UCLA: Non-academic factors for admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katie88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been looking all over, and I'm interested in hearing about more or less, the informal non-academic factors affecting admissions into UCLA for my MPH.

Specifically, what kind of applicants do they look for in terms of non-academic experience?

One of my friends (who applied before I am obviously) recently got accepted with a below 3.0 gpa, average GRE score, and the only non-academic experience she has had was spending 4 weeks volunteering at a hospital abroad the summer before college. I asked her for advice, too, since I'm applying this fall, but she has been very vague, brushing me off, so I'd love any help on this.

Members don't see this ad.

You should have research/working experience in the area you are interested in. I worked in a epidemiology lab during my last year of undergrad and am working during my year off. I also volunteered in a community health group during my undergrad. I was accepted and will be attending UCLA in the fall for an MPH in Epi.

I had a 3.0GPA as a bio major and scored a 170Q, 159V, 4.5W on my GRE.

Maybe she got a boost from her status as an under represented minority? I'm not exactly sure how this factor impacts admissions, but I've noticed many schools place a lot of emphasis diversity

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe she got a boost from her status as an under represented minority? I'm not exactly sure how this factor impacts admissions, but I've noticed many schools place a lot of emphasis diversity

Well, if you think it's a possibility then she has to be unique from one or more traits of a social-economic, LGBT, cultural background, etc and how those traits would related to her career goals. But the big deal that gets you into a good public health school is your statement of purpose/personal statement and then letters of recommendation. Perhaps she wrote a very compelling SOP/PS. Hey, I spent 6months editing my SOP/PS because I wanted it to be awesome, yo. :laugh::D:D:D:cool::thumbup:

Also, ask if UCLA and yourself are mutually a good fit for each other?
You+UCLA = good marriage, ya?

What do you mean by non-academic factors, exactly? Regardless, my recommendation is to do as much meaningful and relevant volunteer work as you can afford. Find paid work if you can. Through these experiences, you should be creating relationships with potential recommendation letter writers. Your letters and essays must be solid. Research the school/department.

UCLA FSPH has the same minimum requirements as the other graduate programs at UCLA. This includes a minimum 3.0 GPA. If your friend in fact had < 3.0, than other aspects of their application must have been stellar. My reasoning for this is due to the fact that FSPH is highly selective. Admitting a student with below a 3.0, or a student who doesn't meet any of the other requirements, can mean the application goes through a lengthy series of extra steps among committees and faculty at the departmental, school, and graduate division level, including executive action from the dean.

So, again, your friend with the < 3.0 and "average" GRE scores must have other distinguishing characteristics about their application to be admitted to a top 10 program.