ucla harbor housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emoptions

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in UCLA Harbor and will interview soon. I was wondering how residents afford to live in the area. I am looking for a 2+ bedroom in a family friendly area. Does Harbor offer any sort of housing stipend? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am very interested in UCLA Harbor and will interview soon. I was wondering how residents afford to live in the area. I am looking for a 2+ bedroom in a family friendly area. Does Harbor offer any sort of housing stipend? Any suggestions?

Harbor has no housing stipend (I clarified this in my review of it, too, in your honor). Although I missed the party the night before, I heard that one resident was using 40% of her income to pay for her pad on Redondo beach. An attending told me it is doable on two incomes, but not when only one spouse works. Harbor is close to a lot of areas, do a search on Craig's list for Torrance, Redondo beach, or south bay area. It looks like you are looking at $1500+, depending on the area (prime spots are $1800+).

Best of luck

The most livable areas near Harbor are Torrance and Redondo. For a 1 bedroom you are looking at between $1000-$1500 per month. A small 2-bedroom in an older building can be found for $1400-$1500 if you're lucky. Just make sure you stay West of I-110, because once you go East you are into latino gang territory.

I lived in Redondo Beach and had a decent 1 bedroom in a nice area for $1400/month. L.A. is definitely not the place to live if money is a concern for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The most livable areas near Harbor are Torrance and Redondo. For a 1 bedroom you are looking at between $1000-$1500 per month. A small 2-bedroom in an older building can be found for $1400-$1500 if you're lucky. Just make sure you stay West of I-110, because once you go East you are into latino gang territory.

I lived in Redondo Beach and had a decent 1 bedroom in a nice area for $1400/month. L.A. is definitely not the place to live if money is a concern for you.

Seems like in SoCal $1700 is basically the going rate for decent housing, unless you luck out.
One of the faculty members suggested living "near OC" and commuting in because I have school aged kids. Whereabouts would I be looking?

Seems like in SoCal $1700 is basically the going rate for decent housing, unless you luck out.
One of the faculty members suggested living "near OC" and commuting in because I have school aged kids. Whereabouts would I be looking?

One of my colleages lived in OC, and the commute was murder, sometimes 2-3 hours. A lot of the suburbs in OC are the same, and generally the further away from the coast, the less expensive the housing. You should still expect to pay about $1500/month for 2 bedroom.

I would suggest looking in Torrance if possible as there are quite a lot of apartments on Alameda street that may meet your budget. The commute from their to HUCLA would be 15-20 minutes.

oh well, at least you get a nice (4K+) raise between the 1st and 2nd year...
and redondo beach rocks, did anyone else drive down there?