UCLA Prime vs. UC Davis vs UCLA Drew( Waitlist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bree95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any help with this dilemma would be much appreciated! I was pretty much set to PTE for UC Davis next week and hope for an accept from either UCLA programs after the deadline(I was initially waitlisted at both) but, unexpectedly yesterday I got a call from UCLA Prime with an acceptance. Yay! The only thing is I didn't get any type of scholarship and the person I spoke to said after the 30th money can be reallocated but there is no guarantee.
UCLA Prime pros:
- Prestiege
-MPH for free
- Family in the area(my brother and a few cousins live in LA)
-Some of the best hospitals to train at
- Diverse student body
UCLA Prime Cons:
-The cost of living is VERY high in comparison to Davis, like almost double per year ~20k'-23k if I live in student housing
-Traffic
- I grew up with pets and I would really like to have some furry friends along this med school journey and I dont think they are allowed in the student housing(which I'm assuming might be my cheapest option?)
- Larger class size
-I didn't really get as good of a vibe from the students as Davis (hopefully I will get a chance to talk to students before the weekend to get a better idea of this)
- I got accepted into the west wood track but I would rather do Drew
UC Davis Pros:
- 10k scholarship per year(could go up closer to deadline)
- ~11k-13k cost per year for housing
housing
- I can have pets
- The students were so nice and willing to answer alot of questions. They even gave a presentation on why they love Davis
-Small class size
-Alot of family in the area(my sister and cousins live in Sacramento) and I grew up only 2 hrs south of Sacramento so I can visit my parents faster than LA which is about a 4 hr drive
UC Davis cons:
cons:
- some part of me feels like I will be missing out if I'm not in LA and living in a place I'm more used to and is slower
-possibly less chances at matching vs having UCLA on my degree
- I would have to pay for and apply for my MPH
-Might have to drive far for some clinical rotations
UCLA Charles Drew pros:
pros:
- I went to an HBCU for undergrad and would love to have this experience for med school while still getting an education at a top 10 med school
-family in the area(my brother and a few cousins live in LA)
-students were very nice
UCLA Charles Drew cons:
- pretty much the same as above for prime but I would have to apply for the masters program I believe since its not included at Drew

SO my main questions from all of this is should I ( 1.) choose UCLA prime and hope for some money after the deadline? (2) withdraw my acceptance from UCLA prime and hope for some more money from Davis while still staying on the waitlist at Drew and making a decision at that point if I get in?

Any input would be great! Starting this cycle I never thought I would have been able to choose between my top two schools and here I am. I'm so grateful! Thanks in advance!!!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are dead set on an MPH have you incorporated the added cost of added tuition and COL at Davis.
I would go with Prime. 10k per year will not matter in the long run.

Reactions: 2 users
What was made clear to me regarding UCLA PRIME on interview day was how tight knit the group is. They also have separate advisors from the typical DGSOM students. So despite UCLA being big, you will have a much more individualized focus in PRIME. I interviewed for both Davis and UCLA PRIME. Like you, I really wanna do my Master's as well. UCLA PRIME is the way to go if you want to to have a more formal structure and support system during medical school and incorporate that MPH in.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input! Your right the cost wont be much different including the MPH at Davis and its probably more streamlined at UCLA. I just need to decide if being closer to my family and having the smaller class size at Davis is best or if the focus and structure for my MPH at UCLA will be better in the long run...

Reactions: 1 user