UCLA MSTP-- something odd I noticed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilMissDrDoolittle

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was on the MSTP interviews, I noticed there were only 5 first year students. Don't they have 12 funded spots? That is pretty odd that a high caliber school like UCLA would only fill 5 spots? Is there some explanation? Are acceptees just deciding not to go there? It used to be one of my first choices but as I have gone around and seen other schools, I have noticed that UCLA has some problems intergrating the two curriculums. Is that why there was such a small first year class? Did anyone that is MSTP know if they have reduced their class size or did acceptees just decide not to go there?

Who all that got UCLA MSTP interviews/acceptances is seriously considering it and what do you think its strengths are. I need some encouraging info please!

Members don't see this ad.

Posted this on the MSTP Boulevard thread:

Here's the deal with UCLA: There are only 5 first year MSTPs. In addition, three of them were at UCLA for undergrad. The vast majority of their accepted students decided to go elsewhere. They admitted ~30 students initially and then went through their whole waitlist.

It is unusual for them to not fill their 12 spots, though there is some variation from year-to-year. Last year, they really did very little recruiting--only had students take us out to lunch, there was no orientation, and the day was kind of on-your-own, self-guided.

I think for this year they made some changes (from what I've heard from you guys and from my former PI who is involved in UCLA MSTP admissions). They were losing too many applicants to other schools not to change their ways. So at least it's good to see they're adapting.

Oh, wow, so I was right. You mean to tell me they accepted over 30 people and only 5 (3 of which are UCLA undergrads) decided to go there. That's pretty f'ed up! Are you sure that is why? How do you know?

Do you think the MSTP is weaker than the MD program? Well my question is, is the MSTP just as recongized nationally as the medical school and medical training? That wasn't my impression.

Thanks for the info

Members don't see this ad :)
Vader,

Does that mean that you have a better chance to get in if you apply for MD/PhD at UCLA? Or is that misinterpreting the statitistics?

Any MSTP is excellent, and UCLA's is no exception. The students there are very smart and motivated and all are receiving high-quality medical and scientific training. I don't think last year's offers/accpetance ratio was necessarily indicative of a general trend--it could be just a fluctuation. But the thing is they sure weren't trying very hard to get applicants to sign on. So people (like me) decided to go elsewhere. When you're dealing with a very small, select group of applicants, the little things do matter in getting people to come to your school, especially if you have to compete with other programs that have slightly better reputations.

Schoolboy, you bring up an interesting point. Your chances of admission are dependent on the number of applicants. UCLA's MSTP has a separate committee distinct from the MD admissions committee. They decide who to admit, reject, or defer to regular MD admissions. I'm not sure how many applicants they get per year, but I'm sure it's in the hundreds. Therefore, if you manage to get an interview (they probably interview ~70-80), there is a reasonably good chance you will be admitted eventually. It is all highly dependent on how many applicants decide to accept the offers of admission.