Uchicago vs. Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longshot6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Redacted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong. Both are amazing schools - one is not more "prestigious" than the other to any great degree. I'd take the full tuition scholarship and run. You love the community, you're close to family. Honestly I think this is a no brainer!

Reactions: 2 users
50k is essentially 100% of tuition at Hopkins. You'd be crazy to turn down a full tuition scholarship to Hopkins, in my very biased opinion. Living in the area around U Chicago isn't a huge step up from living in Baltimore anyways!

You can't go wrong. Both are amazing schools - one is not more "prestigious" than the other to any great degree. I'd take the full tuition scholarship and run. You love the community, you're close to family. Honestly I think this is a no brainer!
Are Hopkins and UChicago that similar in reputation? I am basing this off usnews, which I know isn't the best way. If they are similar, I think I have a clear favorite.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are Hopkins and UChicago that similar in reputation? I am basing this off usnews, which I know isn't the best way. If they are similar, I think I have a clear favorite.
Hopkins is the bigger name especially in residencies and you have the same scholarship to both schools (both are full coverage of tuition). That said, if you'd be happier in Chicago for personal reasons like nearby family, or if youd want to live and practice in Chicago long term, then stay.

OP, if your family is from the Chicago area, then you must know what an island Hyde Park is, surrounded by some of the most violent high-crime neighborhoods around such as Englewood. You'd have to have some extremely strong family ties to turn down the offer you have from Hopkins in favor of Pritzker. If I were you, I'd go to Hopkins with plans to match back in Chicago (preferably at a Northwestern program).

Reactions: 1 user
OP, if your family is from the Chicago area, then you must know what an island Hyde Park is, surrounded by some of the most violent high-crime neighborhoods around such as Englewood. You'd have to have some extremely strong family ties to turn down the offer you have from Hopkins in favor of Pritzker. If I were you, I'd go to Hopkins with plans to match back in Chicago (preferably at a Northwestern program).

Seriously? Baltimore is awful too.

Reactions: 5 users
I mean, walking a little ways off the Hopkins med campus puts you in similar setting, I def wouldn't see it as picking a better place to live

Go with pritzker. Awesome school, close to family. What more could you want? Sure, The neighborhood is bad, but Chicago is great. Can't say the same about Baltimore.

I say Uchicago. Going to Uchicago isn’t going to close any doors for you and having your friends and family nearby far outweigh any prestige bump that you would get going to Hopkins.

Full disclosure: Got hit with that post II rejection from Hopkins in December. Still salty about that.

Reactions: 4 users
I say Uchicago. Going to Uchicago isn’t going to close any doors for you and having your friends and family nearby far outweigh any prestige bump that you would get going to Hopkins.

Full disclosure: Got hit with that post II rejection from Hopkins in December. Still salty about that.

Did they also refer to you by your last name by accident? (ie Dear Smith, instead of Dear Joe or Dear Mr. Smith)

I mean, walking a little ways off the Hopkins med campus puts you in similar setting, I def wouldn't see it as picking a better place to live
lol "little ways" meaning half a block down broadway or monument

awesome choice to have, I'd go where you feel like you'll be happier, both are great options.

Hey @Longshot6 congratulations on your acceptances! I remember you from the Mayo thread if I’m not mistaken. What specialty(s) are you considering? Are you thinking of doing additional degrees? Do you feel you vibe with the culture at one school over another? Do you want a “new adventure”? There’s a lot to consider and this is absolutely a big decision if you answer my questions then I’ll give you an objective opinion. Congrats again