UCF vs. SUNY Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkperson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Downstate is closer to home for me, but UCF has newer facilities, a more innovative curriculum and seems more supportive. You can’t beat NYC hospitals though. Any and all insights would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You literally can beat nyc hospital. Unless it’s Columbia you can. They are malignant. Take UCF and enjoy the sunshine

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I made a more fleshed-out pro/con list. For context, I am from the NYC area. I have extensive experience in derm and love it, and will likely pursue it as a specialty. I have worked with derms in NYC and Boston.

Downstate
Pros
  • Closer to home, family + friends close (i.e. support network close), only 20 miles away
  • Well-established
  • More people match into derm than UCF (31 vs 21, = total # of people who matched from 2014-2020)
  • NYC--very diverse patient base, many great hospitals close by, lots of hands on experience in clinical years
  • Access to residency programs in NYC likely higher
  • In-state tuition (may balance out w/ UCF because of high cost of living)

Cons
  • Old facilities

• High rent
  • Cold winters

• Had a bad taste in my mouth after the interview, and oftentimes who interviews you is +/- a decent reflection of who will be teaching you, but it may have been a fluke
  • May be more tempted to go home often, esp. during stressful times, which may not necessarily be beneficial.

UCF
Pros

• New facilities
  • Cheaper cost of living
  • Much more innovation--anatomage tables, full-body CT of cadavers→ new tech might make me more marketable?
  • Warm year-round
  • Diverse patient base
  • Higher % of dermatology matches matched into a top 20 program (based on 2014 rankings, which are the most recent I could get)--23.8% vs. 22.6% for Downstate: not too terribly high of a difference, however
  • I had a better feeling coming out of interview day here than at Downstate, and the community seemed more supportive, positive, and had an overall better energy
  • Nicer faculty (can be a bias based on who I met)
  • Smaller class size (120 cf. ~200 avg for Downstate)
  • Commitment to student well- being had more of an impression on me than at Downstate
  • New environment that I can explore, might help me learn more about myself
  • Gives me a bubble to be a student without easy access to home, which may help academically, socially (???)

Cons
  • Not a lot of docs know about it, so that may indicate that it doesn’t yet have a deeply established reputation in the residency director sphere
  • Have to buy airline tickets to fly home, far (1200 mi.)
  • Don’t know anybody there
  • University’s teaching hospital only opening this year, whereas at Downstate there is one already that is established
  • Concentration of hospitals not like NYC, and they're smaller; less likely to see highly unusual cases
  • Spring and summer might also be unbearably hot
  • Doesn’t have an established home derm dept like downstate has

Doesn’t have an established home derm dept like downstate has
If you are 100% set on Derm, having that home program helps immensely with connections, applications and research. Plus I believe Downstate will start accepting 3-4 of it’s own students per year instead of only 2 which could be helpful.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I hear downstate provides a very hands on clinical education to its students. The clinical education at UCF seems disorganized but once you get in on a rotation the clinical experience still may be very good. Can’t say since I haven’t experienced it.

It’s seems like Down State has proven track record and a established reputation. For Derm, this is pretty important since connections and networking is King. Still, you could do well at UCF and from your Pro/Cons, I get the vibe you prefer UCF.

Downstate keeps you close to home and this may prove to more important than you currently think since med school is a roller coaster.

From that standpoint, I’d pick Down State because of your proximity to home

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure about UCF but our curriculum is pretty solid. 1.5 yr of preclinical (-> more clinical experience -> better prep for step 2), NBME tests, and exams only at the end of block (every 8-10 weeks). This leads to a pretty well-balanced lifestyle and more time to pursue research if you're gunning for derm. Also Step1 will be p/f by the time you take it so school reputation and step 2 will become more important for residency.

Reactions: 1 user
solid. 1.5 yr of preclinical (-> more clinical experience -> better prep for step 2), NBME tests, and exams only at the end of block (every 8-10 weeks). This leads to a pretty well-balanced lifestyle and more time to pursue research if you're gunning for derm.
Downstate has the same exact layout and it is AMAZING. I wish more schools had it like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.