UCI Alternate / Wait List 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IheartAntEaters

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't see a thread like this yet, so I'll start one. Anyone else on the waitlist and anxiously waiting? Anyone know how the alternate list works? Do they rank? Has anyone gotten OFF the waitlist yet? :rolleyes:

I'm from NY and UCI is my only opportunity experience CA!

Maybe we can all post info here as we find out

Members don't see this ad.

i was waitlisted way back in november, havent heard a word since

yeah, hopefully you will be hearing good news shortly after may 15h

:luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
what was it that dr. peterson said about emailing us waitlisters after may 15th about still wanting to be on the waitlist etc? i kind of forget

I have a feeling the waitlist is ranked, because someone I know who was waitlisted about the same time I was asked if the waitlist was ranked and they wouldn't sat no. They also wouldn't tell him where he was on the waitlist, though. If it is ranked, I'm hoping I'm ranked high enough to get accepted, since UCI is my only chance at getting into a CA med school (Why, UCSF? 3 1/2 months for a rejection :(). Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

i'm definitely subscribing to this thread! I want to hear some good news, people! We're almost there! :thumbup: :luck:

anyone gotten off the waitlist yet?

Hey guys, current UCI MSI here.

From what I've heard (granted its hearsay) the waitlist is not ranked. They rereview everyone everytime someone withdraws. And they try to refill the spot with a similar applicant (eg if a female who is interested in underserved communities drops then they will refill it with the same). I'd be surprised if it were ranked from what I've heard about how UCI picks its matriculants. They really like keeping a good mix of types of people and assigning people numbers just doesn't accomplish that.

Last year a few people got off the waitlist in April and May, then many more in June and July. There won't be that much movement right after May 15th as replacing people takes time and the withdrawal process really is pretty slow (eg. someone gets off the waitlist at somewhere else May 20th, then they have a week to withdraw from UCI, then UCI has to pick someone else). The whole sudden movement after May 15th is kind of a myth - it takes longer. If you search posts by me and waitlist or maybe alternate list back in May of last year I made a few posts that consisted of lists of when people in the past had gotten off the waitlist - if you're REALLY neurotic and want to see when movement occurred past years.

Don't lose hope - from people I spoke to about 1/3 of my class came off the waitlist. So your odds are good.

And yes, Gayle should send you an email soon about whether or not you want to stay on the waitlist - make sure you respond.

GOOD LUCK!

thanks a lot for the info, alwaysaangel!! :D

I haven't even heard back from UCI yet. I interviewed on the last interview day. But I have a feeling they'll probably put me on the alternate list, if not rejected. :( waiting waiting waiting...

I got waitlisted today :( I interviewed on the last interview day(4/21). Those of you who interviewed on the 21st might want to check your status pages. They didn't send an email.

I got put on the alternate list today as well. I thought I had a really good interview, too. I guess not...

lets bring this thread back to life....im on the waitlist too and UCI is my number 1 choice!!!

I just got a call from Dr. Peterson! Best phone call of my life!! (she actually called on Monday, but I was out of the country and just got back today) Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a call from Dr. Peterson! Best phone call of my life!! (she actually called on Monday, but I was out of the country and just got back today) Good luck to everyone still waiting!

YAY Congrats!!!

Wow congrats !!! so did she call you today again or did you get her voicemail from Monday ? I'm still waiting ...

She left me a message on Monday telling me to call her, and that she had something important to tell me. I called as soon as I could this morning and talked to Gayle for a while and then Dr. Peterson called me back. This still has just barely started to sink in! I was just about to reapply!

Congratulations, DrLuigi!!! :) I hope I"ll get that phone call "one day" too......

When did u interview/waitlisted?? did you fill in that form to confirm that "you're still interested in UCI"?

Thanks for all the congrats everyone! I: 2/25, WL: 4/21, A: 5/21

I filled out everything the form asked me to fill out. I think I was actually accepted before I filled out the form, though, since the message from Dr. Peterson on my phone was from Monday, but I didn't fill out the form until Tuesday. It's probably because of all the updates I sent them to let them know I was still interested, though.

:luck: to all, and hopefully we'll meet in August!

i also got waitlisted, what was their average GPA and MCAT

hahhaa i am so close to that

no word here, the waitlist movement seemed to have slowed down. Sucks since its so soon after May 15th.

no word here, the waitlist movement seemed to have slowed down. Sucks since its so soon after May 15th.

dr. peterson said most of the waitlist movement happens in early june. it gives the dust time to settle after may 15 and the adcom time to review waitlisted applicants

Hey Guys,

I just got the call !!! Going to be an anteater for another 4 years! Good luck to everyone still waiting!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

:D:D:D

Hey Guys,

I just got the call !!! Going to be an anteater for another 4 years! Good luck to everyone still waiting!:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Congrats!!!

I remember getting my call in June last year - I was ecstatic.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Hey Guys,

Congrats! Still waiting for mine.

I made the difficult and heart-wrenching decision to withdraw from the waitlist yesterday. I have no idea if my doing so will help any of you here (for all I know, I was dead last on their list), but I really hope it helps someone out.

I got the call on Tuesday :)

Good luck everyone :luck:

any news?

does anyone know how many people are actually ON the waitlist? and how many of the out-of-staters actually get in? (vs CA residents)

anyone wanna call?? :D

any news?

does anyone know how many people are actually ON the waitlist? and how many of the out-of-staters actually get in? (vs CA residents)

anyone wanna call?? :D

Pretty much everyone interviewed and not accepted is on the waitlist.

As far as out of staters- they really aren't that friendly to out of staters. I know it happens, but I also know the numbers aren't very high. I actually can only think of one person at my school I've ever met that wasn't a resident and he was a Katrina victim.

Pretty much everyone interviewed and not accepted is on the waitlist.

As far as out of staters- they really aren't that friendly to out of staters. I know it happens, but I also know the numbers aren't very high. I actually can only think of one person at my school I've ever met that wasn't a resident and he was a Katrina victim.

Wow really? all people that interviewed and didn't get accepted are put on the waiting list? I remember that the dean said during my interview that 1/3 of the people there would be accepted, and 1/3 would be put on the waitlist. Meaning that 1/3 would be rejected.

But I guess what you said makes sense, I'm yet to see a person who interviewed there and got rejected before going on the alternate list.

Last edited:
Wow really? all people that interviewed and didn't get accepted are put on the waiting list? I remember that the dean said during my interview that 1/3 of the people there would be accepted, and 1/3 would be put on the waitlist. Meaning that 1/3 would be rejected.

But I guess what you said makes sense, I'm yet to see a person who interviewed there and didn't get accepted.

I could be wrong. But my year they told us that everyone not outright accepted would be waitlisted, unless you do something horrible.

I think what Dr. Peterson probably said to you guys was that out of the people there that day 1/3 would get in outright and 1/3 would get in later off the waitlist. Thats what she told us last year.

no, i haven't heard a thing...still waiting...

I called the office today to inquire about waitlist movement, Lynn told me that the class is currently full. I asked her if they expect more waitlist movement and how it has been in the previous years. She said that some years the waitlist moves until class starts and some years it doesn't. It is very variable from year to year. I guess this kindda means no WL movement anymore. Ah well.

Has anyone else found that they can no longer login to check the applicant status page?