UCLA (Geffen) vs. Columbia (COA Scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ringwraith

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Offered a full ride + stipend at both these schools. Have a pretty good idea of which I'd prefer but my question is, would I be an idiot for choosing UCLA over Columbia or vice versa? Which would you pick?

Members don't see this ad.

Confused, do you have to pay full COA at Columbia or do you have a full COA scholarship? I think you should make that more clear

Both schools will set you up for your goals regardless of what they are, their prestige levels are essentially the same. Since money is not an issue, go wherever you think you will be happiest. Consider things like location, grading, proximity to support systems, and fit. Unless you want to match specifically in NY or CA for residency, there is no wrong choice.

If you are somewhat influenced by weather, UCLA is a good bet. This would be a really difficult decision. Any ties to one location? Do you like to drive or do you prefer public transport? The cities have very different feels, so there are a lot of factors involved. Does one have a shortened pre-clinical curriculum?

Ultimately I don’t think there’s a wrong answer. Both are great schools with great reputations. You have an excellent opportunity either way. Whatever you decide, don’t look back and don’t play the “what if” game

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Without knowing your personal preferences, goals, and aspirations, it would be difficult for us to give you any advice or suggestions. For me, I would go to UCLA because I love California!

Columbia has a stronger rep in my opinion, although if you are set on west coast then UCLA is solid too. Wouldn't be crazy to choose either as they can both get you anywhere. Congrats!