UCLA/Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carina

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was accepted to the UCLA/Drew program. I think it sounds like a great program except I just want to hear what people think about it, including Geffen UCLA students who know about it from an outsider's viewpoint. I know Drew has had money problems but as long as I can have the necessary rotations during 3/4 year and get into a great residency I don't mind. I just want to make sure being a part of Drew would not hurt my chances for getting the kind of residencies that regular UCLA students get. Because Drew is about working with the underserved, which I am thrilled with, I do not want it to limit my options for what kind of doc I end up being. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi carina
Congratulation. When did you interviewed there and how long did it take to get a response. There is another thread here for Drew.

First off, congrats Carina!

I haven't heard of money problems at all...I thought they were fine with that. I think its more on accreditation with their residencies that they are having difficulties with (but definitely working on), and the usual difficulties with running a county hospital that serves mostly underserved populations. You will be fine as far as doing your rotations, for example your surgery rotation would be at UCLA-Harbor (county) instead of at King/Drew. You diploma is from both UCLA Geffen and Drew, and I know for a fact that Drew/Geffen students are indistinguishable (when I interviewed at both). I do not think it would hurt what kind of doctor that you end up being, as you would be compared with Geffen students during your first two years, and graded at Harbor just like the Geffen students would be. I think they could gauge you well compared to Geffen (much larger pool then 24).

I found this PDF on the Drew site for Match 2004 (page 5):

http://www.cdrewu.edu/com2002/dean/academic/Spring_2004.pdf

Looks good to me! Matches mostly in California, of course mostly in Primary Care (which is what one would expect), but still matches in Opthalmology, radiology-diagnositc, and ER.

Where else are you considering Carina (if you are)?

Elastase

Members don't see this ad :)
Carina, I have tried many times to get in contact w/Drew students through SDN, but I have never been fortunate enough...

Any UCLA/Drew students out there??

How can I help you?

Oh yeah! There you go Carina, the guy above is at Drew.

LongDong: I think her questions are in the first post of the thread.

Hey there Long Dong, I just want to know what kind of residencies are the most common that Drew students go into. I used to be sure of primary care but now I might want something more like surgery and since Drew's fourth year seems so focused on primary care research, is it still likely you can go into a more specialized residency?
Also, what else do you want to describe about the program, and UCLA in general?
Okay thanks!