UCLA one year of general chemistry and biology with lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VooDooo327

GO LAKERS!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I just graduated UCLA this spring and was wondering what to fill out on some of my secondaries. A lot of schools ask for a year of general chemistry and biology with lab. The only thing is that UCLA only offered me chem 20A (w/out lab) chem 20B (w/out lab) and chem 20L (general chemistry lab). This is all the general chem I could have taken as a Biochemistry major.

Next, I took LS2, LS3, and LS4 which only LS2 and 3 have a lab. I took a lot of Biochemistry labs (153L and 156) but I don't think these count as a biology lab. I am planning on taking a biology class with lab at a community college just in case but how can I let those schools know that I am doing this since I am enrolling for this Fall 2009?

I'm not sure what other people from UCLA are filling out in these sections for secondary apps. Any advice would be nice. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi.

I just graduated UCLA this spring and was wondering what to fill out on some of my secondaries. A lot of schools ask for a year of general chemistry and biology with lab. The only thing is that UCLA only offered me chem 20A (w/out lab) chem 20B (w/out lab) and chem 20L (general chemistry lab). This is all the general chem I could have taken as a Biochemistry major.

Next, I took LS2, LS3, and LS4 which only LS2 and 3 have a lab. I took a lot of Biochemistry labs (153L and 156) but I don't think these count as a biology lab. I am planning on taking a biology class with lab at a community college just in case but how can I let those schools know that I am doing this since I am enrolling for this Fall 2009?

I'm not sure what other people from UCLA are filling out in these sections for secondary apps. Any advice would be nice. Thanks!

Hey,

I took the 14 series at UCLA but I think I encountered the same questions. I think generally med schools know that you take all the gen chem your school offers, and that it differs from school to school. I know for the 14 series, 14A, 14B, and 14BL count as gen chem, so that is what I put, and it seemed to be alright.

Also, I think the labs associated with the LS classes do count as labs, even though the labs for LS1 and LS4 aren't what you call true labs. I remember on my secondaries, I designated them as a lecture plus lab class.

I hope that helps, but just fyi I filled out secondaries almost a year ago, so I don't remember everything, haha. I think the best thing for you to do, if you want to be extra sure, is to contact each of those schools directly and ask. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wrote "Genetics and Lab" for LS4, and my amcas is verified.