UCLA Class of 2010!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBorisCA

aka. Flaming Cheeto
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all I wanted to start a thread fror those accepted to and planning to matriculate at UCLA. Where is everyone from? Can't wait to start!!!!

1. Kathy aka. DrBorisCA - From L.A., Undergrad UCLA

Members don't see this ad.

DrBorisCA said:
Hi all I wanted to start a thread fror those accepted to and planning to matriculate at UCLA. Where is everyone from? Can't wait to start!!!!

2. Rosemary aka. rosiemary - Pico Rivera, CA. Undergrad Stanford University

rosiemary said:
DrBorisCA said:

3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!

Members don't see this ad :)
3. Andrew aka. MrAndrew47 - France/Kobe, Japan/Orange County, CA - Undergrad @ UCI!
4. Mike aka Elastase - Bay Area, Undergrad: UCBerkeley*

*I'll join you guys/girls! This is the school that I am very excited about (as much as my first med school acceptance), UCLA is as ideal as it can get. I hope I get a great/good financial aid package (and I'm not tempted by other schools)! Any of you considering other schools instate or out of state?

Everyones going to second look weekend right?

I've said this before: Good luck for you all that are still waiting to hear back from Geffen and Drew!!! I'm looking forward to seeing the next round of acceptances!

Elastase said:
5. G3 aka. Gee!Golly!Gosh! - From around town

I recognize y'all from the other UCLA thread...congrats to yall...I am so happy and excited for you guys...hope to bump into you guys in school :) [i am the cute guy]
:)

Something is wrong with the forums and posts are disappearing. Helllllooooo... Echo..... Echo.......

Yeah SDN is very sick right now. For the UCLA Acceptance Thread for example you can find the "hidden" posts (there are about 20ish) by going to the last page, then hitting reply. When you get to the reply page you scroll down below the prompt and look at the posting history...thats the UCLA underground Acceptance Thread!

Dr. Boris, have you been accepted to any other Cali schools or outof states that you were considering before UCLA?

anyone know when orientation is? what's the first date we have to physically be in LA?

Just got some info about financial aid:
1. FAFSA, you can definitely turn this in now.
2. Need Access Application, looks like you can turn this in now
3. Institutional Application, I asked about this and it looks like they will be notifying us mid-next month (!!!) when it will be available.
4. Tax Certification, no clue about this.

Anyone else have any more information? Better yet, any know how good the aid is (as far as grants/scholarships)???

Members don't see this ad :)
6.infiniti- from around town, but currently in chicago. Not 100%, but UCLA is looking very good.

Just bumpin' this thread up for the new kids! Congrats!

6. infiniti- from around town, but currently in chicago. Not 100%, but UCLA is looking very good.
7. John (Bluntman) - From OC, undergrad at UC San Diego

Bluntman said:
6. infiniti- from around town, but currently in chicago. Not 100%, but UCLA is looking very good.

Go John!!!! Welcomeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

DrBorisCA said:
Go John!!!! Welcomeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Hey guys! Dude I'm so shocked...I had given up all hope on MSTP (and especially such a top program like LA) and then I get this email out of nowhere. It even sounded like a rejection letter when i started reading it. (i.e. didn't start out with CONGRATULATIONS!!! like most do) I made the mistake of turning down UCLA for undergrad...my friends still give me **** for it...but I'm definitely NOT making that same mistake again! Can't wait to actually meet all of you at the revisit weekend! :)

Bluntman said:
Hey guys! Dude I'm so shocked...I had given up all hope on MSTP (and especially such a top program like LA) and then I get this email out of nowhere. It even sounded like a rejection letter when i started reading it. (i.e. didn't start out with CONGATULATIONS!!! like most do) I made the mistake of turning down UCLA for undergrad...my friends still give me **** for it...but I'm definitely NOT making that same mistake again! Can't wait to actually meet all of you at the revisit weekend! :)

I'm so excited for you... It's like I got my own acceptance all over again!!!

