UCLA (IS) vs. Maryland (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireelf

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cost for me isn't a factor but I'm torn on where to attend. Any advice from current students is greatly appreciated!! I want to hear the good and the bad.

UCLA pro:
amazing faculty
no grades

Maryland pro:
recorded classes
cheaper to live in Bmore
close to family
newer facilities

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Cost for me isn't a factor but I'm torn on where to attend. Any advice from current students is greatly appreciated!! I want to hear the good and the bad.

UCLA pro:
amazing faculty
no grades

Maryland pro:
recorded classes
cheaper to live in Bmore
close to family
newer facilities
Maryland cuz it cheaper and close to family and also, top school too so why not

Members don't see this ad :)
Cost should be the only factor. Whichever is cheaper... go there. Every dental school will give you every resource to be a great dentist and (if you want) specialize.

People often forget that as soon as you take out your loans, they begin accruing interest immediately. Every second of every day you owe more and more money. For example, saving $100,000 at one school over another is not simply $100,000. Depending on how fast you pay it off, it could be ~$150,000 cheaper in the long run, or multiple year's salary (after taxes).

Go to the cheapest school you can go to!

Reactions: 1 user
heard great things about UMaryland, I've applied there also but fingers crossed for interview

honestly both great schools, but never underestimate family support.

Cost should be the only factor. Whichever is cheaper... go there. Every dental school will give you every resource to be a great dentist and (if you want) specialize.

People often forget that as soon as you take out your loans, they begin accruing interest immediately. Every second of every day you owe more and more money. For example, saving $100,000 at one school over another is not simply $100,000. Depending on how fast you pay it off, it could be ~$150,000 cheaper in the long run, or multiple year's salary (after taxes).

Go to the cheapest school you can go to!

I haven't forgotten about loan interest, I won't have any loans due to my personal situation. I really am looking for what student's experiences are like at each school. The good and the bad.

UCLA pro:
amazing faculty
no grades

Maryland pro:
recorded classes
cheaper to live in Bmore
close to family
newer facilities

I wanted to mention cost of living in LA is a lot plus the traffic if you live off campus. But since cost isn't the issue, I would look into the school strong clinical program. I worked with a doctor from Maryland and she said they got a lot of patients and hands-on skills during her years there!

I wanted to mention cost of living in LA is a lot plus the traffic if you live off campus. But since cost isn't the issue, I would look into the school strong clinical program. I worked with a doctor from Maryland and she said they got a lot of patients and hands-on skills during her years there!

Patient access is one thing I wonder about UCLA because the school is in such an affluent area. Any UCLA students able to chime in here? Is it difficult to find patients to meet all your requirements?

Maryland students, any trouble?

whats the total cost gunna be at maryland? ik they give instate after a year but after looking at the numbers its still gunna be over 400k cause the first year is said to be 128k and the other 3 years are 91k. just wondering if those numbers are correct for those who attend there now

Patient access is one thing I wonder about UCLA because the school is in such an affluent area. Any UCLA students able to chime in here? Is it difficult to find patients to meet all your requirements?

Maryland students, any trouble?
No, you will graduate on time. The thing is that when you're a D4, you get priority and you get the patients from the D3/D2/D1 in your care team in order to fulfill your graduation requirements, so no matter what, you'll finish them on time.

UCLA technically is honors/P/F.
At the end of the day, every dental school is gonna be hard no matter what. Go to the cheapest school, imo.

P/F 24/7 365 - cuts the amount of stress quite a bit young padawan

Only cuts out stress if you plan on specializing. If not who gives a damn if you get Cs pass the p/f joke called the dental boards. Get licensure and bam ur a general dentist and ready to hit up instagram big time and do a bajillion full mouth restorations and make it rich.

Oh and I voted for UCLA anyways cause ur in Cali with hot girls everywhere instead of in the middle of the war zone called Baltimore.