UCLA Venice AEGD vs. VA Sepulveda GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cybermech

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking about these two is because I've gotten an interview for both, and I cannot interview for both of them due to scheduling conflicts. I MUST pick only one to interview for.

I've heard some decent things about VA Sepulveda GPR from one of the other VA directors.

I have heard nothing about UCLA Venice AEGD.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Pick VA Sepulveda GPR.
Stronger program,
Implant opportunities.

Pick VA Sepulveda GPR.
Stronger program,
Implant opportunities.

I see. Any thoughts on whether they program is more geared towards trauma and OR time? Or if it has more of a "general comprehensive dentistry" feel to it? I would prefer a more diverse "general dentistry" type feel if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Youre not gonna see much trauma at a VA based GPR.
You may have off rotation to a med center. Usually 4weeks thats it.
VA GPR= COMP DENTISTRY.
OR is once a week or once every two weeks

You're gonna be better off with GPR vs AEGD.

Youre not gonna see much trauma at a VA based GPR.
You may have off rotation to a med center. Usually 4weeks thats it.
VA GPR= COMP DENTISTRY.
OR is once a week or once every two weeks

You're gonna be better off with GPR vs AEGD.

I see. Thanks for the input. I will take these into consideration.

In the meantime, I just wanted to give this a bump to see if anyone knows anything about either of these programs?

I realize this is a little late for this year, but for future applicants, here's some info about the UCLA Venice AEGD

- It's a community clinic in Venice with 6 resident chairs, 14 predoc chairs, 4(?) pedo chairs, 1 oral surgeon on staff
- Experience in implants (surgery & restoration), perio surgeries, endos with microscope (1 shared between 6 residents), full mouth rehabilitation, surgical exts, cosmetic cases
- The only procedures we refer out are ortho, endo re-tx with post removal (we don't have post removal instruments), and difficult endos (e.g., calcified or dilacerated canals), but if you're interested in the latter, I'm sure you can try it out when there's endo coverage
- The director tries to keep all procedures in house so we get lots of experience and patients aren't lost being transferred back and forth to Westwood (main campus)
- In the first 5 months of the program, 5/6 residents have placed at least 1 implant
- Usually see 4-6 patients per day
- Salary of $20,000 with 10 combined personal/sick days

Hope that helps

I see. Thanks for the input. I will take these into consideration.

In the meantime, I just wanted to give this a bump to see if anyone knows anything about either of these programs?

which one did you like better?

which one did you like better?

Having been to all of my interviews... I think I can safely say that there is no "silver bullet" in the residency game. Each residency has its strengths and weaknesses. And a lot seems to depend on the motivation of the resident to pursue the procedures they are interested in. Generally speaking though, it seems that the AEGDs are more like a 5th year of dental school, while the GPRs give you more autonomy to do whatever you want, though you have various restrictions.

All in all though, I did not end up attending the Venice AEGD interview because I knew a former classmate at Sepulveda and ended up going on their positive recommendations. I think both sites seem great, and I wish I could have attended both interviews.