UCLA (IS) vs. UCSF (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stitcherator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
wasn’t expecting to get accepted to UCLA and had my mind set on UCSF but now I’m not sure what to think and need help deciding between the two!

UCSF:
Pro:
-closer to home
-summer off 1st yr
- P/F (+ letter that no one really understands besides UCSF)
-more “chill” enviornment

Cons:
-more expensive (~50k)
-curriculum overhaul my year so I’ll be the first (lots of unknowns)

UCLA:
Pro:
-specialization tracks
-cheaper
-closer to friends
-more well known to the layman

Cons:
H/p/f (could make things competitive)
More intense curriculum

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t really get the competitive nature from the H/P/F here at UCLA. In reality, a lot of the students in class of 2021 and the class of 2020 are willing to give out their study guides and notes that they made themselves. Yes, the curriculum is intense, but I have definitely learned so much over the last two quarters and it’s awesome. You’ll complain about the amount of curriculum, but you’ll also learn to appreciate it.

If you’re worried about summer off 1st year, what I have been told from D2 is this ranking with 1 being least intense and 10 being most intense for 1st year:
D1 Fall: 7 (your main focus will be gross anatomy, the rest of the schedule is pretty relaxed)
D1 Winter: 9 (this is extremely true, you will be taking 10 hours of physiology a week (~90total hours of material for the quarter), pharmacology, microbiology, direct restoration, cariology, evidence based dentistry, radiology)
D1 Spring: 5
D2 Summer: 3 (we are technically D2s after spring quarter)

If you wish to take a look at our curriculum and what type of quarter you will have here at UCLA:
UCLA Dentistry

Once again, good luck!

Didn't interview at UCSF, so I can't comment on the school. However, I really loved UCLA. The students there seemed really down to earth, and how can you beat going to school in Beverly Hills?

Either way, you can't go wrong.