UCDavis Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobster M.D.

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all you prospective davis medical students, just thought i would set up a place to talk about the new curriculum, sacramento, when our building will finally be built (anyone know exactly?? like will the anatomy labs be done and not the class rooms, and also is a new library being built too??) anyways i guess i still have a bunch of questions, but i am still for sure going to davis, soo excited, havent recieved my acceptance pack yet (only the phone call), whats in there?? curriculum info, sac info, housing info?? what are everyone's thoughts on housing???? so yea.......... davis!

Members don't see this ad.

I got in!!!! It took forever though

congratulations tifa, davis is the ****!!!!!!!!!!!! had some friends walking around the med center last week, told me thee education center is coming along and looks like a building now! are you going to UCD for sure????

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking forward to the second look! :thumbup:

I hope they start sending us something soon w/info about it.

argonana said:
are you guys going to second look? i'm so excited!

tifa, i see that you got into stanford...is that where you've decided to go?

Congrats to you! I haven't decided where to go yet...i'm hoping second look can help me with that. When is it anyway??

hey you all! dont think i am going to second look, (1. dont have the time 2. i know i want to go to davis 100%), found a pretty cool power point presentation on the web about our new educ. building, looks soo great, i am super excited, it seems though that we will be taking anatomy in davis cause it seems the new anatomy labs are going to be added onto the educ. building as an extension later on, who knows, who cares, i am sooooo pumped about davis

Congrats, you guys! If you've got any questions about anything, really (short of the new facilities. . .we're just about as in the dark as you are), let me know! I'd be happy to answer. :)

hi everyone. it doesn't look like anyone has posted in a while, so i'm not sure if anyone will respond, but i'm wondering: have any of you gotten your financial aid package yet? or any scholarship offers? and if so...do you know whether by accepting an offer we're finalizing our decision to go to Davis? as in we have to remove ourselves from waiting lists?

thanks, and hope to see some of you soon (on second-look weekend)! :)

they've posted a great new description of the curriculum for us new aggies on the class of 2010 web page, it includes an aditional 8 weeks in 3rd year, and an additional 4 weeks in fourth year, also weekly quizzes, i am super excited, i must say i like the overall approach towards teaching the sciences and pathology, we will have to see how many wrinkles will need ironing out, now hurry up and finish the edu. center

lobster M.D. said:
they've posted a great new description of the curriculum for us new aggies on the class of 2010 web page, it includes an aditional 8 weeks in 3rd year, and an additional 4 weeks in fourth year, also weekly quizzes, i am super excited, i must say i like the overall approach towards teaching the sciences and pathology, we will have to see how many wrinkles will need ironing out, now hurry up and finish the edu. center

gotta love your enthusiasm. thanks for keeping this thread alive.

to those who are attending second look: how long are you staying for?? i'm arriving Thursday afternoon and staying until sometime Monday morning...i hope i don't get bored after that long, haha...hopefully it will give me enough time to check out the area and school pretty carefully.

You guys should all definitely go to Second look, and then make sure you come out to Sudwerks afterwards. It will be a lot of the students so you can ask the real questions! It will be fun, look forward to meeting you all!!

I got a UCD SOM CD-ROM today (along with a lot of other stuff in the packet). Very cool! :thumbup:

ALL schools should do this, it gets you all excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
yup. got the packet too. :) thought it would contain my financial aid package, so was a little disappointed, but not after the CD! god i want so badly to be a doctor, and a good and happy one, too!!

how many of you guys going to second look are actually pretty set on going to davis? i hope i'm not the only one...

hey pattaya, got the packet too, it does kinda contain the financial aid package, gives you a student id number to set up a computing account and from there one can access your aid, however, when i finally got to my aid page it said my financial aid package was not yet complete and to return at a later date , it did however have expected parent and student contributions (0 for each, i am going to have loans to the max), good luck finding the aid stuff , i found it somehwat hard, you have to get to he eFAN pages to find it, PM if questions

lobster M.D. said:
hey pattaya, got the packet too, it does kinda contain the financial aid package, gives you a student id number to set up a computing account and from there one can access your aid, however, when i finally got to my aid page it said my financial aid package was not yet complete and to return at a later date , it did however have expected parent and student contributions (0 for each, i am going to have loans to the max), good luck finding the aid stuff , i found it somehwat hard, you have to get to he eFAN pages to find it, PM if questions

thanks! actually i already knew i could access my eFAN, but i assumed my student and parent contributions said $0 because they hadn't issued my award yet. i actually talked to a lady at the financial aid office, she said the awards would be out mid-april...sooo i guess that means mid-may. :)

hey, thanks for the update pattaya, maybe your right and it says zero cause the awards arent up yet, but it made sense for my situation so i assumed it was legit (perhaps not though), i really wanna see my packet though, waiting to see how much in debt i am going to be in is driving me crazy

wow, has anyone noticed the davis singles ad at the top of this thread? they caught onto this thread so quickly!

