UCLA Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmemi

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there? UCLA, DREW/UCLA or UCR/UCLA. Post here if you have q's and to get to know each other.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all of you who have already gotten in. UCLA is my dream school. :love: I have my interview this Tuesday and hope to be as fortunate as all of you who've been accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck, docinthemaking! I hope it goes well. :D Maybe I'll see you at second look weekend.

UCLAstudent said:
Good luck, docinthemaking! I hope it goes well. :D Maybe I'll see you at second look weekend.

Thanks so much! :D

Right now, I am torn between going to UCLA or Stanford....

Still have to do some soul-searching... :rolleyes: :idea: :eek:

congrats.

hard choice between stanford and ucla.
obviously you should look at the curriculum, student life and hapiness, city and community (including expenses), opportunities (volunteer, research, etc). just whereever you would fit in. you should go to the 2nd look days obviously. ask me q's if you have any.

docmemi, do you live in Weyburn Terrace? I called UCLA and asked about housing there, and the woman on the phone, Carrol, said she was "pretty sure" that all first-year medical students have a place reserved there. Do you know if this is true? I would like to live at either Weyburn or on Tiverton. Thanks for any advice! :)

UCLAstudent said:
docmemi, do you live in Weyburn Terrace? I called UCLA and asked about housing there, and the woman on the phone, Carrol, said she was "pretty sure" that all first-year medical students have a place reserved there. Do you know if this is true? I would like to live at either Weyburn or on Tiverton. Thanks for any advice! :)

Hi UCLAStudent!!!

At my interview, my student tour guides told me that they have reserved housing for first and second year students. All four of them said that they walk to class, have their own restrooms, and pay around $800, I believe.

Thank you, Ambs! That is good news. You rock. :D

yes. all first years have guaranteed weyburn housing. its about 825 per month and that includes utilities. you can live in a 2 room 2 bath, studio or 2 room 2 story house. the class of 2009 will prolly mostly live in the same complex (like the class of 2008...but there are some dental, law students and grad students mixed in). its pretty cool cause they are brand new, very close, relatively cheap and you live with most of the class (we like to party here). tiverton would also be nice...then you can really be close to school.

Thanks, docmemi! :) Do you know if it comes with a parking spot(Weyburn)? I know it's extra money, but is it guaranteed? BTW, I went down to the medical school today to hear a lecture on abortion at lunchtime. I felt like such a teenybopper! ;)

UCLAstudent said:
Thanks, docmemi! :) Do you know if it comes with a parking spot(Weyburn)? I know it's extra money, but is it guaranteed? BTW, I went down to the medical school today to hear a lecture on abortion at lunchtime. I felt like such a teenybopper! ;)

wow, i was at another talk. but thats cool you went.

yes, you get a parking spot in the complex and you can use it to park in the hospital or elsewhere on campus after 430pm or anytime on the weekend. you cannot get day parking on campus if you live in weyburn...you can just get weyburn parking. and yes, im pretty sure its extra money.

UCLAstudent said:
Thank you, Ambs! That is good news. You rock. :D

You're welcome! ;)

docmemi said:
wow, i was at another talk. but thats cool you went.

yes, you get a parking spot in the complex and you can use it to park in the hospital or elsewhere on campus after 430pm or anytime on the weekend. you cannot get day parking on campus if you live in weyburn...you can just get weyburn parking. and yes, im pretty sure its extra money.

Awesome. I am getting so excited about UCLA. :love: Are there often talks during lunchtime, or was it just coincidence that there were two today? And, are you happy at UCLA? Sorry for all of the questions in such a short time period!

there are a bazillion talks every day and many with food. most of us went through almost 3 months getting free lunch everyday. it was awesome.

yes. ucla and the curriculum are awesome. location great. but med school in general means a lot of work. with our curriculum there is more independent reading and learning to do (but that is reinforced in lab and lecture...its not 100% alone) relative to other places. which frankly, i think is working quite well. they give/print us all the notes with transcripts of the lectures...you can almost not go to lecture if you didnt want to. thats awesome. only 2 hours of lecture a day at 10 am, come on thats great.

docmemi said:
congrats.

hard choice between stanford and ucla.
obviously you should look at the curriculum, student life and hapiness, city and community (including expenses), opportunities (volunteer, research, etc). just whereever you would fit in. you should go to the 2nd look days obviously. ask me q's if you have any.

thank you for the advice. i agree, they are both great places. did you go to the UCLA second look? how was it like? any other advice, is greatly welcomed! :luck:

CreativeWriter said:
thank you for the advice. i agree, they are both great places. did you go to the UCLA second look? how was it like? any other advice, is greatly welcomed! :luck:

it was pretty good. they did a sample pbl case with us and fed us. i got to meet a lot of people and they are my friends/classmates now. i got to ask questions, find out about opportunities, etc. i would go for sure. they explain the curriculum. when you go there, be sure to ask questions and look around really well. open your eyes. imagine yourself there and if you are going to be happy. ask about the number of hours of class, how hands on clinical years are, etc.

good luck.

Hi docmemi, one more question: do you have any idea when UCLA sends out financial aid stuff?