UCLA (Geffen Scholarship) vs. Mayo (MN)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Troyzle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Haven't actually received an acceptance from Mayo (though did just receive a "we're very interested in your candidacy" email), but I'm leaning towards UCLA, and I am possibly considering withdrawing my Mayo candidacy, but not before I ask you guys your opinions.

UCLA

Pros

Geffen Scholarship
Large class size = more opportunities to connect with new people (I'm a people person)
Best friend lives in LA
Geffen Scholarship
Girlfriend's family lives in CA, and I'm trying to stay with her through medical school
Geffen Scholarship

Cons

Large class size = less individual attention/lost in the herd. I'm afraid fewer opportunities will be available to me in a class of 170 than a class of 50.
Best friend there = more distraction from studies

Mayo (MN)

Pros

The Mayo name is much more respected by non-medical people in my opinion
Their curriculum amazes me (Selectives are dope)
Small class size = individual attention
Most Mayo students have 75% tuition covered, so money wouldn't be THAT much different, I guess...but still...Geffen Scholarship

Cons

Didn't jive well with the class there for some reason (tour guide and at lunch), but I'm assuming this was an isolated incident since I have a friend who goes there currently, and he loves it
One of my interviewers was pretty harsh to talk to, and he was a 4th year
Small class size = less opportunity to connect with people
Location = freezing, but I'm from New England so I'm used to it, but LA would be a nice change

My basic thinking is this: I would become a better doctor at Mayo, but I would be happier at UCLA.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Your only major con for UCLA is class size. However, if you're talented enough to get a Geffen I'm guessing you'll be able to stand out regardless of class size.

Also, the location in Rochester aside from being cold is also really isolated. If you have interests outside of medicine they're gonna be more difficult to engage in.

Reactions: 1 user
UCLA 100%. Selectives and small class size aren't worth less happiness and less money.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your only major con for UCLA is class size. However, if you're talented enough to get a Geffen I'm guessing you'll be able to stand out regardless of class size.

Also, the location in Rochester aside from being cold is also really isolated. If you have interests outside of medicine they're gonna be more difficult to engage in.

I've heard that you should not have any distractions for medical school from a mentor of mine, which is why I felt nervous to go to UCLA which is like the capital of distractions and Mayo is the capital of focus. Still likely going with UCLA, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some key factors.

Thanks for your help, guys!

I've heard that you should not have any distractions for medical school from a mentor of mine, which is why I felt nervous to go to UCLA which is like the capital of distractions and Mayo is the capital of focus. Still likely going with UCLA, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some key factors.

Thanks for your help, guys!

For me at least, this would be tremendously unhealthy. Not having outlets, friends and things that fulfill me outside of medicine would make me a very sad panda. I find that those outside things help to think differently and work better. I think it's a matter of how you work and think. If you want medicine to be the only thing you focus on then maybe mayo would be a better fit. Best of luck in your decision and feel free to pm me.

Reactions: 2 users
For me at least, this would be tremendously unhealthy. Not having outlets, friends and things that fulfill me outside of medicine would make me a very sad panda. I find that those outside things help to think differently and work better. I think it's a matter of how you work and think. If you want medicine to be the only thing you focus on then maybe mayo would be a better fit. Best of luck in your decision and feel free to pm me.
Thanks, Restitutor. I've done it before and saw greater success with fewer distractions (in my graduate program referring to my grades), but I, too, was a sad panda. And obviously being sad does not help your bedside manner and better grades does not mean a better doctor. So solid input.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Go with UCLA then my friend! Sure, Mayo has a better name is medicine...but only marginally honestly. UCLA is amazing AND you'd be happy!

...they didn't even send me a secondary haha. So, Well Done!

Reactions: 1 users
... your best friend being at the school is a bad thing? Are you ok?

Yes you need to focus on studying, but that doesn't come from isolating yourself. You still need to turn up with the bros and broettes every once in a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
... your best friend being at the school is a bad thing? Are you ok?

Yes you need to focus on studying, but that doesn't come from isolating yourself. You still need to turn up with the bros and broettes every once in a while.
Lol. He isn't at the school. He has a career that involves him partying a lot. But true chainz to everything else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Lol. He isn't at the school. He has a career that involves him partying a lot. But true chainz to everything else.

I was also very amused to see this one being listed as a con for us. :laugh: Come to both schools' Second Look weekends if you can, that's where things clicked for most of us. Hope to see you in Geffen Hall in a few weeks!

Reactions: 1 user
I was also very amused to see this one being listed as a con for us. Come to both schools' Second Look weekends if you can, that's where things clicked for most of us. Hope to see you in Geffen Hall in a few weeks!
I'll be there! And hey, just trying to stay focused lol, but I get why it seems like a weird con haha.