UCLA students that applied to UC-Irvine - please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deuteronomy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCI is the only school that has confusing prereqs in the MSAR. It requires for quarter systems the following:

"biology and/or zoology........18 qtr hrs...and must include 2 *upper* division biology courses"

I took the following:
All Lower Division Courses according to UCLA catalog; do I meet their 2 courses for upper division???
1. Evolution, Ecology, and Biodiversity. (4)
2. Cells, Tissues, and Organs. (5)
3. Introduction to Molecular Biology. (5)
4. Genetics. (5)

Also, UCI requires "that on the quarter system, biochemistry must be taken with an additional quarter of biochemistry, molecular biology, or genetics."

I took only:
153A. Biochemistry: Introduction to Structure, Enzymes, and Metabolism. (4)

Does this mean that my molecular biology, or genetics course I took to fulfill my biology requirement will be used instead to fulfill an additional course for the biochemistry requirement or used to fulfill both requirments.

If anyone can help with both my questions, I will be indebted.

:love:

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say to help is that you don't have to have them all before you apply.

does this mean I don't fulfill the UCI requirements

I went to UCLA, applied to UCI, went to interview, and then withdrew my application. I took Chem153A and 153L. If you can, you might want to take 153L for it cannot hurt you and you can be sure to fulfill any biochem reqs (some other schools req/strongly suggest biochem. Hope it helps.

Be prepared to study a lot for 153L.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the Life Sciences classes you took is Upper-division, so no, I don't think you satisfied that requirement.

Biochem 153A is only one course, seems like they want a second one, like biochem 153B or 153C or 153L. Out of the three, I heard that 153B is relatively easy (I took 153C and 153L, but not 153B)

Actually, Cells, Tissues and Organs is an upper division class at my school (UCI) It is Bio 108, to be exact. Also, the genetics class and biochem class you took will fulfill the other requirements.

Check this out and look for classes that match the ones at your school. Read the course descriptions and see if they match:

http://www.editor.uci.edu/03-04/bio/bio.2.htm#gen0

If that link doesn't work, go to www.uci.edu, type catalogue in the search field, and then when the Catalogue shows up, type in Biology Major. You're in good shape. Good Luck!

CalBeE,

I find it hard to swallow that the core LS courses I took at UCLA meet all UCs except UCI.

There is something terribly wrong here.

The career center at UCLA during my freshman year said that the LS1-4 sequence would meet all med school requirements except some schools in texas.

AlreadyInDebt,

you're a life saver!!! I think the UCLA catalog may be incorrect in listing the whole LS1-4 sequence as lower division.

Anyway, was genetics upper div also for you at UCI?

thanks again.... I'll check the sites you provided also.

:clap:

Originally posted by Deuteronomy
AlreadyInDebt,

you're a life saver!!! I think the UCLA catalog may be incorrect in listing the whole LS1-4 sequence as lower division.

Anyway, was genetics upper div also for you at UCI?

thanks again.... I'll check the sites you provided also.

:clap:

Genetics is Bio 97, a sophomore class, so no. It was lower division, but scroll all the way down past just the core courses. The satellites also count as upper division. SMILE! You're ok! Oh, and ask people who go to UCI for advice about UCI... that way you won't be scared to death by comments that are wrong. hehe :laugh:

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
AID, the problem is that different schools have different upper level classes. A class I took at a Junior College was more challenging than the same class listed as upper level at CSUN. Unfortunately, it was NOT an upper level class. Classes such as Physiology and Anat can differ based on the school. Heck, there are schools where the same class is an upper and a lower division. The only way UCI will know is based on the number... I think...As such, I don't think they care about the actual name of the class, only that if they called the school where it was taken, that the office would say, "yes. This is an upper level class at our school.".. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, did you not notice that GTea withdrew from UCI post interview? :)

UCI specifically goes by course description. That's how units transfer. I know this for a fact. It never hurts to call and see. They will write it off if you bring them a course description and it matches.

Oh, and.......

I love GTea! :clap: I want to marry her!!!

mr. reddly, i gotta disagree. For instance, Calculus 1 cannot be lower div at one school and upper div at another. There's gotta be some consistency.

AID, I viewed the site and have one additional question. Are UD courses in the UCI biology dept numbered 100 and above?

AID, I viewed the site and have one additional question. Are UD courses in the UCI biology dept numbered 100 and above?

Yup... UD courses are 100 and above.

Members don't see this ad :)
The four classes you listed are Life Science 1,2,3, and 4 respectively. They are all lower-division classes.

There's no upper-division in the general Life Science department, but you can take Upper-divs in departments such as MIMG, MCDB, Neuroscience, OBEE, etc. (Any course with number 100 or above)

It sucks that UCI requires upper division science classes, but if they mean what they mean, then none of the Life science classes you mentioned satisfied the requirement.

Oh by the way, are you a transfer student at UCLA or something?

calbeE

I am not a science major, hence I am taking these courses to satisfy the pre-med reqs.

AlreadyInDebt said that the class taken at UCI equals the LS 2 and is UD at UCI. hence, I don't think we can use the UCLA catalog literally

calbeE

I am not a science major, hence I am taking these courses to satisfy the pre-med reqs.

Yea I figure it was either that or you're a transfer student. But yea I'm 100% sure the classes you mentioned are lower-divisions.

