UCLA Interview--Hard decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nateholman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there folks! SO, I've got the following situation:

I pretty much had turned my nervous, tense medical school application mode switch to the off position, when I go and check my email yesterday, and what the heck? UCLA invites me to an interview! Cool right? I was pretty excited. Anyway, I've got a few issues running through my mind:

1. You need to have a semester of Stats to go to UCLA..I didn't think I was getting invitied for an interview, so didn't take a class this spring. I guess I could take one over the summer, but I am so sick of school at this point I'm not even sure I would pass it! Definitely a con.

2. I've already been accepted at a couple of good schools, UVA and Ohio State. I love Ohio State, and it is cheaper on the whole than UCLA (barring any scholarship offers, which I don't think will happen given the amazing students at UCLA.)

3. I am not sure UCLA has a lot of seats still available as it is pretty late in the season. I think my chance of getting in is smaller than it would have been.

What to do?? I don't feel like spending more money if I don't have to. I think UCLA is great, but I'm not sure I like the idea of having to take stats over the summer and also paying about 40,000 more (assuming I go to OSU). Any thoughts?? Thanks and good luck to you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I pretty much had turned my nervous, tense medical school application mode switch to the off position, when I go and check my email yesterday, and what the heck? UCLA invites me to an interview! Cool right? I was pretty excited. Anyway, I've got a few issues running through my mind:

1. You need to have a semester of Stats to go to UCLA..I didn't think I was getting invitied for an interview, so didn't take a class this spring. I guess I could take one over the summer, but I am so sick of school at this point I'm not even sure I would pass it! Definitely a con.

2. I've already been accepted at a couple of good schools, UVA and Ohio State. I love Ohio State, and it is cheaper on the whole than UCLA (barring any scholarship offers, which I don't think will happen given the amazing students at UCLA.)

3. I am not sure UCLA has a lot of seats still available as it is pretty late in the season. I think my chance of getting in is smaller than it would have been.

What to do?? I don't feel like spending more money if I don't have to. I think UCLA is great, but I'm not sure I like the idea of having to take stats over the summer and also paying about 40,000 more (assuming I go to OSU). Any thoughts?? Thanks and good luck to you guys!
congrats! if you don't mind, i was wondering when you were complete and what date your interview is. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Thanks for the congrats. I was complete on 9/20 and invited for the interview yesterday. I haven't scheduled the actual day yet, as I'm not sure what the heck I want to do.

you should go, whats the harm in having an interview at a great school?

just make sure that you look up the deadline to have all you pre-reqs finished which are required for admission. i know that some schools have a deadline of may or june 2008 for the entering 2009 class. . . although you may be able to get around that deadline if you explain why you didn't take stats?

i am fairly confident that DGSOM still has a considerable amount of seats left. they have only given out one batch of acceptances so far.

go. then if you get in and want to matriculate, deal with it afterwards.

As a UCLA interviewee waiting for decisions, I hesitantly give you this advice:

1) You can sign up for online stats courses. Plus, if you're not ready for more school, then you're in for some shock when September rolls around...

2) First year students get 5K scholarship, and out-of-state students get in-state tuition years 2-4.

3) There's plenty of seats available. They wouldn't bother interviewing students if they didn't. UCLA is very behind in the process.

Conclusion: go.

:luck:

i would love to have an interview invite from UCLA!!!!!
completed since 9/23... haven't heard anything from them

take stats and go to the interview

UCLA is such a ****in top-flight program, don't pass up the possibility

(of course i'm a michigan wolverines fan, so some biass against o-state is implicit)

1) You can sign up for online stats courses. Plus, if you're not ready for more school, then you're in for some shock when September rolls around...

2) First year students get 5K scholarship, and out-of-state students get in-state tuition years 2-4.

3) There's plenty of seats available. They wouldn't bother interviewing students if they didn't. UCLA is very behind in the process.

I like this idea...do you know if I could do a stats class from University of Phoenix that would be acceptable? This would be great! Thanks for your great advice folks! I think I might go now...

Are you sure about the in-state tuition switch from out of state? I just read that tuition is unchangable over the 4 years....????? Anyone, anyone??

Are you sure about the in-state tuition switch from out of state? I just read that tuition is unchangable over the 4 years....????? Anyone, anyone??

Read these two links. He's right if you intend on staying in CA which they have no way of refuting if you say you plan on it. You just have to do the stuff like register to vote in CA, register your car, etc...etc...to prove you intend on living here.

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/faq/residencefaq.htm

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/residence/establish.htm

If you have the money, the time, and an intention of possibly attending the school, you should go. It's always good to have options.

Read these two links. He's right if you intend on staying in CA which they have no way of refuting if you say you plan on it. You just have to do the stuff like register to vote in CA, register your car, etc...etc...to prove you intend on living here.

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/faq/residencefaq.htm

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/residence/establish.htm

If you have the money, the time, and an intention of possibly attending the school, you should go. It's always good to have options.

Thanks man! I just am still a little fuzzy on things. It says the following from your first link:

Physical presence California solely for educational purposes does not constitute the establishment of California residence, regardless of the length of stay.

I guess, from what you say and what I read, if you just severe ties to your former state through license, voter registration etc, that is proof enought that you plan on staying there (even if deep down you know you might not??). I guess maybe I'll call tommorrow and find out for sure as this is definitely a huge deal.