the cd-rom made its way across the country to me by saturday. i was impressed by the travel time, haha. i think it's really cool that they also included the "things to think about" questionnare...the atmosphere at davis seems so supportive...no other school has sent me anything like this yet.

anyway, i'll stop rambling. can't wait to meet some (or hopefully most) of you on Friday!

hey fellow future aggies, you all may be at second look right now, i was unable to attend, just wanted to see if there were any juicy tidbits i should hear about, or medical education center construction updates, or just any information about the program or how the second look weekend is going in general, thanks for the update, lobsty

alos, how is everyone doing on finding a place to live, have you started looking, condos, apartments, houses, where do you all plan to live, near the med center, natomas, need sac state, downtown, i have been looking alot, but wont make a move for a few months, keep me posted and ill do the same

lobster M.D. said:
hey fellow future aggies, you all may be at second look right now, i was unable to attend, just wanted to see if there were any juicy tidbits i should hear about, or medical education center construction updates, or just any information about the program or how the second look weekend is going in general, thanks for the update, lobsty

alos, how is everyone doing on finding a place to live, have you started looking, condos, apartments, houses, where do you all plan to live, near the med center, natomas, need sac state, downtown, i have been looking alot, but wont make a move for a few months, keep me posted and ill do the same

hey lobster, sorry you couldn't go.

basically the "update" is that we'll have to spend our first semester in davis. :( the new building barely even has walls, and they won't be done until probably october. and because the new curriculum is kinda like semesters rather than quarters, we're gonna wait until the first semester is done and move to sac in january. but dr bera suggested we all find a place to live in sac, not davis, so that's what i'm gonna do.(if you don't have a car, which you probably do, there'll be a shuttle every hour from early in the morning to about 9 at night between sac and davis.)

the c/o 2010 website will be up in a couple weeks, and you can look there for postings about places to live (who's looking for roommates, etc.). dr bera said any place north of broadway is a pretty safe place to live, so i think i'll just find the cheapest and hopefully one close to school.

ummm, and financial aid should be coming out in 10 weeks or so (if you've turned in all your forms, that is.)

i'll let you know if i remember anything else important. :)

Great meeting some of you at second look. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me

Christine - MS1

revisit was fun! there was such a great turnout of med students at sudwerks...i was impressed. :)

i'm thinking about living in the downtown area--i went out there with some friends who go to davis on saturday night, and i really liked it. it's probably too far out to walk to the med center (3 miles), but it's not a long drive out. rent doesn't seem too high...but i need to do more research on other parts of sac...how do you know the area so well, lobs?

p.s. christine, are you one of the new co-directors for joan viteri?

sister is a davis alum, alot of good friends from sac, and i have been actively researching places to live as i really want to find a place to settle for all four years, looks like the area around sac state is cheap, good condos, and near med center, natomas is a bit further out, but you can get alot more for less money, so just pick your poison, right around the medcenter are alot of good houses, but as you go more south/west you can enter some sketchy areas, i think downtown or near sac state is my bet, id like to make it to the med center without getting on the highway but still be close to bars and the fun of downtown, but it is hard, i want a garage, pets allowed, quiet neighborhood, cheap, and near school, hoping to move out there by july 1st, i plan to rent as i feel for buying the market is not really where i would like it to be (oh man if it was only year 2000!!!!!), although if i find the right deal i will go for it, i would hate to end up doing my residency in sac. and have not bought, ill be kicking myself then, i need to escape the parents' domicile ASAP, any of you current/future aggies wilderness buffs?, how many ski days are we going to get this winter, 20 maybe?????? forget studying, im getting a squaw valley season pass

Hey folks,

welcome to UCDSOM! Here is a link that might help out for housing, it's mainly geared towards residents and up, but some of the links may be helpful, especially for getting to know the sacramento area:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/gme/residents/housing_info.html

Like my other classmates, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me :)

argonana said:
p.s. christine, are you one of the new co-directors for joan viteri?

Yep :)

nairay said:
Hey folks,

welcome to UCDSOM! Here is a link that might help out for housing, it's mainly geared towards residents and up, but some of the links may be helpful, especially for getting to know the sacramento area:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/gme/residents/housing_info.html

Like my other classmates, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me :)

HEY NAOMI!!