And it will depend on how strict UCI enforce this. What matters in defining lower and upper division classes is the COURSE NUMBER, not the content or course title.

yeah

lower div at UCLA, but not necessarily lower div at UCI...right CalBeE?

CalbeE, in the LS dept at UCLA, there are literally only 5 courses. LS1-5.

Its not like there is any such thing as LS 100 or something.....

Do you see what I'm getting at?

CalbeE, in the LS dept at UCLA, there are literally only 5 courses. LS1-5.

Its not like there is any such thing as LS 100 or something.....

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Actually Life Science 1-4 unless they changed the curriculum.

I think by upper division, they're expecting you to take classes in Microbio, Molecular Bio, Neuroscience, OBEE, etc. Many of the 100 courses in these areas only require LS 3 and 4 as pre reqs

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt

I love GTea! :clap: I want to marry her!!!

Sorry AlreadyInDebt, but I am a girl-loving male.

;)

Originally posted by GTea
Sorry AlreadyInDebt, but I am a girl-loving male.

;)

HAHA OMG!! GTea lead me to Green tea, which lead me to boba, which lead me to Peach, Mango, and all those other fruity flavors, which ultimately led me to girl.. haha... Sorry! Honest mistake ;)

f' UCI

It's a rather ridiculous requirement. I know one girl from UCLA who's a woman's studies major and I think one of the UC's (UCSD, UCD, or UCI) gave her a hard time for not taking enough upper division bio classes. It could very well be UCI.

HAHA OMG!! GTea lead me to Green tea, which lead me to boba, which lead me to Peach, Mango, and all those other fruity flavors, which ultimately led me to girl.. haha... Sorry! Honest mistake ;)

Well Boba has the "Balls" that you can "Suck" up from the "Rod" shape straw....so no it doesn't remind me of girls at all

I'm just kidding ;)

f' UCI

I actually think that taking upper division Bio classes will better prove that you can handle the med school classes.

Oh, and UCI is great in bed ;)

From UCI's web page: :)
In addition, applicants are advised to take advantage of the intellectual maturation afforded by a well-rounded liberal arts education. English, the humanities, the social and behavioral sciences are considered particularly important.

Does that mean you have to be double-majored in Bio and a humanities to get into UCI? :rolleyes: Aren't they expecting just a bit too much?

Oh, and UCI is great in bed

No no no, it should be "UCI AM great in bed" (You See, I am Great in Bed) ;)

That's why I'm nervous. UCI would be great, but I don't have either... Darn EE degree.

When I was up in Seattle. They didn't have 'boba'. Instead, they called it 'pearl tea' or something like that. Although I have to admit I'v only had one once. :( Though I prefer Cafe Sua Da... Ahhh Vietnamese cuisine... Yumm :D

Actually "Pearl Tea" is the term used in Taiwan, where the drinks originated from. Somehow the stores here don't find that exotic enough, so they call the drinks Boba instead (which means something similar to Big Boobs)

Originally posted by CalBeE
Well Boba has the "Balls" that you can "Suck" up from the "Rod" shape straw....so no it doesn't remind me of girls at all

I'm just kidding ;)

OMG, you are so clever and yet so dirty!! I love it! :laugh:

On a totally unrelated and random topic: Have you seen the commercial where Donald Trump calls some guy a "minute horny clock watcher"? :laugh:

Hey Deuter,

As Calbee was stating, the upper division requirements for UCIMC is enforced according to how the school classifies the course. Therefore, since LS 1-4 are lower division courses at UCLA, they won't count as upper division if/when you decide to attend UCIMC. The only way it would count as upper division is if you transferred to UCI before you graduated and then you'd get credit for the equivalent course at UCI. Although UCI does have the strictest requirements, we do have the most FUN students of all the UC's...:clap:

Originally posted by JRSCGSR
Hey Deuter,

As Calbee was stating, the upper division requirements for UCIMC is enforced according to how the school classifies the course. Therefore, since LS 1-4 are lower division courses at UCLA, they won't count as upper division if/when you decide to attend UCIMC. The only way it would count as upper division is if you transferred to UCI before you graduated and then you'd get credit for the equivalent course at UCI. Although UCI does have the strictest requirements, we do have the most FUN students of all the UC's...:clap:

Then you would agree with my assertion that UCI is great in bed? :laugh:

By the way, I wanted to let you know that I got on the Alternate list at UCI a couple weeks ago. Would you suggest another letter perhaps mentioning my most recent acceptance, or will they already know it when they are reviewing my application?

Originally posted by CalBeE

I'm just kidding ;)

:laugh: :laugh:

Oh sure. Like you think you actually know! *hmph* Just because you're a UCLA grad going to UCI Med... (j/k) :laugh:

Hey Deuteronomy,
I have a funny feeling that JRSCGSR has the correct scoop. :cool:

As for AID and CalBeE,
I think the East Coaster are going to wake up in a few hours, log on, look at this thread and say "WTF!" :laugh:

Off to bed for me. :confused::sleep:

Nite! I'll be sure to bump this thread so they get a chance to see what they are missing here on the west coast!

P.S. You, Slickness, Jlee and I have to hang out over break, man... I'm telling ya!

P.S. You, Slickness, Jlee and I have to hang out over break, man... I'm telling ya!

Can I join in on the fun?

Of course!! Haha :laugh: I'll get the info out! You do know that Slickness, Mr. Reddly, and I will all be jealous of you, right? :laugh: J/K...