1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UCLA Chemistry requirements

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Teach, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Teach

Teach Member
    7+ Year Member

I was filling out the UCLA questionaire that you must bring to your interview and the chemistry requirement reads:

Two years of college Chemistry to include the study of inorganic chemistry, quantitative analysis and organic chemistry.

I would assume this means you must have a semester class of quantitative analysis. Does anyone have any information about this requirement? It was not listed as a prereq in the MSAR 2002-2003, but it is on their website. So, I guess I am probably screwed - I took Chem I & II, Organic I & II and Biochem I & II. I teach full time- and quantitative analysis is not the type of class you can take in the evenings, right? Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sluox

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    don't worry. I took my gen chem AP and still got an interview there, even for MSTP. Any regular college gen chem ought to suffice

4. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What questionaire is this? Is this the checklist of classes that is part of the secondary? Or do they actually have a sheet that comes with the interview invitation? I didn't receive anything with my interview invite.

5. Teach

Teach Member
    7+ Year Member

It came with the interview date confirmation letter. The letter includes the date and time of the interview and the questionaire (on blue paper). The questionaire lists all the requirements and asks if you have completed them. If not - you are to describe how and when you will complete the requirements. It also has a space for your current schedule of classes.

6. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Ah, ok, I get it. I only have the initial interview invitation letter so far. I haven't scheduled the interview yet. Hmmm...that questionaire's going to be a little tricky to fill out for me, since I don't fulfill all the requirements unless I count APs, which they don't count. Oh well.

Teach, mind if I ask how far ahead they schedule interviews? It's sorta weird corresponding with them by mail and choosing dates I'm available, rather than selecting from a couple of choices they give me. Thanks for the info.

7. Teach

Teach Member
    7+ Year Member

They gave me about 1 week notice for my interview date. Carrol Cohen emailed me to tell me the date and then I received the information in the mail yesterday. My interview is Wednesday, November 6, 2002. So, be careful when you tell them the days your aren't available - make sure you think about all possible days. The letter says "We do not reschedule appointments". I guess it is good because it only gave me a short amount of time to stress about the interview.

8. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

1 week?? Gosh, I'd better be really careful filling out that form. I don't want UCLA to be my first interview, especially since it doesn't seem so important to interview early given that they don't start accepting people until Jan. 15.

About your quantitative chemistry requirement, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I guess it depends on how you have to fill out the form though. You said you had to list how your would fulfill the requirements if you haven't done so yet, but do you have to list them if you think you're done with them? I imagine that lots of their applicant haven't taken a course like that unless it's for their major or minor.

9. Teach

Teach Member
    7+ Year Member

No, you don't have to list the classes that you have taken to fulfill the requirements. I am going to call the admissions office on Monday - I'll let you know what they say.

10. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That would be great if you let us all know what they say. I was thinking of checking off the requirements, and if they say I didn't fulfill them, I'd appeal based on some classes that are sort of fuzzy in whether they fulfill the requirements.

11. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Off topic, but any out-of-staters getting into UCLA? I read that UCLA doesn't preferentially accept CA residents (unlike UCSF/UCSD). Is this true?

12. mystic_b

mystic_b Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you look at the numbers, it's much much harder to get an interview at UCLA if you're out of state, but if you do get one, your chances of actually getting in are equal to those of in-staters.

13. Teach

Teach Member
    7+ Year Member

I talked to the admissions office today and it looks like as long as you have had 2 years of college chemistry then it is alright. But the person I spoke to on the phone used phrases like "I think so" and "I believe that is okay". I didn't ask about AP credit, but "I believe" that general chem I/II will statisfy the quantitative analysis.