FenderB2004 said:
But does anyone know the exact date for this year? Trying to make my summer plans! :thumbup:
Here is the link to the MSTP calendar for 2006. It has the dates for normal MD stuff like orientation, white coat ceremony, and fall quarter too.

Bluntman said:
Here is the link to the MSTP calendar for 2006. It has the dates for normal MD stuff like orientation, white coat ceremony, and fall quarter too.

Nice, thanks for that info! I hope they start sending us more info soon....

Wait a moment I just thought of something guys:

My MSTP 2nd visit is on April 21, but when is the medical school 2nd visit? I hope they let me come to both cause I really want to see everybody!

Bluntman said:
Wait a moment I just thought of something guys:

My MSTP 2nd visit is on April 21, but when is the medical school 2nd visit? I hope they let me come to both cause I really want to see everybody!

I got this off of the UCLA accepted part of the website:

David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Recruitment Day
Class of 2010
May 6, 2006

The website is not really updated for this year yet...Has anyone done their financial aid yet? or at least part of it (besides sending in your FAFSA)?

Do any of you guys know much about the housing options around UCLA? I cruised around the housing pages on the admitted students section of the webpage, but it'd be bomb to get some first-hand info on which places are the best/nicest/most convenient/best deals/etc. On first glance I'm attracted to the Weyburn Terrace place that opened last year since it is new, has parking, is close to campus, and is grad/med/law student housing so it'd give me a good chance to meet some homies. Oh yea and anybody know how soon we can/should start applying for housing? Any other thoughts?

And thanks for the Recruitment Day date Mike!

Bluntman said:
Do any of you guys know much about the housing options around UCLA? I cruised around the housing pages on the admitted students section of the webpage, but it'd be bomb to get some first-hand info on which places are the best/nicest/most convenient/best deals/etc. On first glance I'm attracted to the Weyburn Terrace place that opened last year since it is new, has parking, is close to campus, and is grad/med/law student housing so it'd give me a good chance to meet some homies. Oh yea and anybody know how soon we can/should start applying for housing? Any other thoughts?

And thanks for the Recruitment Day date Mike!

I am on the end of my seat waiting for the acceptance packet with housing, financial aid paperwork etc. I actually went into the Weyburn Terrace rental office yesterday afternoon. Everything is gorgeous there and brand new. The rule is that they only will let you stay there two years then have to move elsewhere. There are no vacancies now, so when I asked for a tour there was really no unit to look at. Pricing is online and that includes unfurnished unit, includes utilities, only the underground parking is extra. There is a big move out in May so tours will probably be more avail. then. The woman who works there said that the med school allocates a lot of units but she didn't know when and how that will happen. But the area of buildings, I think there are about 7 buildings in W.T., is gorgeous. There are studios, two bedroom and two story townhouses available (townhouses for family housing I think)...

If anyone knows any more please share!

K ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Greta aka Freewater- undergrad UC San Diego, currently living in Seattle

Freewater said:
Hey congrats Greta! Way to represent good ol UCSD. What year did you graduate? I was '05.

Bluntman said:
Hey congrats Greta! Way to represent good ol UCSD. What year did you graduate? I was '05.
I did the combined B.S./M.S. bio degree so finished my B.S. in 2003 and M.S. in 2004. I'm sure we were in some of the same classes, though, because I didn't even start science courses till my junior year.

DrBorisCA said:
But the area of buildings, I think there are about 7 buildings in W.T., is gorgeous.

One concern that I thought of about Weyburn Terrace: How creepy is it being right next to the national cemetary? Like is the W.T. complex constructed so that you don't even notice it? Or are we gonna be waking up to the sound of Taps and shovels hitting dirt on Saturday mornings? :rolleyes:

edit: added the link to the pic

Awww yeahhh!!

I just got my STUDENT GATHERING and RECRUITMENT: Class of 2010 preliminary program (for May 6th) in the mail today!!! I didn't think we would hear anything from UCLA in a while...I'm glad that they are keeping touch.

