Ucla 153a, 14cl, 111l

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khadij

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does that sound doable? I know it's a tough load but I'll just be finishing MCAT the summer before so I'll know my O-chem and some of biochem.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I just want to point out that not everyone here goes to UCLA so they won't know what the classes are. For instance, I saw your post and thought you had a stroke while typing the thread title until I googled "UCLA 153a" and saw that it was biochemistry. Most people won't have the patience nor care to go through and google each class. As an example, I'm not googling the other two classes.

That said, the best advice for those classes is to find out what the teachers for those specific classes are like. Biochem for me was a 400 level class in which I essentially memorized a good chunk of the metabolic pathway diagram, so I doubt my experience is relevant to yours.

Find upperclassman and ask them about it. They'll be your best metric for figuring out how tough it'll be. O-chem is difficult depending also on your way of thinking. I didn't have a hard time learning reactions, but struggled ass learning spectroscopy. To this day I can't read an NMR for the life of me. The rest of my class had the opposite problem.

Does that sound doable? I know it's a tough load but I'll just be finishing MCAT the summer before so I'll know my O-chem and some of biochem.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I'm assuming you are planning out your Fall quarter? I can't speak to 111L, but I did take both 153A and 14CL. 153A is a tough course. No other way to put it. Lots of material. Lots of memorization. And as chemistry labs go, 14CL is one of the more frustrating. It's not as bad as 153L but still very time consuming and not very forgiving.

I'd say pick 2 and leave the 3rd for another quarter. If you're trying to cram things in for a double major or minor or whatever, then do what you have to do. But if you can manage it, don't take all 3 at once; you'll be in for a very maddening quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I just want to point out that not everyone here goes to UCLA so they won't know what the classes are. For instance, I saw your post and thought you had a stroke while typing the thread title until I googled "UCLA 153a" and saw that it was biochemistry. Most people won't have the patience nor care to go through and google each class. As an example, I'm not googling the other two classes.

That said, the best advice for those classes is to find out what the teachers for those specific classes are like. Biochem for me was a 400 level class in which I essentially memorized a good chunk of the metabolic pathway diagram, so I doubt my experience is relevant to yours.

Find upperclassman and ask them about it. They'll be your best metric for figuring out how tough it'll be. O-chem is difficult depending also on your way of thinking. I didn't have a hard time learning reactions, but struggled ass learning spectroscopy. To this day I can't read an NMR for the life of me. The rest of my class had the opposite problem.

This exactly. :thumbup::thumbup:

153A is a lot of work and memorizing. CL is too but if you are used to the labs from BL, you'll be fine.
I don't know what 111L is.

thanks a lot!! yea, I am double majoring so I have to stick two science classes together. I think 153A and 14Cl should work and 111L with 153L.

Thanks!!

Whoops, sorry about that! Meant to specify this is for UCLA kids.
But, thanks for your advice! I did ask a few upperclassmen but also wanted to know what other ppl thought.

:laugh:

i don't understand how people can think that 14BL and CL are difficult. they literally have barely any content to them. all you have to do is understand 10 experiments...how hard is that? titrations are easy as hell unless you're an idiot.

153L is a hard class, 14BL and CL are NOT. the concepts in BL and CL are so easy rofl...just basic acids/bases, equilibria, and ochem...

sounds like a terrible quarter tbh. All those classes are notoriously difficult, although 14CL isn't super hard it would just be time consuming with those labs. If you're trying to squeeze them in before the MCAT, you can certainly leave 14CL until after you take it. I would take 153A for sure before, and 111L might help but not necessarily worth suffering just to take before the MCAT.

edit: jk read your post wrong. Since you would already have taken the MCAT I see absolutely no reason to jam pack all those classes. It's probably doable but would be difficult/time-consuming if you want to pull of all As (which of course you do..)

hahahaha