finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
CA
Status (Visible)
The purpose of this thread is not to bash UC Irvine because it's a great school. I just don't understand why Irvine is ranked above davis, albeit only one spot. Davis has higher peer/residency director assessment scores, a lower acceptance rate, and a lot more NIH grants. They have the same faculty/student ratio, but Davis has lower out of state tuition. Does total enrollment and the slightly higher mcat/gpa average of the enrolling students affect the rankings that significantly? it just seems to me that the assesment and research should be more important than the numbers of the enrolling students...i'm too lazy to do the formula myself. anyone?

About the Ads

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2003
CA
Status (Visible)
yea, irvine's mcat/gpa is slightly higher. i guess in my mind the residency director's opinions and research funding is more important to me than the stats of the incoming class. I'm being trivial...please excuse this dumb thread. :(

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
it might also have something to do with the UCI's prominence in the arena of transplant surgery (=they get more press). just a guess. the rankings are way to subjective to be all that useful anyways.

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
'Eaterville
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Mr Reddly
One spot above UC Davis.:p
:laugh:

Every time I see a post from you, I picture a red-headed kid running all over the UCI campus. Haha :laugh: Thanks for the specific answer to my question though! :p

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Oh don't worry about it if it's like one or two spots below or above...the difference's really insignificant; and one year later, the ranking will be different anyway.

The key things to look at are the trends in Peer Assessment and Residency Director scores...At least those are the most important elements to me. NIH funding is least important to me, unless US News will be willing to show funding to the medical school alone in the future.

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by CalBeE
Oh don't worry about it if it's like one or two spots below or above...the difference's really insignificant; and one year later, the ranking will be different anyway.

The key things to look at are the trends in Peer Assessment and Residency Director scores...At least those are the most important elements to me. NIH funding is least important to me, unless US News will be willing to show funding to the medical school alone in the future.

When are the new rankings coming out btw? April 1st ?

UCSBMed1

SoCal Hater
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by finnpipette
The purpose of this thread is not to bash UC Irvine because it's a great school. I just don't understand why Irvine is ranked above davis, albeit only one spot. Davis has higher peer/residency director assessment scores, a lower acceptance rate, and a lot more NIH grants. They have the same faculty/student ratio, but Davis has lower out of state tuition. Does total enrollment and the slightly higher mcat/gpa average of the enrolling students affect the rankings that significantly? it just seems to me that the assesment and research should be more important than the numbers of the enrolling students...i'm too lazy to do the formula myself. anyone?

2 Words:

SoCal BIAS. Period.

I still luv ya Irvine:D We're all Sons (and daughters) of California!
:)

OptimusPrime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2002
California
Status (Visible)
nih grants means research... research has nothing to do w/ becoming a good doctor. on the other hand you might want to check into why on average we do better on the boards than some other uc's up north...

just my 2 cents

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.