UCLA finaid award

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Milhouse Van Houten, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Milhouse Van Houten

Milhouse Van Houten Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

did anyone else get their fincancial aid package to ucla yet? i just checked it out on ursa.ucla.edu, and boy did i get spanked. i don't get it, the total cost is almost 35K, and they only gave me a way (loans plus scholarships) to pay for 24K. where do i get the other 11K (and don't say family because that's not happening). why does everyone get so excited about uc tuition when it's only like 10K a year cheaper than lots of privates when all is said and done?

2. analu

analu Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You might inquire about a private loan program, like Medloans' Alternative Loan Program. I'm assuming that the $11000 is your EFC, so UCLA is only giving you Staffords and grants toward your student budget, minus the $11K. Private loans can fill the gap, and although these loans also are deferred until after graduation, the interest rate and origination fees tend to be somewhat higher.

Bottom line: talk to your FAO about your options in filling that gap. I'm sure you're not the only one.

Good luck:)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D insipidus maximus
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After submitting your financial aid information electronically, how long does it take for you to get your financial aid award? I've heard some people are still waiting after having submitted it weeks ago.

4. OP
    OP
    Milhouse Van Houten

10+ Year Member

i submitted it about two MONTHS ago.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

are you a cali resident?

6. OP
    OP
    Milhouse Van Houten

10+ Year Member

yes i'm a california resident. i don't get it, my family doesn't really make an incredible amount of money.

7. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

11k a yr isn't really that much to pay at all.

u said ur parents don't make an incredible amount of money. well that doesn't sound like u r straight outta the ghetto. sounds like u r middle class. if u were really financial needy, then ucla would prob have given u a bigger loan.

its very true that UCs r incredibly stingy w/ financial support (very little grant/mostly loans). i'm glad i didn't get tricked into going there w/ their cheap-ass regents scholarship for underg.

8. OP
    OP
    Milhouse Van Houten

10+ Year Member

there's no doubt that if i were more financially needy that ucla would have given me more; but, the fact is i don't know where to get the other 11K because they didn't offer it to me in loans. if i'm expected to get it from my parents, it just isn't going to happen. my parents turned off the money faucet when i graduated from undergrad. so although it appears that maybe my parents could and should help me out to whatever UCLA says is my parent's expected family contribution, they're not going to. so basically i'll be graduating from UCLA with a 140K debt. kind of funny that i withdrew from Penn because i thought UCLA was so much cheaper. by the way, why are medicine and nursing the only professional schools in which your parents income is considered for financial aid. i'll be 28 in my fourth year, and it seems kind of funny that a 28 year old's financial aid is still dependent on his or her parents' income. what parent is still supporting their kid for ANYTHING at that age ?! i guess ASSUMING that parents with more income are WILLING to help thier children isn't a perfect way for determining financial aid, but it's the best and most logical way to disperse grant money. kind of sucks though, 140K and all.

9. MD4real

MD4real Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

If I understand you correctly, $140 K is the total costs of your FOUR-year med education at UCLA.

Just out of curiosity, how much money is UCLA willing to GIVE you in terms of scholarships and grants (not including loans) in the next FOUR years?

10. OP
    OP
    Milhouse Van Houten

10+ Year Member

assuming i receive the exact same grant money each year, it would be a total of about 6K over the four years. so i guess my debt would really be 134K. yippee!

11. mocdoc

7+ Year Member

I was worried about the financial aid package at a chicage school I visited, and they said I had to eat a poop hotdog to get more money. I decided to eat at the Chicago Chop House instead.

~:laugh:

12. mocdoc

7+ Year Member

Hey Milhouse!

Sorry it took so long for me to say hi.
    Good luck with your financial aid package, it looks like many
    people, myself incluced, don't get our $$ until a few weeks
    after rent and other expenses are already due.

What company did you go through to get your Stafford loans?

13. OP
    OP
    Milhouse Van Houten

10+ Year Member

mocdoc!

man, i'd eat a thousand poop hotdogs to get some extra cash. holy crap. even unholy crap. i'd eat it.

so when does school start for you? ucla starts on august 5 so i've already had to pay a poopload of cash for my apartment and other stuff without having received any financial aid yet. it's a crapshoot. lots of poop references in this thread.

so does pitt have a top ten steakhouse or what?

14. mocdoc

7+ Year Member

Not too sure about the steak houses. I have to be there on
    Aug 4th for the white coat stuff. I think I finally have a place
    to live, some guy gave me his appt. and then pulled it out from
    under me to give it to his gf.

It was the dumps:laugh:

Good luck

15. MD4real

MD4real Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Milhouse!

Thank you for your reply. The debt of $134 K for 4 years at UCLA is too much for a public school IMHO.

16. CaliBoy

CaliBoy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Milhouse: the reason you only got that much is because you only requested 10K unsubsidized stafford, right? That's what the financial aid application told you to do. But you should know that you can at any time increase that amount up to ~18K which will cover the maximum need for california resident of ~32K. I know this because I went to the ucla financial aid office and talked with a counselor. So if your award package isn't enough you can go to financial aid when school starts and tell them that you need them to increase your unsubsidized stafford loan to the maximum possible loan right away, and you will get more money immediately.

Best of luck and see ya in 2 weeks!

Caliboy

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...