Ucla im

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frugal Traveler

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not from the West Coast and was fairly surprised (and excited!) to get an invite from UCLA. I've talked to several people about the program, but not specifically any internal medicine residents.

So... any internal medicine residents or anyone in the know... any opinions about the program? If you do not want to post here, then I accept PMs and keep them confidential.

Also in general, how much does housing cost per month in West LA?

Thanks for any input,

FT

Members don't see this ad.

Having previously dated a girl from LA (and hence visited a lot) this is what I know: the housing is surprisingly affordable (significantly cheaper than SF, Boston, NYC). Depending on how far you live from the hospital, the traffic can be intense. The program is great - not as good as UCSF but still very solid. I equate it with Northwestern: very good program made more competitive by location. Fellowship match is very solid.

I heard the housing was pretty darned expensive...but if your point of comparison is San Francisco, then perhaps not. You have to be careful in LA, too, or you might end up in a dangerous neighborhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that LA is more affordable than other major cities. I now go to UCSF so i can say that LA was def cheaper.

There are so many places you can live in that would be decently priced. Anywhere from right around campus that would be walkable or bikeable to santa monica from where you can have the blue bus covering. It's really not bad

But keep in mind that once you start moving farther away to the valley, sherman oaks area (which are great places to live), then you start worrying about traffick.

LA is a great place to live even for the 3 years of residency and if you hate it. then moveeee on. That's my principle.

GL to everyone and congrats on interview invite

UCLA's IM program is exceptional, to say the least. The amount of teaching and pathology you see are quite good. As a resident you will do general medicine at the university setting and county setting which are pretty balanced in terms of how many months at each. In addition you'll have access to some world famous faculty who are very down to earth. The residents are also very fun, outgoing, and love to go out around LA and explore the city. If you come here, be prepared to work with very social people who don't just work and go home, just being the nature of southern CA most people are single but there are a few married ones with kids as well.

Fellowship match is amazing, 100% match in GI and cards for I don't know how long. I think the general consensus would be that UCLA is the best IM program in Southern CA region.

Hope that helps!

Thanks NDESTRUKT.

I look forward to visiting UCLA in a few months!!! :)