UChicago vs. UPitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RonBurgundy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one did you like better/why?

Members don't see this ad.

RonBurgundy said:
UPitt...they interviewed/accepted me :D

u cant be chicago as a city. its amazing.

kids are pitt are super competitive. culture at a school is important for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
attaboybambeeks said:
u cant be chicago as a city. its amazing.

Kids at Pitt are super competitive? Where did you get that? All I've been hearing is that the student body is really supportive of each other (which is the impression I got when I visited), and that students at Pritzker are hardcore and competitive.

attaboybambeeks said:

100% not true.

RonBurgundy said:
Are you accepted to both of those schools? If so, you can't make a bad choice as far as the education you'd get at either school. Go to your second look weekends, see what your financial aid packages look like, and then you'll know which one to pick.

attaboybambeeks said:

My impression while visiting Pitt (and staying with a student and hanging out with a bunch of them) was that this wasn't the case at ALL

attaboybambeeks said:

Crap. That was not my observation at all. In fact, they seemed less snotty than the people I saw at other (lower ranked) schools.

Don't pick U Chicago. I hate them.

(They rejected me)

mercaptovizadeh said:
Crap. That was not my observation at all. In fact, they seemed less snotty than the people I saw at other (lower ranked) schools.

Yes. People at Pitt Med are normal, nice, non-competitive people. It is an excellent place to study medicine. I would not pick any school in the country over Pitt.

ok...you all go to an interview one day and all of a sudden are already making generalizations about how competitive or non-competitive the students are....u haven't spent a week with these so called non-competitive or competitive students to truly understand how they are. Just cause they smile at you and eveyone seems happy doesn't mean there is not some cutthroat competition going on...
There are 100+ students in most/all medical schools and i am sure you would find the competitive, non-competitive and middle students within the bunch. Make your decision on financial aid, future chance of practicing in surrounding area, rotations, family and friends in close proximity and other things that are more important. When u get to medical school, find your niche.

It is impossible for me to compare directly the two schools since I havenever seen Pitt, but I loved UChicago. The curriculum is pass/fail with basis science didactic education. The facilities are gorgeous, it is attached directly with the rest of the campus, Hyde Park is actually very nice, Chicago is an amazing city, students were very happy, mature and intelligent, it is is incredibly well respected by the rest of the medical community (more so than Pitt, albeit marginally, even though Pitt has a higher research ranking). I guess I also love Chicago because I might be going there next year!!!!! Midwesterners rule!!

I think both cities are cool in its own ways, but I think I prefer Pitt over Chicago. True, Chicago may be P/F and Pitt is H/P/F, but Pitt definitely isn't competitive for the most part. Pitt's facilities are amazing, including the simulation lab. UChicago's hospital, in terms of appearance, looks a bit old. Also, Chicago's curriculum seems a bit traditional, the students are in class from 9-5 on some days, but that may change with the new curriculum next yr. Also, one thing about Chicago that made me a bit weary is that the students don't do that awesome on the boards...but then again, that may change with the new curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
While I haven't and won't get the chance to see Chicago. I think they are both perfectly equal in terms of respect in the medical community. I have heard from a few people that they did not like Chicago at all when they interviewed there, but then again plenty of people have loved it.

IgweEmeka said:
ok...you all go to an interview one day and all of a sudden are already making generalizations about how competitive or non-competitive the students are....u haven't spent a week with these so called non-competitive or competitive students to truly understand how they are. Just cause they smile at you and eveyone seems happy doesn't mean there is not some cutthroat competition going on...
There are 100+ students in most/all medical schools and i am sure you would find the competitive, non-competitive and middle students within the bunch. Make your decision on financial aid, future chance of practicing in surrounding area, rotations, family and friends in close proximity and other things that are more important. When u get to medical school, find your niche.

I GO to Pitt. I think I can make statements about my class.

VFTW said:
I GO to Pitt. I think I can make statements about my class.

How dare you make such bold statements about something you know about.

:p

banana.gif

ti89 said:
How dare you make such bold statements about something you know about.

:p

banana.gif

:laugh:

And, ti89, NICE dancing banana!

what this new u of chicago curriclum people are talking about? they didn't say anything about it on the interview day...

acepoint said:
what this new u of chicago curriclum people are talking about? they didn't say anything about it on the interview day...

Yeah I am curious as well. I don't remember hearing anything about a new curriculum. As this is currently the place I will be attending next year, I would be very interested in learning this from someone. Thanks yall!!

Competition is good. It makes people perform when they otherwise wouldn't. I don't know why everyone on this forum hates competition. If we didn't have it, we'd all still be sleeping in tents and smelling like dead fish. If you work in a non-competitive environment, you're selling yourself short.

I made a thread about safety in Hyde Park (UChicago) and was wondering what you guys thought about the area.

I don't believe they are revamping the curriculum for next year. I talked with the Dean of Admissions about it- he they are just starting committee (faculty, students, etc.) discussions about what should be changed in the curriculum. He says nothing drastic is planned, just slight changes here and there.

He did say something about what they though needed to be changed, but I forgot what it was!! It may have had something to do with keeping up with current advances in medicine (increasing use of Genetics, etc.), but I really can't remember!