scarlettMD

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
My main concern about ucla/drew is the accreditation problems at the King hospital and how that may effect the quality of the clinical training and my residency opportunities. Also, since I’m from cali, ucla/drew tuition would be cheaper.

Loyola has a solid program, but it costs more $money$ and is further from home. I wouldn’t mind living in Chicago, but I’d like to stay in CA.

I’d appreciate any guidance you can give. Thanks in advance for your help!

coronia

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
When did you hear back from UCLA/Drew?? I interviewed back in December and haven't heard a thing.

OP
S

scarlettMD

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
coronia said:
When did you hear back from UCLA/Drew?? I interviewed back in December and haven't heard a thing.
I also interviewed in december, but haven't heard back from them either. I don't think they've sent out any acceptances yet- not sure though so please chime in if anyone else has info.

I have been accepted at loyola, but if I also get in at ucla/drew, it would be a dilemma.

Please help if you guys can. Thanks!

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Encinitas, CA
Status
Here's a link to my interview feedback on Drew/UCLA.
http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/show_entry.asp?ID=10340

If you can say right now, for certain, that you want to pursue primary care and would prefer to stay in Cali for school, don't look any further than Drew. Great 1st and 2nd years at UCLA and you get great exposure to some interesting cases at King/Drew hospital.

If you are still uncertain of what sort of practice you'd like to pursue and would like every advantage to a competitive specialty, good lord do not give up the opportunity to go to Loyola. The reason for that is two-fold. First of all, Loyola is a great school with a great rep and amazing clinical exposure. With decent scores on your boards your likely to get kick-a$$ recommendations for any recidency of your choosing. However, the training administered at Drew has a very VERY poor reputation. Meaning, your LORs won't be very strong. This is okay if you want to remain in the area and practice primary care but is an enormous liability if you become interested in pursuing dermatology at Mass General (for example).

One more thing to remember: Drew/UCLA is not the only hospital with exposure to underserved communities. In fact, most universities in general are located in the ghetto (cheaper land) and surely offer opportunities to help the disadvantaged. I'm pretty sure Loyola qualifies as one of these.

acl3623

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2004
city of angels
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thats a toughie. i'd have to agree with cammy on a lot of what she has said. but the money issue is also important.

i interviewed back in dec. too and havent heard a thing. i called yesterday to find out and wanda hall has been on leave for a while (and they dont really know when shell be back). i emailed dr.aguilera but no answer yet. if anyone gets any new info, post!

opinionkitten

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
i cant imagine why people would consider drew still after the last 6 months. was the full week of latimes stories about what bad shape the hospital is in not enough to worry you about your clinical training in two years? what about the recent losses of accreditation? either of these things alone would make me say loyola X 3 here. students dont fare well when medschools run into trouble and drew seems to me to be in big trouble.

OP
S

scarlettMD

10+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Status
Thanks all for responding and sharing your opinions.

Any UCLA/Drew students care to offer their advice or experiences?

- What is UCLA or Drew telling you to expect the 3rd and 4th years?

- Are you happy with your clinical training?

- For 4th years or recent grads, how did your residency matching turn out?

Thanks for any help you can offer!