UCLA secondary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by scully, Jul 21, 2000.

1. scully

scully Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have alot of people received their UCLA secondary already? If so, are any of you taking the August MCAT? I haven't received even an AMCAS confirmation from them yet (I received them from everyone else a long time ago.) Has anyone else heard?

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Seg

Seg New Member

Yes, I received a secondary from them about 5 weeks after sending in my primary app. I took the April MCAT though - maybe they do not look at your application until they have received your MCAT score? Good luck!

4. nicolette

nicolette Member

Scully,
    If you're taking the August mcat and have indicated this on your AMCAS, I'm pretty sure you will not get a secondary from any of the UC schools which do screen. Unless you have a previous MCAT score that's good enough for them to send you an application, plan on waiting for quite a while.

Best wishes.

5. scully

scully Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks Nicolette,

Are you in the same situation?

6. Medschooldreamer

Scully,

I am writing the August MCAT and I am planning on applying to US Schools (I am Canadian). When is a good time to send my AMCAS application? Is it true that you are at a disadvantage if you write the August MCAT instead of the April one?

Medschool Dreamer

7. scully

scully Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    medschooldreamer-

I think it is best if you turn in the AMCAS as soon as you can this summer. While it is true that alot of schools won't even look at your file until they have your results (Oct.15), it is still good to have everything else processed before this time.

As for the disadvantage of taking the August MCAT--I think it is real, many schools highly recommend taking the April test. I guess if you only want to apply once it might be better to wait until next year and start earlier, but if you are impatient like me, you can take your chances and hope for the best. Good luck!

8. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member

I have not received any secondaries from CA. schools, but I'm not surprised, because I'm not a resident. The up-side of being pre-screened is that you're not being rolled for $60-$75 just for sending in an application.