UCLA Extension VS Santa Monica CC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoctor19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am considering post bacc programs in California. Which do you recommend? Are there better options in the state for postbacc pre-meds?

Members don't see this ad.

hello,

i don't think it's a good idea to take classes at santa monica college. these classes (junior college courses that is) aren't seen as being as competitive as courses taken at universities.

i would recommend going to UCLA extension.BUT, take a combination of both UCLA extension classes and UCLA undergraduate classes (you would take these classes concurrently). Other than that, you can consider the post-bac programs offered by the UC's (you have to be disadvantaged for those), but it may be too late to apply for this coming year.

I would take the courses at UCLA Extension over a CC. I did a UC post bac program and am reapplying this year. I have taken some extension courses and even CC courses that offered science courses that were not offered at the university level such as "Fundamentals of DNA Science course," which some med school advisors said was fine and actually encouraged me to do so. If you have any questions about a particular CC course, contact the med schools and ask.....some courses are actually ok but try to get some upper division courses at the university level if you can. Good luck!!!! :rolleyes: :clap: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by FutureDoctor19
Hi I am considering post bacc programs in California. Which do you recommend? Are there better options in the state for postbacc pre-meds?
UCLA Extension is a pretty good program. I've heard alot of positive things about it, so you should really look into it. On the other hand, if you feel you want to go to a community college then go for it. I personally believe that it really doesn't matter as much so long as you do really well. Too many people are caught up with having to look perfect to admissions committees that they often forget that there are other premedical routes to take when making the effort to get into med school. Whatever you feel comfortable with...good luck.

Actually.......it really does not matter where you complete your pre-med reqs.

Santa Monica College has a great reputation for their science courses. The classes at Santa Monica College will actually be more difficult than UCLA Extension.

Neither UCLA extension nor SMC are formal post-bac programs though. So it really doesn't matter where you go between those two. With that in mind, I would probably opt for UCLA extension because it will be MUCH easier to get straight A's. And it is your grades that will be the most important thing.

As far as you wanting to do a post-bac program......I would think that a formal post-bac program with a good reputation will help maximize your chances for matriculating to med school.

In this area there are several to choose from. They also vary according to your personal needs. If you were not a science major, USC has an excellent program. Also, the UC's programs are different at each campus. You DO NOT need to be disadvantaged for UCI's program. And probably one of the best post-bac programs in the country is here in SoCal at Scripps College in Claremont. That program is extremely rigorous though, but it has an automatic acceptance to at least one med school. I think that school is Temple.

I think you should weigh all your options, look at how much you want to spend, and how much time you have to put into a program. If you need to work, don't apply to Scripps! I think that they tell their students that they do not expect them to work while in their program.

For easy A's at a low cost, then UCLA Extension is the way to go. But don't shy away from SMC because it's a JC. I know MANY people who did their pre-med reqs at SMC and are now in med school or have completed med school.

Good Luck!

Originally posted by SM-UCLA tech
Actually.......it really does not matter where you complete your pre-med reqs.

Yes, it probably DOES matter where you go...at the same time, people shouldn't lose sight that they can still very well get in to medschool even while attending a CC for their prereqs if that's what they *want* to do. I took my pre-reqs at a CC, and for anyone to say that my chances of getting into medschool is alot lower than average is pretty much...not true. ;)

if it did matter where you complete your pre-reqs....then why wouldn't your chances be lower for doing them at a JC?

therefore your logic would suggest that it does not matter, since a JC would probably be the "least respected" route.

now if you go to a recognized and respected FORMAL post-bac program, then you might be much better off.

but in the end.......you need to get good grades and retain the information so it can translate into a good MCAT score.

I was a very non-traditional student who took classes at SMC....my undergrad university, a formal post-bac program, and then ( like an idiot ) decided to take even more science classes at UCLA through extension. And there was not one interview that asked about where I took classes.

But as we all know, there is no way we can know which med school prefers which route. I think the OP should choose whichever method is going to fit in their schedule and pocket book.

But if I get involved with the admissions committee at my med school I'll be sure to ask them what their stance is on this issue! :clap:

by the way Enni......I agree with you that your chances are just as good as anyone elses taking your pre-reqs at a JC!:D

I went to city college and then transfered to a Univ. and so did a friend of mine who is a MS3 at UCLA's main program. And I know he took all of his pre-reqs at that city college and it wasn't an issue for him. So save your money and go where it is cheapest, just do well, and you'll be fine.

Originally posted by SM-UCLA tech
if it did matter where you complete your pre-reqs....then why wouldn't your chances be lower for doing them at a JC?

therefore your logic would suggest that it does not matter, since a JC would probably be the "least respected" route.

now if you go to a recognized and respected FORMAL post-bac program, then you might be much better off.

but in the end.......you need to get good grades and retain the information so it can translate into a good MCAT score.

I was a very non-traditional student who took classes at SMC....my undergrad university, a formal post-bac program, and then ( like an idiot ) decided to take even more science classes at UCLA through extension. And there was not one interview that asked about where I took classes.

But as we all know, there is no way we can know which med school prefers which route. I think the OP should choose whichever method is going to fit in their schedule and pocket book.

But if I get involved with the admissions committee at my med school I'll be sure to ask them what their stance is on this issue! :clap:

by the way Enni......I agree with you that your chances are just as good as anyone elses taking your pre-reqs at a JC!:D
I'm not arguing against the fact that an individual will probably be looked upon in a brighter light if he/she attended harvard than one who attended a local CC. While there are cases where people would just RATHER attend a community college for the sake of convenience, that is not nearly always the case. CC's are MUCH cheaper and many who decide to go that route choose to do so b/c they cannot afford otherwise. Also, there are some of us who didn't exactly start off on the right foot and needed to first attend a CC in order to transfer to a 4 year university. Given that there are a ton of different reasons why thousands of applicants really need to go to a JC, I don't believe that Admissions Committees choose to discriminate against it being fully aware that each individual had their personal reasons of attending them (although, it probably is recognized that the applicant completed their pre-reqs at a Junior College rather than a University). Now, I don't know the OP's true reasons of wanting to attend a CC, but they're probably reasons significant enough for him to consider the option. If he IS considering, I'm saying that his chances are still good depending on how well he does.

whatever you choose to do, do you best and try to get good grades and have fun too....adcoms look at your whole application so take that into mind.....i.e. mcat's, ec's and personal statement, etc......good luck! :clap: