1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

UCLA Info and Interview Feedback

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by juan7677, Oct 31, 2002.

1. juan7677

juan7677 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just interviewed at ucla and here are some updated stats:

The class of 2005:
    overall GPA 3.61
    science GPA 3.65
    DAT: Academic Avg- 22
    Total Science - 22
    PAT - 21

The interview at ucla was fairly short. Mine only last about 25 min. 2 faculty interview you. I had a guy and a girl. It was more formal than other ones I had and I was very nervous and not really comfortable. The girl, Dr. Evelyn Chung, was nice and friendly. However, Dr. Eric Sung was not really friendly. Basically he looked at me the whole time with a very stern look and it was intimidating. You really have to talk alot b/c they don't ask you too many questions (at least my interviewers didn't). I felt like I had to bring up the questions to talk about. They asked a few questions like "Why do you want to be a dentist", "describe your research", and "describe your volunteer experience." I don't think this interview went as well as some of my other ones.

You also have a student interview. Don't worry at all about that one. You talk to them as you eat lunch together. My student interviewer was really cool. He also told me that if you get an early interview you have a pretty good chance of getting in b/c ucla really only interview those who they want to accept. Also, he told me not to be too discouraged about my interview b/c he said that many of the current ucla dent students felt like they bombed the interview but still got in.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your info juan!
    so your lunch was 1 on 1 with the student?

4. juan7677

juan7677 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

some had 1 on 1. But others, like me, had 1 student w/ 2 applicants. There was a total of 6 applicants at my interview.

5. Star Babe

Star Babe Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Juan 7677
    what was your essay question about? do i need to learn about anything specific ahead of time? i have mine this monday... and i've started to get really nervous for it... what time did u get done?

6. juan7677

juan7677 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

We all had to get there by 7:15. Then from 7:40-8:10 we wrote the essay. Our essay question was "What's the most exciting of being a Doctor of Dental Surgery. And What concern's you most?" This question wasn't too bad but I heard other ppl who intervewed before got harder questions. After that, the first 2 ppl interviewed at 8:30 and the rest of us went to the student store to be measured for gown and glove sizes. My interview wasn't until 10:30 so basically I spent that time talking to the other applicants and also went to the biomed library to check my e-mail and stuff. The last thing we did was the tour. We were supposed to start a 1:00 and end at 1:30 but some of the people were running late so we finished up at around 2pm.

7. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The student interview during lunch. I'm going to bomb it if the student I'm paired up with is a female. I can't handle that. That would be an extra wrench in the cogs. Basically it would be kind of akward if there is subtle inappropriate attraction between the interviewer and interviewee. Appropriate attraction is good and necessary, but inappropriate attraction is not good. Eeeeeks.

I'm a nerd, just give me a book or test me on a paper.

8. ziptree

ziptree DDS
    10+ Year Member

Anyone who has an interview @ UCLA, PM me, I'll give you the rundown on possible interviewers and their specialty/personality if I know them. Or we can meet up on your interview day or something. shrug.

Good luck.

9. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Hey ziptree. Please share with us everything you know! Anything infor would be helpful!

10. KAP

KAP Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What essay are you guys talking about?