UCLA or Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justkickinit

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to decide between Harvard and UCLA for med school. Here are some of my issues:

1. $- Harvard is going to cost an extra $100,000

2. I'm from san diego and I like cali weather and life, and la would still be close to family. I don't know what boston is like, that's the problem.

3. Would Harvard be worth the extra $ and moving away from what I know?... Does it help get jobs, residency programs, chics(j/k), if I want to end up practicing on the west coast. -I'm interested in surgery.

4. Some people say it's good to move out east for a while, others say that people from cali don't do very well out there.

5. The curriculum is different. Harvard is PBL and UCLA is more traditional with some PBL... People say PBL is more fun but can be frustrating and you may not learn as much. We all know what lectures are like.

6. Life in LA versus life in Boston...any opinions? I've never lived on the east coast.

In general, I'm a pretty kick back person. I work hard but like to have just as much fun. I want to set myself up for becoming a surgeon in california having a decent lifestyle. What do you all think about my situation?

THANK YOU! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You would be nuts to pay an extra $100,000 and live in boston. Boston would be HELL for a cali person. You'll get the same education at either place, and the opportunities will be 95% the same, IMHO.

best of luck!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by justkickinit:
• What do you all think about my situation?

THANK YOU! :confused: •••••What do I think about your situation? I think you're a lucky bastard! :wink:

I would go to Harvard hands down. I think the underlying fear of many is actually moving away, but I think that's a benefit of going to harvard. plus it would be fun to actually witness the four seasons and a snowy christmas.

harvard is the most prestigious med school in the universe!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys why do you all say that it is such a difficult thing for a west coast person to move to the east coast? Please excuse my ignorance because I have never been to Cali

Because the west coast is like heroin, once you're there for a while you're addicted.

Sincerely
An addict in pain

Both are excellent schools and no one can decide for you but I'd say definitely dont worry about concern #1 (the $ factor). I have heard that Harvard can open a great number of doors for you. I believe this is true, but then again, it can be true wherever you go.

By the way, how is it that you are still deciding. Did you get in off the waitlist at UCLA and/or Harvard.

Also, I think there was another thread about this. Check that out

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Moleculo:
•You are an idiot. :wink: •••••Yes yes...listen to Moleculo..he is a great wom..
I mean..man