:)

PreMedAdAG said:

Wow! I met you at the dinner. :)

I have a question for current UCD students--how do you all feel about UCD's small (tiny?!) class size??

For some reason, it's the one thing about Davis I was pretty concerned about after revisit.

Hey Christine! :)

argonana said:
I have a question for current UCD students--how do you all feel about UCD's small (tiny?!) class size??

For some reason, it's the one thing about Davis I was pretty concerned about after revisit.

What are your concerns about the small size?

Coming from a high school with 107 girls in the senior class, to a big public university, going back to the small class size is nice. I don't have a problem with it. We all know and recognize each other by name... everyone's really supportive of each other (babies, engagements, sports, tough times), and have a good time whenever there are get-togethers (which run the spectrum, from the basic TV night to the 40 party).

After a few weeks, people tend to find a "niche" or a closer-knit group of friends, find study buddies for different subjects, workout buddies, etc. I'm not too "in the know" about other people's business, but gossip doesn't seem terribly rampant. It's also nice to recognize MS2s by face and name also, since all the classes are around the same size.

In the event that you might not get along with someone, you're not sitting right next to him/her all the time. The lecture hall is spacious. You don't have to interact with every single person in the class if you don't want to.

Thanks for the response. I went to a girls' high school too, haha...sorta random.

I'm a little burnt out from small classes because I've been in them all my life (52 girls in my high school class, 380-400 people in my class in college, teeny classes in grade school...). I got tired of the cliques, lack of diversity (hopefully Davis is better with that), lack of privacy/personal space, etc...I did spend a post-bac year at UCSD, and I really liked how I could just do my own thing and meet so many different people in that environment. I felt so much more relaxed and engaged there.

My interviewer actually grilled me a bit on my tiny girls' prep school experience (he'd actually read up on the school). I thought it was irrelevant at the time, but now I wonder whether he was trying to figure out whether I'd be a good fit for Davis!

argonana said:
Thanks for the response. I went to a girls' high school too, haha...sorta random.

I'm a little burnt out from small classes because I've been in them all my life (52 girls in my high school class, 380-400 people in my class in college, teeny classes in grade school...). I got tired of the cliques, lack of diversity (hopefully Davis is better with that), lack of privacy/personal space, etc...I did spend a post-bac year at UCSD, and I really liked how I could just do my own thing and meet so many different people in that environment. I felt so much more relaxed and engaged there.

My interviewer actually grilled me a bit on my tiny girls' prep school experience (he'd actually read up on the school). I thought it was irrelevant at the time, but now I wonder whether he was trying to figure out whether I'd be a good fit for Davis!

Hey, I'm glad I met you! Also I think I can echo what nairay said. There are only 93 which makes me feel like we get more attention by our professors and you have basically everyone's IM, e-mail, cell phone etc. and I end up getting random calls all the time and because I know my classmates so well I think it's really nice. I can understand about the cliquey thing and sure people form their own network of close friends, but I feel comfortable sitting and chatting and being in small groups with just about anyone in our class. Davis is VERY diverse. I think diverse enough where you can find a niche and feel good about it. There are plenty of people who maintain their personal space. I think it's a personal choice in med school. A lot of people have families to be with or boyfriends, or girlfriends, etc. And honestly, sometimes we probably do hang out too much so you just say, "nope! not tonight!" and move on. I don't think anyone really cares. Personally I like knowing who is organized, who is ultra smart, who takes good notes, who regularly attends class, who likes to drink, who likes to workout, who likes to go out on adventures, etc. that way I know who to call when I need a little support!!!

Bottome line... you should come here ;)

anyone's financial aid packages out yet???? i have been checking alot, seems like total cost went up from 41K to 43,380K, hmmmmmmmmm?? wonder what we just bought for 3 grand?? anyways, i am still pumped and eager for info, hoping our site goes up soon, anyone find a place to live yet??.......................yea im anxious. bump bump bump

financial aid is out!! (well, for me at least) i got the e-mail today. looks exactly like what i expected: loans, loans, and more loans. except they did offer that middle portion as a $10,000 grant. and of course they said i had 100% need (the whole 43 thou).

do you guys know how the UC's compare in terms of financial aid? cuz i'm on the waitlist at a couple others, and they haven't even started processing my finaid (they won't until--unless--i'm accepted, i guess).

