tigress139

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
I got a call this morning that a spot opened for me on the waitlist at UCinn, but I'm also accepted to Loyola. Leaning toward UCinn. Thoughts?

Jun 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I got a call this morning that a spot opened for me on the waitlist at UCinn, but I'm also accepted to Loyola. Leaning toward UCinn. Thoughts?
No info on the programs really, but Cincinnati is definitely one of my favorite cities :). Not as cold as Chicago I think.

Reactions: Crayola227
OP
T

tigress139

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
What makes UCinn so much better, other than smaller class size?

herbb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2007
Status
Medical Student
i heard the cinci medical school building is amazing

medhearter

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
-

Last edited:

medhearter

10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
-

Last edited:

wasvsdal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2006
Status
tigress, can you please provide me with your background i.e. GPA, Mcat scores, anything extra u wanna share? I am also tryna apply to smp's.

Congratulations!

Food

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2007
Unemployment office
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UCinn is probably pretty good. I was interested in Loyola's SMP for a while but decided to dump the whole plan. From what I read, however, it seems that Loyola's program takes it relatively easy compared to other SMPs...they indicate that they do not base their grading on direct competition between medical students. Does UCinn advertise something similar?

OP
T

tigress139

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
My stats:

- 3.43 overall GPA, 3.1 BPCM; 30 MCAT (9 VR, 10 PS, 11 BS)
- About 3 years of clinical research (research assistant on a couple psychology studies, and on an OB-GYN resident's study of the effects of birth control on female libido)
- 1 year volunteering at Planned Parenthood, 2 quarters at UCLA Med Center
(both pretty meaningless, paperwork-filled experiences)
- 2 years as secretary of an on-campus organization
- Medical assistant at a podiatry office and telephone interviewer on an interstitial cystitis study at RAND

Yeah, I was pretty skeptical about Loyola's SMP, since 1) you aren't in classes with other med students, just other SMP students; 2) you get an MA instead of MS for some reason; and 3) there isn't a thesis/doesn't seem to be as much help with the rest of your application.

OP
T

tigress139

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
I don't even know why you're waiting on Georgetown SMP.
IMHO, UC SMP >>> Gtown SMP

-less tuition
-less living expenses
-safer city with better transportation
-less stress, only 3 medical school courses (and really how many do you need?)
-smaller class, and def a lot more individualized attention at UC
-formal doctor shadowing program at UC
-mini-thesis at UC will allow you to upp your research profile a little bit, and its done when your med courses are out of the way and you can spend relaxed amounts of time on it
-gtown says dont depend on getting in at gtown out of 180 applicants, not a high percentage get in, UC says if you do well and do well on the interview, you may very well get in at UC, as out of the small class many do
Medhearter you're right, those are very good incentives for choosing UC. The only thing I like about Georgetown is of course its reputation. I'm just wondering how far that would take me..

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
Nov 5, 2014
Status
Medical Student
U Cincinnati is the much better SMP in terms of results.

tekkenman11

2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2014
Status
Medical Student
U Cincinnati is the much better SMP in terms of results.
According to UCinn's own website they're basically equivalent. So I wouldn't say much better. For same school matriculation UCinn is superior since its extremely small class size is basically a feeder program. For more general admission, especially for those interested in the Midwest, Loyola is the better option.