Looks like a great/informative/fun day! Everyones down to go right?

:thumbup:

I am glad to be a part of you, fellow Bruins. Just got my acceptance in the mail today. Hope I"ll see you all in May. So excited!!!!!

Elastase said:
Awww yeahhh!!

I just got my STUDENT GATHERING and RECRUITMENT: Class of 2010 preliminary program (for May 6th) in the mail today!!! I didn't think we would hear anything from UCLA in a while...I'm glad that they are keeping touch.

Looks like a great/informative/fun day! Everyones down to go right?

:thumbup:

Yay... Im planning to go to everything! Woo hoo!

I'm on spring break so I can't get my mail. So can someone give me the details of the second look. And is it just for that 1 day?

Also, does anyone know if we can start filling out the fin aid now with institutional application and tax certification that's on their website? When I try logging in, it gives me a message that says my info doesn't match their record info. Is anyone else getting this message??

Are we supposed to dress up for May 6? Thanks!

9. doc_doc_goose! - L.A. Undergrad in Boston

Hmm...another question on housing:

I wonder how early we can move into Weyburn Terrace (if we are lucky enough to get a spot)? Like do all the leases start in June and end in May or something like that? I'm curious cause I'm gonna need to move up to LA to do a lab rotation for all of July, and I'm sure some of you would like to move in before August as well...wonder if this is possible.

Bluntman said:
Hmm...another question on housing:

I wonder how early we can move into Weyburn Terrace (if we are lucky enough to get a spot)? Like do all the leases start in June and end in May or something like that? I'm curious cause I'm gonna need to move up to LA to do a lab rotation for all of July, and I'm sure some of you would like to move in before August as well...wonder if this is possible.

Bluntman: Check out the thread on last years class of 2009 (I don't have the link, but the link is somewhere on the UCLA acceptance thread). There is a lot of talk about moving to Weyburn Terrance...from what I remember, it took a lot of time...

Elastase said:
Bluntman: Check out the thread on last years class of 2009 (I don't have the link, but the link is somewhere on the UCLA acceptance thread). There is a lot of talk about moving to Weyburn Terrance...from what I remember, it took a lot of time...
Oh snaps, thanks for the heads up. That's a bomb-ass thread indeed...suggest you guys all give it a read!

**UCLA SOM c/o 2009 Thread**

Does anyone else think that Weyburn Terrace is way overpriced for the size, or is it just me? Is anyone else planning to NOT live there? It IS cheaper compared to Westwood, but I think if you go 1-2 miles further out, I think the rent does get a lot better ($200-300 less). You would probably need a car and would have to buy parking, but I think it's worth it considering that hte rooms in Weyburn Terrace are really small. I think the square footage is like 750 for a 2bedroom- I would def. want a bigger place! Ahhh, but the luxury of being close to campus....

FenderB2004 said:
Does anyone else think that Weyburn Terrace is way overpriced for the size, or is it just me? Is anyone else planning to NOT live there? It IS cheaper compared to Westwood, but I think if you go 1-2 miles further out, I think the rent does get a lot better ($200-300 less). You would probably need a car and would have to buy parking, but I think it's worth it considering that hte rooms in Weyburn Terrace are really small. I think the square footage is like 750 for a 2bedroom- I would def. want a bigger place! Ahhh, but the luxury of being close to campus....
Yea it certainly does seem small, and this is one of the major things that I want to check out on my second look weekend. One of the biggest things that makes me want to live there, despite the small size, however, is the fact that there will be a lot MS1s (and MS2s, etc.) living in the same place. I think back to freshman year of undergrad and how rough it was for people that lived off campus to make a good group of friends. Living in WT will make you a part of a community of your peers...so you have direct access to a big group of similar people for friendships/studying/partying/relaxing/grabbing grub/etc. In my opinion, this makes it totally worth it. :thumbup:

