UCI Ranked 16th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aria111

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this quote at the bottom of the UCI History Page:
"As we enter the College of Medicine's second century, we will be striving toward the goal Chancellor Laurel Wilkening had set for UCI: to be among the top 50 research institutions in the nation by the year 2000. The College of Medicine, ranked 16th among U.S. medical schools in a recent U.S. News & World Report survey, is poised to lead UCI upward ." :confused:

Was UCI ranked 16th once upon a time? Did it's ranking crash and burn as a result of the scandals a few years back?

Members don't see this ad.

hm. I find that whole quote really odd. I noticed it before. The chancellor talks about wanting to be in the top "50 research institutions." Well that's what most people talk about when they talk about the U.S. News rankings, but there's also the primary care rankings. Maybe that's what UCI was 16th at some time ago.

UCI was never ranked 16th in any national ranking. It was ranked 16th among public universities is my recollection from my interview day. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Laurel Wilkinson was implying top 50 research universities with respect to undergraduate education. I believe the quote is trying to explain how UCI hopes to bring its school of medicine up to par with the undergraduate school's ranking. :D

Ah, that's probably right. Now then, what is keeping UCI down exactly? I just don't think one guy selling bodies could have that much of an impact.

The undergrad of UCI was ranked 16th among public universities, not the MED SCHOOL.

the statement i quoted is VERY misleading...not so cool of them.

Just an FYI....I got curious and checked-UCI (undergrad) was ranked #41 this past year by US News.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•Ah, that's probably right. Now then, what is keeping UCI down exactly? I just don't think one guy selling bodies could have that much of an impact.•••••UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, Stanford, and USC are what's keeping UCI down. UCI just happens to be overshadowed by some very top-notch schools in the same state that happen to divert top students and research funding away.