UCLA- Instructors with thick accents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epistudent2233

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with this?

Do professors in the Epidemiology program at either UCLA or Emory have incredibly thick accents? I find this to be somewhat of a barrier to learning, so I thought I should ask. Are there any EPI Emory or UCLA students out there?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a current student, but I did go to Visit Emory, during which the chair of the Epi Dept introduced the main profs and had them each talk for a minute or two about their research. I don't remember a single prof being difficult to understand.

Hope that helps! Profs with accents too difficult to understand is what made me decide not to be a statistics major in undergrad. It's definitely been a worry of mine.

My wife is currently doing her MPH at Harvard, where one of her classes this semester has a TA who shares lecture duties with the prof, and he has a HUMONGOUSLY thick accent (from Ecuador). Almost incomprehensible at times, I'm told. But he's incredibly intelligent at the same time and helps the class understand certain things better than the prof himself.

I wouldnt dwell too much over thick accents at this level of study. There's usually a great depth of knowledge and understanding behind it which is worth straining your ear now and then.