UCLA MD invites for Non-residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RonBurgundy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Non-CA resident invites for UCLA David Geffen MD program?

wondering whether or not i should take a physics class next semester...

Members don't see this ad.

Physics is the best course you could take.

yeah i'm an out-of-stater who got a UCLA invite a while back...i didn't interview though because i had already gotten into a school that was higher on my list...

UCLA an UCSF both accept lots of out-of-staters

Members don't see this ad :)
RonBurgundy said:
UCLA David Geffen MD program?

Isn't it disgusting that you can just buy yourself a medical school named after you? It just dismisses the whole point of honoring people that have made invaluable contributions to medicine. His valuable contribution was some $$$, so self-serving.

BrettBatchelor said:
What ?!?!?!

My app at Jon Davis SOM is still under review.

HAHAHA. I'm going to open one up for real. It will be made up of our class of SDN members.

I sent my stuff in late to UCLA (late september). I just checked my status online and it said I was invited for an interview on 11/23(I guess it is in snail mail tomorrow). I am an AL resident.

Jon Davis said:
Isn't it disgusting that you can just buy yourself a medical school named after you? It just dismisses the whole point of honoring people that have made invaluable contributions to medicine. His valuable contribution was some $$$, so self-serving.

yeah that pissed me off too!!

To Jon Davis,

Do you know why David Geffen (co-owner of Dreamworks) gave such a large sum of money to UCLA SOM? If you knew why you would not say it was self serving, although clearly the school has his name and it's probably one of the perks of giving a huge amount of money to any school.

Napoleon4000 said:
To Jon Davis,

Do you know why David Geffen (co-owner of Dreamworks) gave such a large sum of money to UCLA SOM? If you knew why you would not say it was self serving, although clearly the school has his name and it's probably one of the perks of giving a huge amount of money to any school.

Thats fine, share with me his reason why he paid the school money. I think I remember something along the lines of HIV research. But, many people donate money for that cause. Still, I stand my ground.

unicorn06 said:
UCLA an UCSF both accept lots of out-of-staters

Correct me if I'm wrong... but UCLA and UCSF don't accept many OOS'ers at all. Private schools are the ones that accept the most OSS'ers.

Punisher said:
Correct me if I'm wrong... but UCLA and UCSF don't accept many OOS'ers at all. Private schools are the ones that accept the most OSS'ers.
In comparison to the other UC's, UCSF and UCLA accept a decent amount of OOSers.

In comparison to all medical schools you are correct in private schools accepting the most OOSers.

Does UCLA School of Medicine give preference to California Residents
Residence: No preference is given to state of residence. However many applicants come from California. Acceptees from California are more likely to matriculate at UCLA. Out of 145 freshman, 85 percent were from California.

Does UCSF School of Medicine give preference to California residents?

Yes. The Committee on Admissions gives preference to California residents, who make up about 80 percent of the entering class annually.

I think that both have a "preference" for CA residents. Although UCLA SOM on its website doesn't claim to. Funny.

CA residents are the best that's why. Losers...

Punisher said:

Actually, I was surprised at how many out-of-staters are in my class. UCLA definitely doesn't accept as many out-of-staters as in-staters, there's still a good chunk of people in my class that are not from CA. I'd say 30-ish out of 122 people. Interestingly, most of the CA residents went to a UC.

Jon Davis said:

david geffen's donation is the largest gift to be given to any medical school in the united states. ever. that can hardly be considered invaluabe. if you have seen the replacement hospital and other major improvements that this gift has helped to fund, you would not call it self-serving.

i have more problems with naming the hospital after ronald reagan... :confused:

striped sweater said:
david geffen's donation is the largest gift to be given to any medical school in the united states. ever. that can hardly be considered invaluabe. if you have seen the replacement hospital and other major improvements that this gift has helped to fund, you would not call it self-serving.

i have more problems with naming the hospital after ronald reagan... :confused:

Read the quote again, I said valuable. Bill Gates' foundation dwarfs his. But that is besides the point. It is still crazy that hospitals can be bought.