UCLA Secondary: Worthless at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAmazingGOB

It ain't easy bein' white
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
August MCATer here, I just got a secondary request (that's right SECONDARY) from UCLA. I am interested in the school, but I'm OOS and already have 2 acceptances. Do you guys think it's worth it at this point or should I not bother and be $60 richer? Feedback from those who have interviewed there/know a lot about the school would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

wow this is really late for a secondary request from UCLA. i would say there is no point in sending it in, but i mean if you got a spare 60 bucks go for it. UCLA says that they have no in-state preference.

I would just go for it. I went to undergrad at UCLA and now work in the hospital, and I llooooooovvveee it. Plus, the new hospital is supposed to open in September, so you would have a brand spanking new place to learn at! Plus, Westwood is a great area, and we have everything in LA. The only problem (and it's a big one) is the traffic. On Friday, it took me an hour and a half to get back to my apartment....and I live 2.5 miles away.

60 dollars is nothing if you have a chance to go to an awesome med school and be in a great city. I say do it!!! and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
August MCATer here, I just got a secondary request (that's right SECONDARY) from UCLA. I am interested in the school, but I'm OOS and already have 2 acceptances. Do you guys think it's worth it at this point or should I not bother and be $60 richer? Feedback from those who have interviewed there/know a lot about the school would be appreciated.

they "say" no instate pref but the ratio is like 84% instate to 16% out?
Something like that. For a better number, go to aamc

they "say" no instate pref but the ratio is like 84% instate to 16% out?
Something like that. For a better number, go to aamc

there's a financial incentive for OOSers to say "no" to an acceptance.

its pretty late!

obviously being an applicant I don't know much, but I would say it's not worth spending the money - especially if you already have acceptances! I feel like sending you a secondary so late (I got mine back in September/October) just means they want more money... and EVEN THOUGH UCLA claims not to discriminate against out-of-staters, I think their IS/OOS stats make it obvious your chances are still low. If money isn't a consideration then you have nothing to lose I guess, but otherwise, I wouldn't :>

I have heard of a girl who got her secondary in Feb, got interview in April and now she's in her second year at UCLA.
I hope that helps!:luck:

I have heard of a girl who got her secondary in Feb, got interview in April and now she's in her second year at UCLA.
I hope that helps!:luck:
So basically she is saying "DONT BOTHER".

reckless/genes i'm pretty sure cal girl was saying to go for it because she knows of someone who made it in with a secondary that late...

and I agree with that. 60 bucks on a secondary is low for secondaries in general. UCLA is a great school, and why not go for it given the opportunity. Considering you've spent thousands of dollars at this point, I don't see why you wouldn't go ahead and turn it in is as quickly as possible.

Can't have a chance if you don't try...

reckless i'm pretty sure cal girl was saying to go for it because she knows of someone who made it...

and I agree with that. 60 bucks on a secondary is low for secondaries in general. UCLA is a great school, and why not go for it given the opportunity. Considering you've spent thousands of dollars at this point, I don't see why you wouldn't go ahead and turn it is as quickly as possible.

Can't have a chance if you don't try...

Yes, I agree with this.

OP, seeing as how UCLA screens, I don't think that they would have sent you a secondary if they weren't at least a little interested.

Personally, I'd give it a shot.

I would just go for it. I went to undergrad at UCLA and now work in the hospital, and I llooooooovvveee it. Plus, the new hospital is supposed to open in September, so you would have a brand spanking new place to learn at! Plus, Westwood is a great area, and we have everything in LA. The only problem (and it's a big one) is the traffic. On Friday, it took me an hour and a half to get back to my apartment....and I live 2.5 miles away.

60 dollars is nothing if you have a chance to go to an awesome med school and be in a great city. I say do it!!! and good luck!

Are they really just NOW finishing that hospital? That thing was supposed to be finished 2yrs ago. What is the unsafe old hospital (that damn maze) going to become?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I agree with this.

OP, seeing as how UCLA screens, I don't think that they would have sent you a secondary if they weren't at least a little interested.

Personally, I'd give it a shot.

I agree...I think that other dude who said don't has issues. All they can do is tell you no.

Plus the UC's are notorious for taking light years to correspond.

i don't know if i believe that much in making past ucla/ucd screens. I passed both, promptly rejected by both. unless you think your chances at ucla are really strong, i wouldn't bother.

i don't know if i believe that much in making past ucla/ucd screens. I passed both, promptly rejected by both. unless you think your chances at ucla are really strong, i wouldn't bother.

but don't you think that if they sent the OP a secondary this late it wouldn't just be purely for the sake of stealing their money?

and again the UC's are so damn slow with everything

why? ucla says it gives secondaries to about 3,000 out of over 5,000 applicants, thats pretty good in my eyes

Hey everyone, thanks for your input! I'll mull it over for a few more days. Quick question, can OOS people establish residency in California? If so, how?

Hey everyone, thanks for your input! I'll mull it over for a few more days. Quick question, can OOS people establish residency in California? If so, how?

yes...go to the UC regents page

just google Ca State residency

Or UC residency requirements

why? ucla says it gives secondaries to about 3,000 out of over 5,000 applicants, thats pretty good in my eyes

oh i guess i don't know the numbers. that is a pretty good screen.

i just know that i made it past the screen and got rejected not long after. and my secondary invite came relatively late too, near christmas. i feel like it is so late, that although they might not be intending to "steal your money", you might have merely passed their MCAT/GPA screen but will have a tough time distinguishing yourself. my instinct, which is totally flawed probably, tells me their screen is something basic like get over 30 MCAT and over 3.2 gpa, which could screen out a lot of applicants, like daydreamer's numbers? but such gpa/mcat may not actually get you in.

in the end though, i guess i agree with all the people who say just do it! it's only $60 and you really never know. maybe you are an applicant they really want, somehow lost track of and want your sincere secondary essays!

i'm the first to admit i'm a total novice at this, and not so successful so far.

Does anyone know if UCLA is rolling admissions?

If you do get an interview (probably late March or April) it might be for the waitlist only? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I agree, I got UCSF and UCD secondaries and after a quick month got the rejections.... the screenings are probably just numerical cut offs with automatic secondaries for those above certain numbers.

You'll never know until you try...so why not? Take a risk, it may be worth it :)

Glck

reckless/genes i'm pretty sure cal girl was saying to go for it because she knows of someone who made it in with a secondary that late...

I think these guys were being facetious :)

I wonder how much more $$$ in total must be spent for an OOSer to go to UCLA. I like the place and am hoping for an interview. I guess I could look at the MSAR in my bedroom.

probably, but I thought the thread was to help people and not be facetious :)

Eh, what the hell right, you've already spent thousands, what's another $60 gonna do. Better than wondering whether or not you might have gotten lucky with some crazy late interview.

Of course if you're happy with at least one of your acceptances and wouldn't mind NOT going to UCLA even if you got in, then you should obviously save the money.

If, however, you'd definitely take UCLA over either of your choices, I'd go for it instead of wondering.

But dang that is a crazy late secondary!