UCLA/Drew vs. Loyola U Chicago: Where should I go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarlettMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My main concern about ucla/drew is the accreditation problems at the King hospital and how that may effect the quality of the clinical training and my residency opportunities. Do you think these are valid or unfounded concerns? Also, since I’m from cali, ucla/drew tuition would be cheaper.

Loyola has a solid program, but it costs more $money$ and is further from home. I wouldn’t mind living in Chicago, but I’d like to stay in CA.

I’d appreciate any guidance you can give. Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is a valid concern. If MLK loses its JHACO accred, it won't technically qualify as an ACGME-approved teaching hospital which would be bad news for Drew students. I don't think it's likely to be a long term problem, but if you have a choice I would stay away from Drew.

scarlettMD said:
My main concern about ucla/drew is the accreditation problems at the King hospital and how that may effect the quality of the clinical training and my residency opportunities. Do you think these are valid or unfounded concerns? Also, since I’m from cali, ucla/drew tuition would be cheaper.

Loyola has a solid program, but it costs more $money$ and is further from home. I wouldn’t mind living in Chicago, but I’d like to stay in CA.

I’d appreciate any guidance you can give. Thanks in advance for your help!

I'll give my nodd for Loyola, MLK is getting too much bad press right now you don't want them to take you down with them.

I'm a California native too now two years into my education here in Syracuse NY and I think its been a great experience getting out for awhile. You also never know, you may enjoy living in Chicago so much you could very possibly spend you residency there.

I think the idea that California out of state med students just want to come home when they're done is a large misconception, I know I'm in no hurry to go back to the OC.

Thanks all for responding and sharing your opinions.

Any UCLA/Drew students care to offer their advice or experiences?

- What is UCLA or Drew telling you to expect the 3rd and 4th years?

- Are you happy with your clinical training?

- For 4th years or recent grads, how did your residency matching turn out?

Thanks for any help you can offer!