UCLA MPH vs. Dartmouth MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruins2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still debating which school to attend.

UCLA MPH (Health Policy and Management)

or

Dartmouth/TDI (Health Policy & Clinical Practice)

Any thoughts/advice?

I realize for some it's an easy choice.

FYI: I did my undergrad at UCLA, so pretty familiar with the school/program.

Members don't see this ad.

If it was me, it'd be an easy choice: go with the school over the program in public health. UCLA will have a bigger program and is located in an urban setting with (likely) more opportunities for internships and employment, whereas Darthmouth, albeit a great undergraduate institution, is lacking in location and size.

Honestly, since you did your undergrad at UCLA, I would choose Dartmouth. First you will get a new experience. Attending an Ivy League school will also expose you to more alumni connection opportunities when u need to find a good job.

Members don't see this ad :)
A good thing to keep in mind about Dartmouth is that it's only a one-year program. A friend of mine in the program actually recommended that if public health is my long term goal, then I'd probably be better off somewhere else as the brevity of the program is less conducive to developing PH expertise, but, if public health training is meant as a supplement to something else (MD, JD, etc.), then Dartmouth is totally the way to go-- Dartmouth's general alumni connections are phenomenal. Plus, if you're looking to settle down on the East Coast for a while, the Dartmouth name will open a LOT of doors. Hanover is also a really nice, quaint little spot in New Hampshire-- one of my favorite states in the country (and my home state, haha)-- with brilliant, and wonderfully friendly students/professors/staff.

That said, a UCB/UCLA professor once recommended UCLA to me solely on its Public Health alum connections and the fact that studying in a MUCH larger class of PH students greatly increases the likelihood of making meaningful lifelong professional relationships (though its training, facilities, etc. are clearly awesome).

Last edited:
I live about 2 hours away from Hanover, and sat in on one of Dartmouth's MPH classes and even talked to admissions. They told me I was exactly what they were looking for, and advised me to apply. And I still didn't.

Because Hanover/Lebanon, NH kind of sucks, frankly. Truth.

Unless you like to ski and hike in the middle of nowhere. I'd rather be in the city.

Good point. I'll back that up: Hanover itself is "in the middle of nowhere." It's about 1.5hrs from Boston (Depending on traffic), but super close to hiking, skiing, kayaking, canoeing, snow shoeing, mountain biking... you get the picture.

Unless you like to ski and hike in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, I suppose I fall into that category. :rolleyes: haha. I actually love Hanover-- to each their own.

Last edited: