ucla under investigation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

svalenzuela02p

I can't believe that UCLA is under investigation for selling body parts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I won't donate my body to them :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

i wonder how many more threads will be started on this same topic.

Well then.... I think we should keep this one......Does this news change anyone's mind about going to UCLA??????

Members don't see this ad :)
noooo. why would it change my mind???

Well obviously not you, but this thread may apply to some people like me who are applying to UCLA, thus it does belong here. Why are you guys so concerned with censorship, I feel like I am in the old USSR

Hey SvalenzuelaO2p,

Is this a bad joke or what ? Where did you get this news or rumor from ??

Originally posted by Legend123
Hey SvalenzuelaO2p,

Is this a bad joke or what ? Where did you get this news or rumor from ??

Go to the everyone forum, there should be a link to the news article. Two employees were selling off cadaver body parts to god knows who, various research institutes, etc.

And no, this doesn't change my mind about UCLA unless to go to UCLA they required a kidney or a testicle or some such.

No, I am not sour. I just went a little overboard when I read that a thread like this was closed down because the subject matter did not go with the forum, but I think it does. I am applying this year and this does impact me. What if there are no cadavers next year at ucla????

Wow thats really bad, and could definitely dent future donations.

Hey Savlenzuela02p,

Please accept my apology for my overreacting on your reliable source news. Bad apples do exist in this world class kick ass hospital and med school. Hope those involved will be prosecuted to the full extend under the the law... Good luck to your application.

Originally posted by docmemi
noooo. why would it change my mind???

How do you know they won't use YOUR body parts for scrap parts????

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS onceI had sex with a dead chick. it was really hot.

well until mom closes it....

this would have absolutely NO bearing on my decision if i were taken off the WL.

now unless med students were randomly disappearing, thats when i would stop to think...but outside of that...nothing would change my mind to go against ucla.

i dont understand!!!!! so what if two employees stole body parts. why would that change anyone's decision to apply or go there??

no one is overreacting. i just think that this question makes no sense. its like saying two employees at shell gas station steal money, are you still going to buy gas from there? what????

Originally posted by rogersce
How do you know they won't use YOUR body parts for scrap parts????

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS onceI had sex with a dead chick. it was really hot.

you're cool.

Well after that whole human trial scandal a few years back at Hopkins...did people just decided NOT to apply to Hopkins...don't think so.

I think you have to look at what the scandals are...if it's something like losing accreditation for many of its hospital training program, then yea, I'll be scared.

here's an update.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...u=/ap/20040307/ap_on_re_us/body_parts_probe_3

Head of UCLA Cadaver Program Is Arrested
Sun Mar 7, 4:18 AM ET Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES - The man who oversees the cadaver program at the University of California, Los Angeles, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of grand theft, but authorities would not say what he is accused of stealing.

Henry Reid, director of the willed body program, was taken into custody at his Anaheim home by the UC Police Department, following an investigation that has reportedly focused on whether employees stole and sold body parts from cadavers donated to the university's medical school.

UCLA said in a statement that the investigation is continuing and "more arrests are likely," but provided no further details.

Reid, who was put on leave in the past two weeks, was being held on $20,000 bail, said Deputy David Cervantes of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

UCLA said one other employee had also been placed on leave, but did not identify that person.

Reid's home and a nearby shed were searched by UC police investigators, said spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein.

Reid, 54, was hired by UCLA in 1997 to revamp the willed body program after a 1996 lawsuit in which relatives of people whose bodies had been donated sued the medical school and the University of California Board of Regents. The suit, still pending, charged that thousands of cadavers had been illegally disposed of.

UCLA attorneys said in court papers last month that they believed Reid had instituted needed reforms at the program, and a court commissioner ruled Feb. 10 that there appear to have been improvements.

The Los Angeles Times, citing people familiar with the case, reported that dozens of cadavers donated to the willed body program were believed to have been sold.

"We are cooperating fully with the Police Department, and will share more information as soon as police assure us it will not jeopardize their investigation," Dr. J. Thomas Rosenthal, associate vice chancellor of UCLA's medical school, said in a prepared statement.

Former Gov. George Deukmejian agreed Friday to oversee a reform of the program, which was one of the first in the nation when it was established in 1950.

The program, which receives about 175 bodies each year for medical research and education, first came under scrutiny in 1993 when hazardous medical waste was discovered inside boxes of cremated human remains, something school officials said should not have happened.

Originally posted by Yogi Bear
LOS ANGELES - The man who oversees the cadaver program at the University of California, Los Angeles, was arrested Saturday on suspicion of grand theft, but authorities would not say what he is accused of stealing.
Umm... Hubcaps?... or perhaps maybe kneecaps is more likely?

And they rejected me ? At least I know better than to sell body parts!

Considering that this is the 427th thread on this topic and it doesn't belong in pre-allo...I'm closing.

Feel free to contribute to one of the open threads in the Lounge or Everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.