UCLA housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trudat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I live in Weyburn terrace...
1. what do u recommend: studio, 2 bdrm apt, townhouse?
2. do we pay 1st months rent or does our loan disperse in time?
3. What furniture do I need besides a bed?
4. should i get a car?

(actually this is for a friend...I haven't gotten in yet)

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to Pre-Allopathic as this is a Pre-medical school issue. Allopathic medical students read the Pre-allo threads and can respond there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay...well for the both of us...lets hope people find out. I'm thinking of a studio in weyburn...any rumors of this being a bad choice?

1. They're all good options. Studios and townhouses are difficult to get, so you'll most likely end up with a two-bedroom apartment.
2. Financial aid won't disburse in time so you'll have to pay it.
3. Bed, drawers, nightstand, bookshelf, sofa, desk, etc. --- whatever you're used to having in your room! :)
4. You will be okay without a car for the first two years. Plenty of your classmates will have cars and can give you rides to events, etc. I'm glad that I had a car for the first two years, though. For third year, you'll definitely need a car.

I applied and got the studio. If you want it, you should apply for housing early.
I will have my car with me for sure. It's LA !!!!!:D
The studio is not furnished so I will have to bring all the stuff I need (as UCLAmedstudent said).
And I paid the initial payment out of my own pocket already. it's $1018/month by the way. Parking is $75 a month so if you add them up, it will be around $1093/month.
That's all I know.

I got a studio, too. The bad part is that you have to come up with $1000+ (first month's rent) by May 1st.

I'm also trying to see if I can get a look at the place before then (though I'm sure I'll take it - as a UCLA grad, this seems like a pretty good deal. The last time I lived in Westwood - 2004 - studios were going for $1200 in my building, with nothing - electricity, phone, cable, internet - etc. included!).

I'll let you know if I find out anything else. :)

what u have to pay 1000+ for 1st month even if u move in during early august?? what about if u do 2bedroom?

I got a studio, too. The bad part is that you have to come up with $1000+ (first month's rent) by May 1st.

I'm also trying to see if I can get a look at the place before then (though I'm sure I'll take it - as a UCLA grad, this seems like a pretty good deal. The last time I lived in Westwood - 2004 - studios were going for $1200 in my building, with nothing - electricity, phone, cable, internet - etc. included!).

I'll let you know if I find out anything else. :)

1000+ that we're paying is not a first month's rent. You will have to pay your first month rent later before you move in (hopefully you will get your financial aid money distributed by that time). In fact, the 1000+ is your last month's rent.

what u have to pay 1000+ for 1st month even if u move in during early august?? what about if u do 2bedroom?

I believe this applies to any housing option that you take!:oops:

weyburn kind of sucks.

wtf thats alot of money....by may1st??????? thats early...and a rip off.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i'm an incoming grad student, and i opted for the studio. tell your friend it is very small (so i've heard...plan to drop by and hopefully see on monday), but if privacy matters...it does come WITHOUT a roomate. sizewise, the townhouse is supposedly your best bet. so, i ranked studio, then townhouse, then two bedroom. hope this helps!

btw..i've heard weyburn parking is assigned by lottery. kelvin, did you get any more info on this? i'd kinda like to know i've got parking at this place before putting down that deposit!

congrats on the studios..we'll be squished...but happy :)

btw..i've heard weyburn parking is assigned by lottery. kelvin, did you get any more info on this? i'd kinda like to know i've got parking at this place before putting down that deposit!

I heard that you would have your assigned parking, so if you have the studio, you will get 1 parking spot reserved for you. I think we should call and ask to see what they say about this. Congrats. on your studio too, we'll be neighbors!:)

Weyburn parking is guaranteed, as far as I know.

thanks for the info on the parking. here is the update on the studio: its not as small as people make it out to be. i saw room for a bed, couch, tv, desk, and probably an armoire. looks great for a studio apt.

Hey dreamie...when did u apply for housing and how long did it take for them to get back to you?

i applied april 9 and heard back on the 17th. i think it depends on whether it is guaranteed housing (through your program), or through the general lottery.

what if u request a roommate? how long does it take to hear back??

i'm not sure. but i think that for incoming med students, they do find housing for of all of you...

What size bed do you have? also, what kind of furniture should my friend bring? a bed(obviously), couch, dressers...its hard b/c the websit doesnt list the sq. footage of the acutal bed rooms...just the entire apt.