UChicago hold

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yes, Mar 27, 2001.

1. yes

yes Junior Member

Anyone who interviewed at UChicago and got put on the "we haven't decided on you yet we'll look at you later" hold-list get a response yet? The letter says you should hear something by mid-March; haven't heard a word.

v.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gower

gower 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Taking as accurate what you told us you heard, it seems they haven't even decided to put you on a wait list.
    Of those interviewed, approx 35% are accepted. The other interviewed applicants are placed on a wait list. Students are notified of their status within 3 weeks of interview.

The class is oversubscribed by approx. 100% by May 1. Class size is about 104, meaning that by May 1 they have offered 208 accepts.

The wait-list consists of three categories of decreasing priority and increasing size.

If my GUESS that at the moment there is no decision on the status of your candidacy, draw your own conclusion. If you belong to the optimist club, good for you; I have been a lifelong pessimist about everything. Like Chicken Little saw it, the sky is always falling.

Pritzker is a top dog med school, so you must be a very viable candidate to begin with and I would suppose you already have good news from elsewhere. There is no figuring out for sure the reason why one medical school thinks you are fine and accepts you, another puts you on a wait list, and a third rejects you. One answer I have is that these decisions are made by humans, not a computer. Especially related to this comment is that the human element clearly enters most prominently in the interview: you are the same person, but the interviewers are different and you yourself may respond or behave differently according to your reaction to different personalities and style. You may tighten up with a perceived more aggressive interviewer, relax with a non-threatening one. In this sense, it is a crap shoot.

I echo Mr. Spock's sentiment: live long and prosper.