UCI over UCSD, UCD, UCLA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charliebrown111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering what you opinions are on the benefits of UCI? I'm accepted at sd and d,and i, which is the best in your opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

you are bound to get a variety of answers, when in fact no one can answer that question but you, really has to be a personal choice at this level, did any of the campuses, programs, locations, facilities make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? that is where the answer lies..............................................................and besides, UC Davis is the best

lobster M.D. said:
you are bound to get a variety of answers, when in fact no one can answer that question but you, really has to be a personal choice at this level, did any of the campuses, programs, locations, facilities make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? that is where the answer lies..............................................................and besides, UC Davis is the best

i heard that same piece of advice about the 'warm and fuzzies' from my ucsd interview. problem is, i tend to feel that way about all my interviews right after. then a new school comes along....

Members don't see this ad :)
UCI students know how to have fun

Gracey103 said:
UCI students know how to have fun

After their weekly Monday morning exam!!!

You cannot go wrong with any of these schools...they are in Cali, ppl would kill to have just one. At that level, I would base it on where you want to live in Cali (is it close to family?), the impression that the school has made on you (check out second look weekends for all of these), and financial aid packages. Good luck! Nice choices! :thumbup:

If I had the option, I'd go to UCI over UCSD and UCDavis, but probably not UCLA.

Here is my reasoning: My guiding premise is that your board score is going to determine much of the opportunities that your professional life will benefit from. The manner in which UCI prepares you for the boards is proven; a very direct approach that does not include stressing you out as much as say, UCSD, where learning minutiae is supposed to be the avenue to success but as many have pointed out - is purported to have a very stressful environment. UCDavis' curriculum was recently re-vamped/still being modified, so it might not be as conducive or enjoyable as new things are tested out on your educational career. I know nothing about how well they score (as a class) on the boards, but I assume it's probably around UCSD's #'s. UCLA is UCLA, you can't go too wrong. Their name carries some weight, and (from what I have been told) they consistently score 10-15 points above the national mean - which is very significant.

Alas, board scores may not be that big of a deal to you. But, to an extent, I think they are reflective of something - what that may be is purely speculation (i.e. learning environment, curriculum structure, etc.)

You are lucky to have all of these options, which means you're smart enough to figure out what's best for you.

I think UCLA, UCSD, and UCI all consistently score around the 225-230 range. I would not be surprised if Davis did as well. I can only say this with certainty about UCSD however.

There is so much variation in board scores at any school that I would only take it into account if a school has a very high (around 235) or low mean. Mean scores reflect in part the intelligence and study habits of admitted students who choose to attend, the % of students that need a very high score for a desired competitive specialty, and other factors that influence a school's mean but have no influence on how well you will do.

I said this on another thread, but I think it would be foolish to pick any med school without talking to some of its 4th years. Ask about match (are they and their friends happy with where they're going? did the school do anything specific to help? did the school's reputation seem to help or hurt?); ask about clinical training; ask about malignant rotations; ask if "it was worth it." MS-2's and MS-1's have limited perspective, and let's not even get into the opinions of premeds and people with "friends that go to (School X)"

"Warm and fuzzy" might help you feel good about your decision, but I think that detailed information from people who have spent years at a school will help you make a much more informed decision. There are so many aspects that you are simply not exposed to on interview day.

Mutt said:
If I had the option, I'd go to UCI over UCSD and UCDavis, but probably not UCLA.

Here is my reasoning: My guiding premise is that your board score is going to determine much of the opportunities that your professional life will benefit from. The manner in which UCI prepares you for the boards is proven; a very direct approach that does not include stressing you out as much as say, UCSD, where learning minutiae is supposed to be the avenue to success but as many have pointed out - is purported to have a very stressful environment. UCDavis' curriculum was recently re-vamped/still being modified, so it might not be as conducive or enjoyable as new things are tested out on your educational career. I know nothing about how well they score (as a class) on the boards, but I assume it's probably around UCSD's #'s. UCLA is UCLA, you can't go too wrong. Their name carries some weight, and (from what I have been told) they consistently score 10-15 points above the national mean - which is very significant.

Alas, board scores may not be that big of a deal to you. But, to an extent, I think they are reflective of something - what that may be is purely speculation (i.e. learning environment, curriculum structure, etc.)

You are lucky to have all of these options, which means you're smart enough to figure out what's best for you.

lord_jeebus said:
ask about clinical training; ask about malignant rotations; ask if "it was worth it."

So, what exactly is a malignant rotation(other than a rotation in which it was just a drag?)?

what about the cities these schools are in...? i would think that would be a big factor in your decision. LA is amazing in that you'll never feel frustrated that there's no one there you really connect with, simply because there's pretty much every type of person with every type of interest you could imagine. that's why i'd choose UCLA--i really am a city girl, and proud of it. but i can understand why UCSD and UCD would be great, too. i think both towns have an incredibly friendly rapport and WONDERFUL weather...and don't underestimate the effect of sunshine on your mood. As for UCI, I don't know, I've always been under the impression that it's location is not its biggest strongpoint. Anyone want to prove me wrong? :)

anyways, i'm emphasizing the environment because i think that's a big part of determining how much you'll actually get out of med school, how stable of a person you'll be despite all the pressure and stress, and how much you'll put into your friendships with people. it's hard to put all of yourself into something when you're somewhere that never feels like home...

Mutt said:
So, what exactly is a malignant rotation(other than a rotation in which it was just a drag?)?

For example, a rotation where attendings and/or residents are verbally abusive, not interested in your education, etc. Attendings unleash their angst on residents who dump it on the interns who let it out on you. Women may experience sexual harassment. Racial stereotypes may play a role in evaluation. At one school, a student told me that a resident changed his written evaluation of her after she declined his advances at the end of the rotation.

When I applied to med school I asked 3rd and 4th years at some schools about problems experienced in the clinical years and I got stories about all of the above. It seemed to me that such rotations are not that common at any school, but some schools had more stories than others.

You will not hear about these things if you don't ask.

pattayapus said:
As for UCI, I don't know, I've always been under the impression that it's location is not its biggest strongpoint. Anyone want to prove me wrong? :)

newport beach is 10 min from irvine, so the location is great!

pattayapus said:
but i can understand why UCSD and UCD would be great, too. i think both towns have an incredibly friendly rapport and WONDERFUL weather...and don't underestimate the effect of sunshine on your mood. As for UCI, I don't know, I've always been under the impression that it's location is not its biggest strongpoint. Anyone want to prove me wrong? :)

UCI has a really nice campus with great weather and there is no smog (right?) like there is in LA. Also Davis/Sacramento suffers from extreme weather, its get very hot/dry during the summer, and very cold/icy in the winter. UCD is great in that 1.5+/- hours you can get to tahoe.