UCLA Chemistry 14 series not enough credits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leesypop

Reaction score
I took the 14 series (14A, 14B, 14C, 14D) along with their labs at UCLA when I was an undergrad there. This is equivalent to 2 quarters of general and 2 quarters of organic chem. What's confusing is most dental schools require 3 quarters of each. Not really sure why UCLA encourages their pre-dental students to take this series if it means they will be short one quarter when they apply to dental schools.

I reached out to a few dental schools and their answers varied. UCLA dental said the 14 series was enough to satisfy their chem requirements (despite their website saying they want 3 quarters of general chem). Other dental schools have suggested taking 1 quarter of biochem, but I'm assuming this was only because biochem was not listed as a pre-req. They also did not seem terribly confident in their answer, so I'm not sure what to believe.

Are there any UCLA graduates out there that can help clarify this? What other chemistry classes did you take besides the 14 series to fulfill the 3 quarter gen/orgo chem requirement most dental schools have? OR did you apply to dental schools with only the 14 series and everything was fine?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the full 14 series (with both 14BL and 14CL) and I was not told by any school that I applied to that I had not met the Gen Chem or O Chem requirements. I did also take Biochem (Chem 153A), but still, in general I think taking the 14 series with both the lab classes is sufficient.

Reactions: 1 users
I took the 14 series (14A, 14B, 14C, 14D) along with their labs at UCLA when I was an undergrad there. This is equivalent to 2 quarters of general and 2 quarters of organic chem. What's confusing is most dental schools require 3 quarters of each. Not really sure why UCLA encourages their pre-dental students to take this series if it means they will be short one quarter when they apply to dental schools.

I reached out to a few dental schools and their answers varied. UCLA dental said the 14 series was enough to satisfy their chem requirements (despite their website saying they want 3 quarters of general chem). Other dental schools have suggested taking 1 quarter of biochem, but I'm assuming this was only because biochem was not listed as a pre-req. They also did not seem terribly confident in their answer, so I'm not sure what to believe.

Are there any UCLA graduates out there that can help clarify this? What other chemistry classes did you take besides the 14 series to fulfill the 3 quarter gen/orgo chem requirement most dental schools have? OR did you apply to dental schools with only the 14 series and everything was fine?

The UCLA chemistry/biochemistry department constructed the 14 series with the expectation that students would take biochemistry and biochemistry lab in addition to the 14 series. I do want you to be aware that there are certain topics that you are expected to know that are NOT taught in the 14 series.