Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

UCincinnati decision timetable?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fcr0206, Feb 20, 2007.

1. fcr0206

fcr0206 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hello,

I just interviewed at the university of cincinnati a week ago and have already been placed on the alternate list. The question is that they said there would be no way that the admissions committee would get to the apps within a week or two, and that they most likely would not be seen for 4 weeks.

Is this somewhat of a good thing that they already viewed my app or do they automatically place you on the alternate list prior to any decision the admissions com makes.

2. clarabelle

clarabelle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, wow that is really strange that they replied so fast? Tell me, did you see an update on the website today (Wednesday?) Because that is the day that they said they would post updates. Also, did you get an email update to check the website?

I doubt they would have placed you on an alternate list without actually reviewing your application. I was also there last week and am awaiting a response.

Best of luck & hang in there! I've heard their alternate list does move!:thumbup:

3. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    when i interviewed in november they said the same thing and I got an accpetance only two weeks after my interview. I would doubt that they would make a decision on you without going to the committee. That being said it is possible that they are only interviewing for the waitlist and placed in on that list and will rank you once the adcom sees your file. This is probably unlikely though. It just depends on the interviewer and how fast they bring up your file to the committee.

4. rhsu84

rhsu84 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed in early december, and they told me it would be at least 4 weeks, probably 6 because of the upcoming holidays... I got an email 8 days after my interview telling me to check my status page!

5. OP
    OP
    fcr0206

fcr0206 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I received an email telling me my status changed on tuesday, so 8 days after my email. I was just kind of shocked since they kept saying there would be no way we would be hearing from them so soon. That is good to hear that the alternate list does move, that makes my third.

6. clarabelle

clarabelle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow wow.. I am so anxious right now! I know this is completely anal retentive, but any chance you guys could share what time of day those status check emails were sent out? I don't handle uncertainty very well... and this has been such a long process hasn't it? It seems like the final few weeks before you hear something are the hardest, especially when it is a school you're VERY interested in hearing back from!

7. OP
    OP
    fcr0206

fcr0206 New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I got an email just before noon. I know how you feel, cincy is definitely my top choice.

8. clarabelle

clarabelle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ::bumpity bump::

Can anyone else share with us their admission decision process with U Cinci? Thanks!

9. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i got my status update in the morning as well. I think around 9 or 10 oclock. I have a friend who just got waitlisted that interviewed exactly a month before she heard. hope that helps......good :luck:

10. Golf Doc

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I too was waitlisted 8 days after my interview at Cincy. I just want to know if everyone who interviews receives the "alternate list" letter if not accepted immediately, or if the comm actually did make a decision to place me on the "list" for further consideration. Has anyone heard of anybody interviewing at Cincy and then receiving a letter of rejection shortly thereafter? Also, does anyone remember when they stop the interview process and if they give out any information as to where a student might stand on the "list"?

11. cokonut8

cokonut8 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump, I have same questions as previous poster

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. cokonut8

cokonut8 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed 2/27 and got waitlisted today, 2 weeks later.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    2/26 interview- on the alt list today.

My understanding of the process was the best we were going to get at the date we were interviewing was an alt list.

Now, I do believe from my experience last year (don't quote me) that they have a good alt list and a bad alt list. You should be able to tell from the wording in the letter they send you. I think there should be something like the phrase "highly desirable" or something if you are on the good alt list. It takes some reading between the lines, but you should be able to tell. (was on the not so good list last year)

Anyway, I think they may have a pref for IS v. OOS students when resorting to the alternate list. I don't know if this is purely statistical (the class must be x% out of state v. X% in state) so the odds favor the in staters or they do bias against out of staters and they will select in staters with priority at this stage, but my interviewer hinted that I would be at a bit of a disadvantage at this point.

Good luck all:luck:

14. horton thruggle

horton thruggle Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I believe you are right that the best late interviewees could get is to be put on the alternate list.

As far as the "letter they send you," I presume you are talking about the letter they send in April (that's what I think they did last year). Or did they send you a letter prior to that with the code phrases?

15. Depakote

Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't have my stuff from last year.

Edit: guess I do, see below

16. Depakote

Attending Physician
    OK, I just hunted through my e-mails and last year's threads.

I got a letter in march that said they were "very interested, etc." that meant nothing... it was just the paper announcement that I had been placed on the alt list.

As mentioned above, in April, they sent out the "We are formulating our alternate list" e-mails.

Those chosen few, got the "we love you" e-mails. (aparently they didn't mince words in those e-mails)

The rest of us got a "ya wanna stay on the false-hope list?" e-mail.

These e-mails went out April 19 last year.

17. horton thruggle

horton thruggle Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks!!