Bluntman said:
Yea it certainly does seem small, and this is one of the major things that I want to check out on my second look weekend. One of the biggest things that makes me want to live there, despite the small size, however, is the fact that there will be a lot MS1s (and MS2s, etc.) living in the same place. I think back to freshman year of undergrad and how rough it was for people that lived off campus to make a good group of friends. Living in WT will make you a part of a community of your peers...so you have direct access to a big group of similar people for friendships/studying/partying/relaxing/grabbing grub/etc. In my opinion, this makes it totally worth it. :thumbup:

I agree! Also, I think that the rent is totally worth it considering that Weyburn is walking distance from the med school, brand-new, and all utilities are included (even high-speed internet). I would love to live there but I wonder how hard it would be.....

Bluntman said:

Yeah I hear ya! I totally considered Weyburn Terrace just on that fact alone, but the rent is just too high and I would want a bigger place (and if you want parking, you have to pay extra, so it'd be like $1000 for me). On the other hand, I do think since the class size is so small (150 people compared to 150 billion people in ugrad), we'll still get to know each other through class and other activities alot easier than in udergrad.

rosiemary said:
I agree! Also, I think that the rent is totally worth it considering that Weyburn is walking distance from the med school, brand-new, and all utilities are included (even high-speed internet). I would love to live there but I wonder how hard it would be.....

Isn't it guaranteed for first year students or something like that? correct me if i'm wrong

rosiemary said:

Darn, looks like I'm in the minority!

FenderB2004 said:
Isn't it guaranteed for first year students or something like that? correct me if i'm wrong

I'm not sure if it's guaranteed. All I know is that some rooms are set-aside for med students. I'm not sure how they are assigned for students from there. Does anyone know??

rosiemary said:
I'm not sure if it's guaranteed. All I know is that some rooms are set-aside for med students. I'm not sure how they are assigned for students from there. Does anyone know??
This is what it says off the housing website:

"New single graduate students are eligible to live in Weyburn Terrace for the 2006/07 academic year. Approximately 50% of the spaces will be allocated to new graduate and professional students as determined by the College of Letters & Science and the professional schools. These students will be guaranteed two years of housing and will receive a housing contract for 2006/07 with the option to renew consistent with their term of eligibility. The remaining spaces will be available for a term of up to one year to all new and current single graduate and professional students through a general lottery process. General lottery participants who do not receive housing prior to Fall 2006 will constitute the wait list for single graduate student housing for any spaces that become available during the year."

This makes it sound like some people will be offered a 2 year guaranteed contract up-front, and the rest will have to go into a lottery. Thus, I would say WT housing is not guaranteed for all incoming med students. Also, not sure if UCLA works this way or not, but some schools use guaranteed housing offers as recruitment tools. So UCLA may offer the "guaranteed 2 year contract" spots to people that it especially wants to recruit. This is all just speculation of course.

Note: I take "50% of the spaces" to mean "50% of the available spaces. i.e. some number less than the max occupancy of ~1400

Anyone get their hands on the 2006 match list yet? Please share :)

FenderB2004 said:

It's guaranteed for the first two years. After that, you can apply for a lottery (I think). The apartments are small, but they're brand new and are very close to campus. Utilities, DSL, cable, and trash are all included. So, it's not that bad of a deal. (I did undergrad at UCLA and it's definitely better than what I was paying to live in an apartment near campus.) Plus, it's fun living so close to other meddies. That being said, a good number of people live elsewhere, and it's not like they're deprived socially for not living in Weyburn. :)

Hey guys! Just checking in to say hello.

Also, how does one figure out housing? Where is the application for WT? I like the proximity to campus and would love to have you guys for neighbors. :)

For any of the students who are attending UCLA already, do you know how much movement is expected off of the unranked waitlist and around what time?

Basically I got into SD and I'm waiting on LA where I want to go. I'm trying to room with my friends if I get into LA, but I don't know what to tell them since I'm in limbo. Should I just give up hope? What are my odds?