Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UCI alternate list email. ANYONE ?????

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by altaskier, Apr 2, 2002.

1. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

Okay, I got this email today saying that I was chosen as an Alternate at UCI. Did anyone else get this email? Is alternate the same as waitlist? I should say that I did recieve an email saying that I had been waitlisted, but I then recieved this email today saying that I was placed on the alternate list. So I'm trying to see if there is indeed a difference between being an alternate and being on the waitlist. It probably is the same.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. altaskier

7+ Year Member

Okay I figured it out, it is the same thing as being waitlisted. Sorry for the confusion.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. El Jefe

El Jefe The Jefe
    7+ Year Member

Just out of curiosity, when did you interview? And after you interviewed did you get put on hold, or did you immediately get put on this alternate list?

4. Darwin

10+ Year Member

Altaskier - I got the same e-mail

Jefe - I think I was placed on hold or something because I interviewed way back in Jan. I had to call and they told me that I wasn't accepted at that time but that in April I would be placed on the alternate list. So it seems they had everyone in this "hold" category and didn't formulate the alternate list until recently.

5. altaskier

7+ Year Member

So do you think that being put on "HOLD" is different than being on the Alternate list? I highly doubt it! I thought I had come to the conclusion that being put on hold is the same as being on the alternate list (I'm talking post interview here).

6. El Jefe

El Jefe The Jefe
    7+ Year Member

Well about a month after I interviewed I got an email notifying me that I was placed on hold. The email said that in JUNE my file will be reviewed for a possible place on the alternate list. So I don't think they are the same thing.

7. altaskier

7+ Year Member

This is puzzling.............I wonder if there is a difference between being put on hold and being put on the alternate list? Or if it is just that before with all the AMCAS mess ups, they didn't have time to form an alternate list so they put everyone on what they termed hold, and now they recently transferred everyone to the alternate list?

8. souljah1

souljah1 Attending
    10+ Year Member

I think that if you are put on hold, your file is reevaluated in June or something, afterwhich, you are either rejected or placed on the alternate list. I could be wrong, but I remember Gayle saying something like that.

9. altaskier

7+ Year Member

Did anyone else recieve the email saying that they were placed on HOLD? If so, when did you get it and how long after interviewing was it?

10. Aria111

Aria111 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was placed on the waitlist 5 weeks after interviewing. My e mail said nothing about Hold or Alternate lists- only that my file would be up for review again in June...who knows?

11. Kazzar

Kazzar Psychiatrist
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got the same thing - my application is on hold until June to be evaluated for placement on the alternate list. I interviewed November 8 and was sent the email January 15.

12. nray

nray Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is UCI's class full? I am assuming this must be the case considering that March 15 is the day all schools must have released enough acceptances to fill their class. That would mean that at this point if we haven't heard that we are all waitlisted or rejected right?

13. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

So has anyone actually spoken to someone at UCI about the size of the alternate list, and the number of acceptances they have given out? I got placed on the alternate list and I'd like to know where I stand.

14. McEntrye

McEntrye Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I believe that on the interview day, they said everyone is either placed on the alternate list or accecpted. They don't reject anyone post-interview. Then some number of people will turn UCI down, and a large number of people will get in off the waitlist. They said that about half the interviewees will get in 'eventually;' Since they interview ~400, and there are 92 spots in their class, that means approximately one hundred people will get in off the waitlist. This assumes that they will accept their top 92 and work their way down the list come June(starting May 15, after which you cannot hold more than one acceptance).
    On a similiar note, I have read in other posts that 40% of their class is from the waitlist, so one would assume that a fair number of people who get in off the waitlist also turn down UCI.
    Hope this clears things up a bit. Me, I also got the 'alternate' email at the end of March, about 5 weeks after my interview.

p.s. Are any of you guys holding other acceptances, but are waiting to hear from UCI/other schools?

15. altaskier

7+ Year Member

That sounds correct McEntyre. You know what I'd be curious in knowing: Whether after you interview, people are either placed on hold or on the alternate list and then come June, the people still on hold are rejected and the people on the alternate list are selected?

16. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat
    7+ Year Member

I know that they SAID that everyone is either accepted or placed on the alternate list, but now people are talking about being put on hold. So that is where my curiosity about the number of people accepted/alternate-listed arises from. Any info about these two forms of purgatory is welcome.

17. altaskier

7+ Year Member

you are right too bjc...they did say that on the interview day..and that is why I'm so confused right now trying to figure this all out. Maybe I should ask

Has anyone interviewed and been put on HOLD, but not yet on the alternate list?