UCI vs. UCD - US News rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

finnpipette

Fallen from Grace
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is not to bash UC Irvine because it's a great school. I just don't understand why Irvine is ranked above davis, albeit only one spot. Davis has higher peer/residency director assessment scores, a lower acceptance rate, and a lot more NIH grants. They have the same faculty/student ratio, but Davis has lower out of state tuition. Does total enrollment and the slightly higher mcat/gpa average of the enrolling students affect the rankings that significantly? it just seems to me that the assesment and research should be more important than the numbers of the enrolling students...i'm too lazy to do the formula myself. anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

US News rankings are stupid.

isnt irvine's gpa and mcat averages higher?

Members don't see this ad :)
yea, irvine's mcat/gpa is slightly higher. i guess in my mind the residency director's opinions and research funding is more important to me than the stats of the incoming class. I'm being trivial...please excuse this dumb thread. :(

it might also have something to do with the UCI's prominence in the arena of transplant surgery (=they get more press). just a guess. the rankings are way to subjective to be all that useful anyways.

Originally posted by jlee9531
isnt irvine's gpa and mcat averages higher?
That's 40% of the rankings right there. That's why UCI is ranked higher.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
One spot above UC Davis.:p
:laugh:

Every time I see a post from you, I picture a red-headed kid running all over the UCI campus. Haha :laugh: Thanks for the specific answer to my question though! :p

Oh don't worry about it if it's like one or two spots below or above...the difference's really insignificant; and one year later, the ranking will be different anyway.

The key things to look at are the trends in Peer Assessment and Residency Director scores...At least those are the most important elements to me. NIH funding is least important to me, unless US News will be willing to show funding to the medical school alone in the future.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Oh don't worry about it if it's like one or two spots below or above...the difference's really insignificant; and one year later, the ranking will be different anyway.

The key things to look at are the trends in Peer Assessment and Residency Director scores...At least those are the most important elements to me. NIH funding is least important to me, unless US News will be willing to show funding to the medical school alone in the future.

When are the new rankings coming out btw? April 1st ?

Originally posted by finnpipette
The purpose of this thread is not to bash UC Irvine because it's a great school. I just don't understand why Irvine is ranked above davis, albeit only one spot. Davis has higher peer/residency director assessment scores, a lower acceptance rate, and a lot more NIH grants. They have the same faculty/student ratio, but Davis has lower out of state tuition. Does total enrollment and the slightly higher mcat/gpa average of the enrolling students affect the rankings that significantly? it just seems to me that the assesment and research should be more important than the numbers of the enrolling students...i'm too lazy to do the formula myself. anyone?

2 Words:

SoCal BIAS. Period.

I still luv ya Irvine:D We're all Sons (and daughters) of California!
:)

And you love the smog?

Please don't start the SoCal vs. NorCal thing. It gets old.:rolleyes:

Good riddens, bro.

I don't think the cow joke was very funny. Peace out.

nih grants means research... research has nothing to do w/ becoming a good doctor. on the other hand you might want to check into why on average we do better on the boards than some other uc's up north...

just my 2 cents