ucla/drew: worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what are the chances of getting into ucla/drew program for a non-URM male w/ "average" stats around usc med school stats. what kinda applicants does ucla/drew they accept? i've heard that ucla/drew mainly targets URM students. I'm not sure if I should even try to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

read over their program, read about their mission and what they try to do to improve the underserved community. If you are willing to do that with your medical career, then go for it! if not, don't even apply....by the way, at my interview, there were quite a few non-urm people there...so it's up to you now,

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Don:

I don't have access to the records for ucla/drew, but do you know how many apply and how many are interviewed/accepted/enroll?

hey,

something like 600 apply, they interview something like 200 and accept about 50 for 24-25 spots.

i am a white male and i have had an interview and i am suppose to call tomorrow to find out what is going on. i'll post if accepted or waitlisted.

the big thing is a commitment to underserved populations. i lived in ecuador for during an exchange program and i genuinely desire to work in an underserved inner-city hospital, so i imagine that has helped me. i also have a 3.51 and 32 mcat, so my numbers are okay.

this program is really great, if you want to work in the inner city or with underserved, i don't think there is a better combo out there.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jdub:
•hey,

something like 600 apply, they interview something like 200 and accept about 50 for 24-25 spots.

i am a white male and i have had an interview and i am suppose to call tomorrow to find out what is going on. i'll post if accepted or waitlisted.

the big thing is a commitment to underserved populations. i lived in ecuador for during an exchange program and i genuinely desire to work in an underserved inner-city hospital, so i imagine that has helped me. i also have a 3.51 and 32 mcat, so my numbers are okay.

this program is really great, if you want to work in the inner city or with underserved, i don't think there is a better combo out there.•••••GOOD LUCK JDUB! are we suppose to call to find out their decision? I thought we were suppose to wait for something in the mail...anyways, I still have a long wait to go... :)

they said that they won't give status over the phone, but i have been waiting 8 weeks now, so i am not to positive on what i am going to hear. from my experience punctuality correlates positively with acceptances. anyhow, the lady said i could call tuesday if i wanted to know. i'll probably get something in the mail this week.

i am hoping spring break slowed things down a bit . . .

best of luck.

jdub:

do you know a website that talks more about the program? i went to cdrewu's website but the info is pretty sparse (a few paragraphs of comment here/there). i.e. any website w/ comments from a former/current student? i'd like to learn more about it...

also, if you apply to ucla/drew, could you also concurrently apply to ucla alone? or is it either or?