UCF vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theartfuldodger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just another applicant here struggling with deciding on a school. I'm hoping to get any opinions on my personal situation. These are the two schools I've managed to narrow my choices down to:

UCF
- Prestige: new M.D program, not very well known at the moment; however many say it has lots of potential
- Location: Orlando is an amazing city, 2 hours away from family & close friends, warm and sunny, beaches!
- Tuition: in-state applicant, so about 50k a year
- Hospital System: M.D Anderson, Orlando Health, Florida Hospital, Nemours Children's, new V.A hospital (second largest in nation). Also Florida Hospital is ranked as the best in FL, great diversity and huge population to serve.
- Match List: charter class just graduated, but according to doctors I've spoken with, it's a pretty strong list for a first year match. http://med.ucf.edu/media/2012/08/Match-Results-2013-without-names.pdf
- Step Scores: charter class' was like a 224, but has improved to about a 235 since then.
- Research: required research project for all students, plenty of opportunities I think
- LizzyM Score: 70

MCW
- Prestige: excluding the new 2015 USNews rankings, has consistently been a rank 45-50 school, so solid middle-tier.
- Location: Milwaukee/the suburb MCW is in are pretty decent. However, I've been living in the north for the past half a year and I pretty much hate the cold and potholes everywhere. Also, very far from family and my support network
- Tuition: about 70k I think
- Hospital System: Milwaukee Regional Medical Center is pretty solid. I like how everything is located in one spot. Children's Hospital of Wisconsin is consistently ranked as one of the best pediatrics hospitals. Froedtert is also pretty solid.
- Match List: after searching for the past few years worth of match lists, according to my med school and doctor friends, they look pretty solid. Students match into all specialties each year.
- Step Scores: reported average on my interview day was about a 235 also.
- Research: many opportunities, I glanced through their excel sheet they have put up, lots of research projects available for students to chase after
- LizzyM Score: 69.2

I think there are some other minor details that I've considered, but these are the major highlights. I feel myself leaning towards UCF at the moment. I'm just not fully convinced it's the right step because of how new the school is. I have trepidation about my abilities to pursue competitive specialties. I've talked with a couple M4s there who are matching into competitive ones and they tried to reassure me. I think that I'm feeling UCF, despite its reputation, because of how much potential it has and honestly, location. I'm more of a family and friends-oriented person than I thought unfortunately. I don't know how I feel about being in the north anymore for medical school, residency, or even practice in general. Florida boy!

In a nutshell, I think if I want to be happy, UCF is probably the better choice. However, MCW could maybe be better for me career-wise? Thank you very much for taking the time to read and consider my issue. Sorry if it's long, I tried to keep it brief!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go to MCW if I were you, but it depends on how much you want to live in Orlando. There is a correlation (not a cause and effect relationship) between going to top ~40 ranking med schools and getting into highly competitive residencies.

I'd go to MCW if I were you, but it depends on how much you want to live in Orlando. There is a correlation (not a cause and effect relationship) between going to top ~40 ranking med schools and getting into highly competitive residencies.

I wouldn't spend another $80,000 to go to a cold northern school just because US News and World Report tells me that one has a slightly higher reputation than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure about 70k tuition for mcw? I'm oos as well and mcw would cost me around 45 to 50 if I remember correctly

Reactions: 1 user
Oh oops, yes I was referring to total cost of attendance. Thank you for the insight so far people. I appreciate your posts!

UCF. Seems like you have more connections in Florida. Less expensive tuition is a plus. Other than ranking, it sounds like they have similar things to offer. Plus Florida is warm and sunny. No need for mood therapy lamps. ;) good luck making your decision!

Last edited:
My vote is for UCF as well. As long as you work hard I believe you'll have equal opportunities at either school.

I've also been accepted to both (UCF undergrad currently) and I spent a few days in Milwaukee over break just to check out MCW again. I'm not sure what's going on with the 2015 USNEWS rankings, but MCW is definitely an amazing school. I'm deciding between quite a few schools now and I always find myself comparing one school to UCF instead of the other schools to each other! I think UCF just has a lot of potential. It'll be hard to turn down.

UCF's match list was phenomenal this year. In your position I would go to UCF in-state no hesitation.

Thank you all for the opinions! I'm rolling with UCF, this year's match list was crazy for a second match and proved that I just need to work hard and they'll open doors. Staying warm all year in FL!

Reactions: 2 users