UCF vs Creighton (PHX) vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

histhreepointerbang

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a CA resident seeking some help on deciding between these 3 schools. I don't have an exact idea of which specialty I'm interested in, though I'd like to go somewhere with a chance to pursue something competitive if I decide to.

UCF
Pros
  • Supportive environment and students and faculty seemed pretty happy
  • Seems like they match well
  • Was given 15k/year so total COA ends up being around 70k/year
  • Research project built into curriculum

Cons
  • Graded preclinical AND clinical curriculum (probably the biggest downside)
  • Very far from home
  • Rotations all around Florida including through HCA

Creighton (Phoenix)
Pros
  • H/P/F grading all 4 years with no rankings
  • Supportive faculty
  • PHX is closer to the west coast and home, where I'm hoping to end up post med school

Cons
  • Religious affiliation. I'm not religious and I got the vibe that religion was important to a lot of the students/faculty.
  • No university hospital and less home programs for networking at school
  • Estimated COA is high near $100k/year, though I've yet to receive my aid package
SLU
Pros
  • True P/F w/ 1.5 preclinical curriculum
  • Seems to match decently well across the board
  • Cheaper COL in St louis
  • Home residency programs in many specialties

Cons
  • Quartile ranking based on clinical rotations performance, which is disclosed to residencies
  • Less emphasis on research (?)
  • Not too hype about St Louis as a city / cold and hot/humid weather

Speaking to a few mentors of mine, I've been encouraged to try and go to school with a university hospital attached as that would help with gaining experience and relationships, especially if I decide I want something competitive. As of right now, I'm leaning towards SLU but still not 100% sure about this. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be cautious about UCF for the simple fact that it’s graded all 4 yrs. So many people say to go to a P/F school if you can and there’s a reason: med school is hard, but making things P/F makes it a little less stressful and encourages a more collaborative environment. That will be really important for your wellness and your overall experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Creighton and felt like there was very little reference to religion. It’s crucial that you will be in place that’s comfortable for the next 4 years. I would choose Creighton. Phoenix is great and close to your family. Florida wouldn’t be bad either!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed at Creighton and felt like there was very little reference to religion. It’s crucial that you will be in place that’s comfortable for the next 4 years. I would choose Creighton. Phoenix is great and close to your family. Florida wouldn’t be bad either!
Yes, stl is not that nice

How does COA at SLU compare? I would be partial to them as the most established school with home programs in every specialty and best preclinical curriculum (1.5 yr p/f)