UCLA Physics 6B - how much calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just enrolled in this course this coming summer, and before I pay $2,000 for it, I want to know how much calculus it requires. i have a 5 in calc BC, but i remember zero percent of the material.

is this just a "calculus-in name" course where the only calculus used is by the professor when deriving formulas? thanks.

EDIT: nvm...just saw some sample midterms and they look very doable. much more so than the physics at my old undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i do have another question

the university i graduated from is on a semester schedule with 2 semesters of physics satisfying the requirements. i completed 1 semester, so 50 percent.

UCLA is on a three-quarter system, with physics 6A, 6B, and 6C. do i need to take BOTH 6B AND 6C? my one semester of physics at my alma matter covered all the materials of 6A and most of the materials of 6C.

i hate these semester/quarter conversion systems.

i do have another question

the university i graduated from is on a semester schedule with 2 semesters of physics satisfying the requirements. i completed 1 semester, so 50 percent.

UCLA is on a three-quarter system, with physics 6A, 6B, and 6C. do i need to take BOTH 6B AND 6C? my one semester of physics at my alma matter covered all the materials of 6A and most of the materials of 6C.

i hate these semester/quarter conversion systems.

If you took only one semester of a prereq, you need to take two more quarters of it in order to satisfy the minimum requirement, if done at a quarter school.

Here is a quote from the UCSD School of Medicine's website. If this conversion applies to them, it should apply to other schools too, so I would be safe and take two more quarters.

One semester of Physics (meaning you would need to complete ONE semester or TWO quarters to complete the requirements).
One semester of General Chemistry (meaning you would need to complete ONE semester or TWO quarters to complete the requirements).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you took only one semester of a prereq, you need to take two more quarters of it in order to satisfy the minimum requirement, if done at a quarter school.

Here is a quote from the UCSD School of Medicine's website. If this conversion applies to them, it should apply to other schools too, so I would be safe and take two more quarters.

UCSD SOM only requires ONE semester of physics? wow...

unfortunately, most schools require a full year. so it looks like i have to do one semester + two quarters.

UCSD SOM only requires ONE semester of physics? wow...

unfortunately, most schools require a full year. so it looks like i have to do one semester + two quarters.

No, I was quoting their AP Policy. They allow exemption out of Physics and Chemistry up to one semester.

This basically means the same thing for you, since rather than passing out of one semester, you took one semester.

No, I was quoting their AP Policy. They allow exemption out of Physics and Chemistry up to one semester.

This basically means the same thing for you, since rather than passing out of one semester, you took one semester.

i see. thanks for the info.

so 1 semester + 2 quarters of physics with some overlap. that's actually MORE than a year of physics, tbh.

i see. thanks for the info.

so 1 semester + 2 quarters of physics with some overlap. that's actually MORE than a year of physics, tbh.

Yeah, but unfortunately, medical schools prefer more than a year to under a year. :(

Good luck!