UCLA Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jattmalva

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone out there had any info on the average ucla mcat score for the class accepted for 2004. for ucla, would it be more strategic to apply now with a 35 or wait until september and apply with a higher august score? thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

dont you think 35 is good?

jattmalva said:
i was wondering if anyone out there had any info on the average ucla mcat score for the class accepted for 2004. for ucla, would it be more strategic to apply now with a 35 or wait until september and apply with a higher august score? thanks a lot!

Ok, MCAT score dropper... :rolleyes:

UCLA has by far the most unpredictable Admissions committee. If I'm not mistaken, their class is made up of such varied scores that there really is no MAGIC score that will get you in. They are unique in that essence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not an admissions expert, but if you can't get into a school with a 35, you probably can't get in with a 40 or better.

MrTee said:
I'm not an admissions expert, but if you can't get into a school with a 35, you probably can't get in with a 40 or better.

According to an advertisement by Kaplan if you take their course and have a 45, you may get a 51 if you retake. I bet he could get in with a 51.

Hey guys, I wasn't trying to be cocky, but I've heard PLENTY of stories about people with 38+ getting rejected from UCLA. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any stats. Thanks anyhow though.

jattmalva said:
Hey guys, I wasn't trying to be cocky, but I've heard PLENTY of stories about people with 38+ getting rejected from UCLA. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any stats. Thanks anyhow though.

Then that tells you your answer. And the answer is that it doesn't matter how high your score is to the admissions committee. UCLA doesn't judge you by just your score and knowing the avg score isn't going to tell you anything. I believe aroudn the avg MCAT last year was 32 but that doesn't tell you ANYTHING because people could score a lot lower and get in and people can score a lot higher and not get in. So there is no point in fretting about avg scores.

kweenkong said:
Then that tells you your answer. And the answer is that it doesn't matter how high your score is to the admissions committee. UCLA doesn't judge you by just your score and knowing the avg score isn't going to tell you anything. I believe aroudn the avg MCAT last year was 32 but that doesn't tell you ANYTHING because people could score a lot lower and get in and people can score a lot higher and not get in. So there is no point in fretting about avg scores.

That's right, now that you have a perfect fine 35 locked in, its time to work more on the other portions of your application such as EC's.

Don't retake the mcat. A 35 is a great score. As the above poster said, just work on the other parts of your application and show them a great personal statement. ucla puts a lot of emphasis on a well-rounded overall application.

I would only tell you to consider taking the mcat again if your verbal score was like less than a 7 or something.

retaking doesn't guarantee you a higher score
and if you did get a higher score, what would the adcoms think about a person who made a 35 and retook it to get a few points higher (a difference of a few questions)?

jattmalva said:

What's up JattMalva ;)
You should NOT retake the MCAT!! There are no guarantees during the medical school admissions process. Send your stuff in and pray! You can PM me if you have any questions. :)

-Harps

I have a 38 on the MCAT. Should I retake? I wanted a 1600.

jattmalva said:

Retake it in August. See what you end up getting. What have you got to lose?

Thanks for all the help!

Well, I also got a 35 on my mcats, but I don't think it would've helped me any more if I had a higher score than that. I still haven't heard anything from ucla since the interview all the way back in february, but I think it's more important that you spend that extra time revising your essays and doing something more productive over the summer. My two cents. = )

Alexander99 said:
Retake it in August. See what you end up getting. What have you got to lose?

Best advice in this thread.

alphaholic06 said:
Is UCLA really that unpredictable?
Almost every medical school is that unpredictable.