Hi, All. I fianlly got the phone call from Terri yesterday. I'm so glad that I can atten UC Davis. Anyhow, I just have a couple of questions. Does anyone know if the school website has academic calendar for next (this?) year? I found one but it's pretty general and doesn't have enough info. Also is there any webpage containing class schedule for MSI? And the last question, does anyone know where to find a good area to live for a family with school-age children? (Yes, I have two kids.) I know I'm so anxious to know all the details. But that's me! Anyhow, I really look forward to seeing everyone this summer.

Could someone tell me the names of the neighborhoods around Davis? I'm looking at stuff on craigslist and a lot of it lists the neighborhood name, but it doesn't mean anything to me. It would be a lot easier than getting a google map for each listing.

gossmer said:
Could someone tell me the names of the neighborhoods around Davis? I'm looking at stuff on craigslist and a lot of it lists the neighborhood name, but it doesn't mean anything to me. It would be a lot easier than getting a google map for each listing.

Davis is a (relatively) small town, population 55,000, of which 80% are students. Housing is relatively hard to get and expensive.

Sacramento is a much larger city with a lot more housing that is getting cheaper as the market softens. You might want to look for a place to live in Sacto; even if classes don't move over to the new med school until fall of '07, this is where you're going to end up anyways. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions.

I have a question for you. I am wait listed at Davis and am wondering what I should do as far as letting the school know im interested in attending. I sent a letter to the admissions commitee saying i considered davis among my very top choices and am continually impressed with the school. Is there anything else i should do at this point? Should i try to send something to the dean, send an email, or just sit back and wait? Is there really anything at this point that i can do?

evade said:
Congrats, you guys! If you've got any questions about anything, really (short of the new facilities. . .we're just about as in the dark as you are), let me know! I'd be happy to answer. :)

roo425 said:
Hi, All. I fianlly got the phone call from Terri yesterday. I'm so glad that I can atten UC Davis. Anyhow, I just have a couple of questions. Does anyone know if the school website has academic calendar for next (this?) year? I found one but it's pretty general and doesn't have enough info. Also is there any webpage containing class schedule for MSI? And the last question, does anyone know where to find a good area to live for a family with school-age children? (Yes, I have two kids.) I know I'm so anxious to know all the details. But that's me! Anyhow, I really look forward to seeing everyone this summer.

Congratulations!!!

http://som.ucdavis.edu/students/ocs/Calend.pdf

is the closest thing to the academic calendar you'll find. This is probably the one you found :) Since they are still tinkering with the new curriculum schedule for you guys, the weekly schedule won't be up for a while (even for us, it's usually not finalized until the week or few weeks before school starts). You'll probably get more information as the start date nears.

http://som.ucdavis.edu/students/courses/

is the current curriculum that we have, if you are interested in the classes you'll take. You can click on the individual subjects and get a basic idea of the lectures you'll get. Keep in mind the schedule WILL be different from what's on the website. But the content is probably gonna be the same.

I found a working copy of the new schedule in a copy room a couple of months ago, and while it was not finalized then, it appeared that mornings would be devoted to lectures (gross anatomy, histology, physiology, biochem/cell bio, etc), afternoons devoted primarily for labs/discussions/conferences, usually one day a week that was more lax than the other (these are usually Doctoring days, you will love them because you have a lot more free time on those days!), and quizzes on mondays. We just finished our Reproduction unit, and the main instructor said that the first years will be taking it sometime during the first semester as well, so that's in there somewhere.

As for family housing, UCD has graduate/family housing in Orchard Park and Russell Park. I'm still learning more about Sacramento myself, so I can't really say much about neighborhoods there. And we'll be starting classes there in January.

Hope that helps! Congrats again, I found out I got in pretty much 1 year ago too :)

gossmer said:

It's pretty easy, it's North/South/East/West/Central Davis.

http://daviswiki.org/ is a good site to get oriented with Davis, there's also a map with descriptions of the different areas (in the "Davis Orientation," "Navigating Davis" section). They also have some reviews of the different complexes if you're interested (they might be from disgruntled tenants though, take them with a grain of salt). Keep in mind most places have September-September leases, so if you want to move to Sacramento in January you probably don't want to sign into a year long lease.

gossmer said:

New website to ask about housing, look for roommates, etc for 2010

http://cim.ucdavis.edu/classpages/2010/

You can look for information off of daviswiki.org and also http://chl.ucdavis.edu/ has some listings from other students. Quick rundown of all the neighborhoods.

Downtown Davis has some apartments, but they're generally older and not as quiet as med students would like.

South Davis is the nicer area but it is also more expensive.

North Davis is cheaper and has a lot more complexes. It seems to be one of the more popular options for people in my class.

