UCLA...Drew???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the deal with UCLA and UCLA/Drew. I am an out of state applicant and am not sure which one to apply to or are they the same? Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA/Drew is a program where you do your 1st two years at UCLA and then your clinical rotations at King/Drew Medical Center in the Watts/South Central area of LA. They take about 24 people and the focus of the program is working with the medically underserved. So if that is something you are interested in it might be worth an application though I have no idea how many out of state people they take. If you are not interested in working in an underserved area just apply to the UCLA MD program and they take some, but not a huge #, of out of state people. Both programs give you an MD from UCLA. It;s just a difference of where you do your rotations and if you have an interest in working with the underserved. Hope that helps :)

From what I know, the diploma says Charles Drew, not UCLA, if you graduate with an MD from the Drew program.

Members don't see this ad :)
No it doesn't.

It says UCLA. I'm 100% positive.

They told us so.

I think you can trust the people who've actually talked to the admissions people about this...

Actually peeps you're both wrong. The MD degree is from UCLA and Drew. On one corner of your diploma there will be the UCLA logo/stamp and on the other the Drew logo/stamp. This is directly from Dr. Miller, so I know it must be right. Best of luck to everyone that is waiting to hear some news.

we were told the diploma will be from UCLA but it would also say the DREW program

Dr. Dodger, I'm right.

Your DEGREE is from UCLA School of Medicine. Even if it has the Drew logo in one of the corners, it still says that you graduated from UCLA.

Guys guys, calm down about this. Who cares what your diploma actually says? When writing your CV you will put UCLA/Drew. I've seen people's CVs with this. It would be foolish not to indicate this because if you are at an interview and someone asks about your clinical experience at UCLA med Center and you say you never had any... you will look foolish.

You could always do some forth year rotations at the UCLA med center, you just have to do your core rotations at drew. What ever specialty I pick you can bet I'm going to do a rotation of it at the UCLA med center and at drew. And from what I understand Drew Univ is not an accredited LCME school, and so doesn't give you the MD, it is a UCLA degree that states you're in the drew program. Much like all the letters we get from UCLA, they come from the David Geffen school of medicine, but there is a little notation in the corner saying drew program. We pay our tutition threw UCLA, file our FA forms threw UCLA, have access to all UCLA support staff (councelors/advisors), and our id badge well be from ucla. Pretty much everything is the same as the UCLA main program except that we have to do our core clincical rotations at drew. We have the added benefit of having drew advisors and councelors too. Any current drew students out there want to correct me if I'm wrong. As for the OP, yes this program is commited to serving underserved communities, so if this is what your interested in then by all means apply. It helps alot if you have shown some type of history of working with underserved/disadvantaged commuunities.

Deuce 007 and UCSBPre-med1,

Since you two are already accepted, do you have any info on how many people have already been accepted or what the last day to be accepted is and things like that? I am 12 weeks and one day post-interview and still have not heard anything. Ahhhhh!

No, sorry, I don't know how many they've already accepted...

But I know (from the Drew thread) that the class is not full as of yet, so there are still spots availiable.

Good luck!

Originally posted by Fizz
Deuce 007 and UCSBPre-med1,

Since you two are already accepted, do you have any info on how many people have already been accepted or what the last day to be accepted is and things like that? I am 12 weeks and one day post-interview and still have not heard anything. Ahhhhh!
I don't know how many people have been accepted but I do know we have a white coat ceremony on July 12. And then Prime july 13-19 at drew, prologue at ucla july 20-26, foundations at ucla Aug 4-8 and formal instruction begins on Aug 11 at UCLA. Just to give you an idea of the time line.

Deuce 007 MD - Thanks so much for the timeline!!!! I can't wait to at least hear something either way!