Central Davis near the ugrad and med campus has older offerings and tend to be a bit more expensive. But it is a lot more convenient and easy to bike to school or even walk from this area.

argonana said:

To respond to the diversity question...I dont go to Davis med school (well hopefully i will) but i live in Davis. Davis is relatively diverse for its size. Sac is extremely diverse. In fact, it is considered one of the most diverse cities in the US. As for the class and people you will work with, the other reponses are more worth your time!! =)

Hey guys....I'm a newbie....I just got into davis and super stoked...Just wanted to let you guys know...I live in sacramento and if you need help finding places or recommendations..ask away..I'm here to help. Looking forward to meeting all of you guys...A bit nervous...but excited....:)

Hey guys,

I recently got into Davis and am choosing between Davis and Irvine. Anyone else have to do this? Any thoughts? Thanks! :D

congrats pearlbo and sdsod, ive spent the last 6 years in san diego (pacific beach to be exact) and decided to head to davis partly cause i am originally from northern cali, the activities and environments up here just fit me better, i didnt have to decide between davis and irvine, but i still would have chose davis due to location (huge for me), fact that i wanted a brand new environment (not a fan of LA area), also the program seems really exciting (i like being involved in a new curr. and the new facilities are going to be awesome), and sac. is so much cheaper than socal to live, to sdsod i would go with your gut, both schools will teach you medicine, but where will you feel happiest???, hey pearlbo, i already got a place in sac and am moving up sometime in the next month or two, i know no one in the area!!! so it may be a somewhat boring and depressing month of july, maybe we could hang out or connect with some current M1s, anyways, we will have to see, i would love to make some friends before classes start, i am currently excited and terrified in equally large quantities

hey guys, congrats! i'm glad to hear you're all nervous too, and i would definitely like to make friends before school starts! it'll make the transition so much easier, for me at least. we should all go to sacramento and meet up with pearlbo, or you should come to sf and visit me!! heh i'm serious, let me know.

are you all looking for housing already? dr bera said something about avoiding south of broadway areas. i just want to live near downtown, where there's a 24fitness. if i don't have a gym i'll go nuts.

Congrats pearlbo and sdsod!

I had to choose between Davis and Irvine last year. Like Lobster said, go where you'll feel happiest. I'm from LA and went to UCI for undergrad; while it would've been nice to be familiar with the area and know some people already at the med school and be close to my friends, I desperately wanted the change of scene. (I've also never really been to NorCal except for a few trips to SF/Monterey). Housing is (slightly) cheaper in Davis and a LOT cheaper in Sacramento. I've gone to Lake Tahoe, Napa, SF, a bunch of MS1s are going to Big Sur this weekend, etc. It's definitely different from SoCal, but I really like it. (except for the allergies). I like biking to school and saving gas money and getting a workout all in one shot. I like the fact we'll be closer to the hospital in January, and all in all, I felt a really good "vibe" when I came here for my interview and thought I'd be really happy here, and I am!

If you're gonna be in the area this summer, feel free to meet up with us almost-MS2s. A bunch of us are gonna be around.

As for housing, yeah, avoid places south of Broadway. It's up to you if you want to live close to the med center or if you want to live a little bit away, to get away from it all. I'm looking at places near Arden or Sac State.

Hello nairay, pattayapus and lobster -- I have lived in Sacto since 1993 and will be here for most of the summer (excepting a couple of weeks in june for a trip back east) and I would love to get to know all of you before school starts. Feel free to PM me for my real email address and phone number so we can make arrangements for when you come to town. My last day at work is this friday so I'm going to have all the time in the world on my hands.

Anyone else apply to this program?????

Hi all- I just wanted to congratulate the next generation! I am a graduating senior and if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

pattayapus said:
hey guys, congrats! i'm glad to hear you're all nervous too, and i would definitely like to make friends before school starts! it'll make the transition so much easier, for me at least. we should all go to sacramento and meet up with pearlbo, or you should come to sf and visit me!! heh i'm serious, let me know.

are you all looking for housing already? dr bera said something about avoiding south of broadway areas. i just want to live near downtown, where there's a 24fitness. if i don't have a gym i'll go nuts.

Pattayapus and Lobster MD or anyone else!!!! Let's totally meet up before stuff hits the fan...I will be backpacking through Asia late june/early July and am totally free anytime before or after my trip..It will be really nice to see some familiar faces at orientation...which by the way; does anyone know what happens during orientation? Do we get initiated dazed and confused style? What are we supposed to wear the first day? no flip flops? just wondering...thanks!